Modern Crusades

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Darthspud, Oct 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This might seem a bit overly simplistic, however,
    Is the current 'war on terror'
    just a new way of telling the public that we're off to bash the Muslim's cos we don't like/know/understand their culture.
    And recent events in London and Barcelona are just the justification for re-starting the middle age crusades , albeit with heavy armour and air-superiority?

2. Simplistic perhaps, but true in a way, especially from the US perspective, since Dubbya said God told him to do it, and as such it is now his sacred duty....:roll:

3. Just after GW1, a couple of US jurno's published a book, in fact it was a bloody large book very long and detailed, called....... CRUSADE.

At the time I was young and innocent(ish) and thought it all a load of tosh, I will dig it out, for IIRC it was all about the coming US crusade on the east, gain oil and wealth, lose pain in the bum middle-eastern countries and control the centre of the world!

I still believe that a key factor in Op Iraqi Freedom was to gain a good sized force bang in the centre of the Oil producing countries.

Also there isnt a country anywhere that can not be hit by land based US airpower now.

4. And the problem with giving the middle east a kicking is ?

5. WhiteHorse,
    any info on that publication would be much appreciated.
    I may have to get the ISBN for it as well

6. Darthspud,
    The book's title is "Crusade - The Untold Story of the Gulf War" by Rick Atkinson. Published in the UK by Harper Collins.

7. And having dug out my copy, I may got it mixed up with another book :oops: .

I am having a quick re-read to check though its not looking good so far!