Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moderator Meltdown 2020

Who shall be the first smiter of the ban hammer in 2020, and who shall be the first 'smitee'?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Observant, aren't you? It's in my sig block Trigger... best part of 15 years from day 1 of the site.

Are you dancing yet?

See, that is the one part of being an Aspie that is difficult. You're never truly sure you are imparting the proper amount of satire or irony when being sarcastic, and using a winky emoji is usually a complete anathema.

I am generally aware of your history with ArRSe in the thankless position of moderator, and equally unaware of any real deficiencies in your performance of the duties of the same.

I am also cognizant that this makes you familiar not only with all the players in a position to anything re: the general health of ArRSe, but also aware of the meme-like forever theme of "it isn't as good as it used to be" and the many debates over what is killing it at whatever particular point in time. The usual culprits being unbridled, free-range mongs.

It should be my obvious contention the real reason is the erratic actions of @Sixty.

In the thread in which I have been blocked, you will find I amassed 350 positive expressions from all variety of members of the site many of which I am generally at odds with, and also picked up a single Old from BB and a single Dumb from Lobster. Also in that thread, I am ironically responsible for a thank you to the COs for creating ArRSe to bring together people from across the globe to brighten the day of another member with a single word. His reasoning behind the cheerfulness my response brought him likely down to that resonance that old soldiers experience from similar histories upon first meeting. Camaraderie, the like of which, isn't found often outside the circle of those that have served. I even got a handful of Excellent and Like jabs for my defense I put up in public when it was obvious I was being fit up for the ol' double secret AGAI 67. Demonstration that my observation skills are not lacking.

It was my hope that you might be annoyed enough to mention something to the network, and perhaps, one of the supposed grown-ups, might actually give a damn and deign to actively consider and investigate the source as well as the enabler(s) of the insidious campaign against the community. But then again, it'll make money off ad hits even when any real community has left and it is only shit posters slagging each other off and spam artists left to create new content. Won't it?

Anyway... like many Aspies, I don't dance. But I thank you for the dance, just the same.

See, that is the one part of being an Aspie that is difficult. You're never truly sure you are imparting the proper amount of satire or irony when being sarcastic, and using a winky emoji is usually a complete anathema.

Then I'll give you some sage advice......

This being the internet, it doesn't really matter what people think or whether they agree with you in a thread it can get culled for a variety of reasons. If you derive some form of satisfaction from what you post & read then crack on, but moderation decisions are often (seemingly arbitrary) because:

• The number of likes/thumbs ups/funnies or whatever are irrelevant to the wider context of the merits of a post or thread;
  • Mods do this in their spare time, and the flow of posts and threads often outstrips a mod's capacity to moderate so occasionally binning or quanrantining is the only answer
  • The issue requiring moderation may be poster banality, off-topic posting (in the sensible and policed forums), or concerns about the genuine legal implications of what has been posted (one of the funniest threads in the history of the site had to be culled when a mod posted something that had one person so (faux) outraged the Police turning up at Good CO's mum's house because that was the (then) registered address of the holding company set up to administer the site's finances - so it becomes real world shit real quick). Because of quotes, circular references and so on it's not always possible to perform surgery to get the thread back on track, so the whole lot, or whole swathes of posts go;
  • Some people like baiting mods, some are just genuinely mentally deranged and stalk certain mods (look up BlondeBint in the wiki) and we (i use the term in the erstwhile sense) are human and occasionally just cull shit because of the tossers who post it.
..so don't presume that because you feel you have something to say that the site and the mod team have an obligation to give you a platform to say it. The pitfall some have fallen into is taking this mistaken belief and then wasting precious hours of their own morbid existence to wage a campaign to get the mods and the world at large to rally to their tunnel-visioned cause. Ultimately you just end up hitting the keyboard in a rage at the injustice of it all while everyone laughs at your expense. Just ask the site toilets who have never understood this.

So anyway, it's the NAAFI so reach down and find a pair snowflake and start dancing like a brain-spacca.

This being the internet, it doesn't really matter what people think or whether they agree with you in a thread it can get culled for a variety of reasons. If you derive some form of satisfaction from what you post & read then crack on, but moderation decisions are often (seemingly arbitrary) because:

• The number of likes/thumbs ups/funnies or whatever are irrelevant to the wider context of the merits of a post or thread;
  • Mods do this in their spare time, and the flow of posts and threads often outstrips a mod's capacity to moderate so occasionally binning or quanrantining is the only answer
  • The issue requiring moderation may be poster banality, off-topic posting (in the sensible and policed forums), or concerns about the genuine legal implications of what has been posted (one of the funniest threads in the history of the site had to be culled when a mod posted something that had one person so (faux) outraged the Police turning up at Good CO's mum's house because that was the (then) registered address of the holding company set up to administer the site's finances - so it becomes real world shit real quick). Because of quotes, circular references and so on it's not always possible to perform surgery to get the thread back on track, so the whole lot, or whole swathes of posts go;
  • Some people like baiting mods, some are just genuinely mentally deranged and stalk certain mods (look up BlondeBint in the wiki) and we (i use the term in the erstwhile sense) are human and occasionally just cull shit because of the tossers who post it.
..so don't presume that because you feel you have something to say that the site and the mod team have an obligation to give you a platform to say it. The pitfall some have fallen into is taking this mistaken belief and then wasting precious hours of their own morbid existence to wage a campaign to get the mods and the world at large to rally to their tunnel-visioned cause. Ultimately you just end up hitting the keyboard in a rage at the injustice of it all while everyone laughs at your expense. Just ask the site toilets who have never understood this.

