Moderation

For CMT Skygod/ Disgruntled.

Understand why you two both want to be moderators on this board but alas we operate a  1 board/ 1 moderator policy.  This is to prevent the moderators having a tiff and deleting each other's posts and generally having a fight. Can you imagine what it would be like in the NAAFI with 2 moderators?

Anyway hope you enjoy having your RAMC board and spread the word.  

Always enjoyed working with your capbadge, very professional despite being some of the 'unsung heroes'

P.S Good CO is on leave/was whinging at me to do some work, so any probs send me an IM.

Do you want it to be retitled as AMS? Why not vote for a title?

Get lost AMS board my foot  :eek: Let the smug QA's log on to the professionally qualified board. They always go on about how rubbish the lowly CMT is stick AMS up ya Botty ?

That'll be a NO to AMS then  :-[

Does that go for QA HCA'S to?

CMT'S are far from rubbish the training you receive in some essential areas  is far better to what I received as a student nurse on a diploma course. I used notes form CMT/RMA lectures in favour of ones given to us by college one of my tutors on reading some of the stuff said it was more detailled than diploma required which i thought was Bollocks.
As the first contact for casualties good up to date CMT'S are essential and make the all the diference further down chain. I would sugest the qualification should require regular updating like ours does which isn't a bad thing.

nurse

firstly yes that does include HCA's and secondly dont try smoothing your way in just like all the rest ?? ;D and thirdly with regards to annual update read my post on one of the other boards on the RAMC Board ?

I'll give it a No vote (and no-one mention DMS)
SSM - i agree with what your sayin'. ;)

How about one of you chaps posting a glossary of terms and initials etc so that some of us non medical people can sus out whats going on in here. Ta

Tara Good idea will start now with a few :

AMS (Army Medical Services)
DMS (Defence Medical Services) Tri Service NO VOTE
CMT (Combat Medical Technician)
RMA (Regimental Medical Assistant)
HCA (no hoper)
QARANC (gang of no hopers)

let me no if you need any more ?

BARTS (Battlefield Advanced Resuscitation Techniques and Systems)
ATLS (Advanced Trauma Life Support)
PHEC (Pre Hospital Emergency Care)
DS (Dressing Station)
OD (Once Daily)
BD (Twice)
TDS (Three)
QDS (Four)
PRN (When Required)
STAT (Now)
NOCTE (Night)
MANE (Morning)
You may come accross any of these in this forum.

Hope this helps The_Tara

If you see any more - let us know   ;)

Thanks Guys
A couple more then:

HCA
CCC

What is the difference between RMA and CMT because didnt everyone used to be RMA? Does the RAMC have RMA's or just other Corps and Regiments and can RMAs from outside the RAMC become CMTs without transferring to the RAMC?

HCA (Health Care Assistant, (Nurse))
CCC (Common Core Course)

A i have not had much to do with CCC, i would be bluffing you if i tried to explain.  Its the DMS' latest major brainfart.
I think SSM is in a better posn to explain......

I take it CCC is the entry level for tri service non-registered medical personnel?

not something we in TA have come across yet

A really stupid Q then, if you are all working for the same goals, I.E saving life and making people better, why do you not all get on or is it just friendly banter here?

A couple more for ya TARA.

ACLS - Advanced Cardiac Life Support.
IVI - IntraVenous Infusion (Drips)
CHI- Closed Head injury.
# - Fracture
Rx - Treatment
and a few funny ones :D
HIBGIA - Had it before got it again
PAFO - PI$$ed and fell over.
FDGB - Fall Down Go Boom.
ACTS - All Cut to Shite.
CCFCCP - Coo coo for coco pops

Few approved abreviations

Hx-history
SRC-self retaining catheter
TFBUNDY- Totally f*%ked but unfortuantley not dead yet
                 or p1hold

the Tara unfortunatley the 'banter' here does have a bit of a sting to it. There are rivalries within health care professions espically in civvy street and some of it has transfared over to the military system. It comes from everyone being able to do bits of everyone elses job and wanting the presteige/salary of the'beter' profession. Aided and abetted by managers who would rather see Health Care Professionals fight each other than them. Little things like clinical grading(pay 2000 for nhs brought in in 1980's) still has nurses at each others throats. introduction of different training systems like traditional/modular P2K(project 2000) and diploma and degree nursing courses. Introduction of paramedics and them trying to find their niche with more big headed ones thinking they can do everybodies job. Drs wanting to do less hours in Junior house year and nurses diving in headlong to extend their role with no additional renumeration of recognition and the duties the nurse now can't cover being carried out by HCA's who now are splitting into their own heirarchy with NVQ levels in many cases the HCA has effectivly become the 'enroled nurse' with out the recognition or accountability.
At end of day we all have our role in patient/casualty care and our patients come first despite all the bickering.

Sorry bout the essay and the civilian slant (area i've more time working in)

WARNING NOVEL APPROACHING WARNING, WARNING

1. No only soldiers joining the RAMC can hold the CMT qualification and soldiers who transfer in.

2. There is a vast difference between RMA & CMT the CMT has the more advanced qualification. Sadly many CMT's dont have as much experience as some RMA's.

3. The Common Core Course was seen by many to be a major advancement of the CMT training (myself included) for the following reason:

The RAF CMT equivalent = takes 18 month to train.
The RN CMT equivalent = takes 2 years to train.
The CMT training used to be 15 weeks spread over 2 years.

So when the Tri Service announced that it would run a new course lasting approx 8 months to teach those core objectives common to all three services many thought what a major improvement it would be.

Sadly I now disagree with the course due to bad management and lack of practical ability the young soldiers are finding it difficult to fit in and are making mistakes which in our line of buissiness is not acceptable.

The course is taught and tested modular. ie. teach module one for two weeks take a test, pass, move on to module two. FORGET MOD ONE. When the CMT has completed all modules he/she is posted to Fd Force having forgotten most of the basics from the first six months of training.

Sorry will now get off my box, but please feel free to ask any questions you like.

GSW = Gunshot Wound
GCS = Glasgow Coma Scale