So anyway, it's the NAAFI so reach down and find a pair snowflake and start dancing like a brain-spacca.
If you were still a MOD you could ban him, just think about that.

If you were still a MOD you could ban him, just think about that.

Or I could have banned you for suggesting I ban him.

Think about that....

Or I could have banned you for suggesting I ban him.

Think about that....
hqdefault.jpg

Deep....

The issue would be that I am thread banned for fending off the dribblers in a serious thread for three days, in a generally witty manner, whilst it remained unmoderated. Many others are continuing to battle this, because the dribblers are still dribbling unabated, in the currently, most trafficked thread in the CA. But it doesn't matter, because Sixty obviously does not give a shite, and will only answer to certain posters' dog whistles, whilst complaining publicly about the annoyance of the dog whistles.

Given a bit of consideration, you may find that the voice of ArRSe, in the form of "likes/thumbs ups/funnies or whatever" are the only relevant measurement of the heart of the community and are a reflection of the community's ideal of what the actual merits of a post or thread are. The community, after all, IS the source of the content, makes judgements on the content through the use of said buttons, and those individual judgements are that of the consumers of the same content, that fund the site through their exposure to, and taking advantage of adverts whilst consuming, or in donations towards the maintenance of the site. Sure, the cash machine chugs along merrily, even if half empty, but how long does it take for the little money makers to withdrawal themselves once they are well and truly disgruntled? And as the pool accumulates more piss and shite, how many new ones are you going to entice into becoming the new producers to replace the old producers? Further, what is the quality of the product going to be when those new producers were only enticed in because of their affinity for piss and shite? Vicious spiral that. Probably best to avoid it, if at all possible. And that is only possible if Mods actually want to do the job of taking care of the heart of the community, and if they do want to, they will listen to that voice, and prune accordingly, not to some personal idea of their own, or toward their own self gratification.

Given a bit of remembering on your part, you may recall that I may have previous for successfully instigating a bit of community-based moderator behavioral modification... sneaky Aspie bastard that I am.

At that time a few may have laughed at me a bit, but not very many, and not for very long. It appears there aren't very many laughing at me today either, other than the usual suspects.

The reason why a lot of Aspies don't dance is we either give a damn about what we give a damn about, or it doesn't exist as far as we are concerned.

I guess that gives away my position about ArRSe.

Laugh away.

Do you take sugar in your coffee as well FFS?

Ireland is catching up mind, producing some drinkable stuff like Redbreast but it's still doing just that, playing catch up.

Both coffee and sugar is something you poor people seem to enjoy. Back to your porridge spattered hovel, Nehemiah.

The issue would be that I am thread banned for fending off the dribblers in a serious thread for three days, in a generally witty manner, whilst it remained unmoderated. Many others are continuing to battle this, because the dribblers are still dribbling unabated, in the currently, most trafficked thread in the CA. But it doesn't matter, because Sixty obviously does not give a shite, and will only answer to certain posters' dog whistles, whilst complaining publicly about the annoyance of the dog whistles.

Given a bit of consideration, you may find that the voice of ArRSe, in the form of "likes/thumbs ups/funnies or whatever" are the only relevant measurement of the heart of the community and are a reflection of the community's ideal of what the actual merits of a post or thread are. The community, after all, IS the source of the content, makes judgements on the content through the use of said buttons, and those individual judgements are that of the consumers of the same content, that fund the site through their exposure to, and taking advantage of adverts whilst consuming, or in donations towards the maintenance of the site. Sure, the cash machine chugs along merrily, even if half empty, but how long does it take for the little money makers to withdrawal themselves once they are well and truly disgruntled? And as the pool accumulates more piss and shite, how many new ones are you going to entice into becoming the new producers to replace the old producers? Further, what is the quality of the product going to be when those new producers were only enticed in because of their affinity for piss and shite? Vicious spiral that. Probably best to avoid it, if at all possible. And that is only possible if Mods actually want to do the job of taking care of the heart of the community, and if they do want to, they will listen to that voice, and prune accordingly, not to some personal idea of their own, or toward their own self gratification.

Given a bit of remembering on your part, you may recall that I may have previous for successfully instigating a bit of community-based moderator behavioral modification... sneaky Aspie bastard that I am.

At that time a few may have laughed at me a bit, but not very many, and not for very long. It appears there aren't very many laughing at me today either, other than the usual suspects.

The reason why a lot of Aspies don't dance is we either give a damn about what we give a damn about, or it doesn't exist as far as we are concerned.

Laugh away.
Is this an incipient flounce?

The public have a right to know.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Laugh away.

Non-Aspie response: cheers mate, you just saved me from making a tit of myself on the internet

Aspie response: write a hugely long post fundamentally lacking critical self-insight and failing to see the optics of their own behaviour.

No, I didn't bother to read it, it's your own time you wasted.

No need to thank me.

Non-Aspie response: cheers mate, you just saved me from making a tit of myself on the internet

Aspie response: write a hugely long post fundamentally lacking critical self-insight and failing to see the optics of their own behaviour.

No, I didn't bother to read it, it's your own time you wasted.

No need to thank me.

Ah, well...

I guess that gives away your position about ArRSe.

Still awaiting the arrival of waves of ArRSers to enjoy laughing at my expense.

It's ok, I really don't mind paying for the party. I have deep pockets.

Latest Threads