"Moderate" MCBs latest demands

http://www.express.co.uk/news_detail.html?sku=1264

DEMANDS for a ban on “un-Islamic” activities in schools will be set out by the Muslim Council of Britain today.

Targets include playground games, swimming lessons, school plays, parents’ evenings and even vaccinations.

And the calls for all children to be taught in Taliban-style conditions will be launched with the help of a senior Government education adviser. Professor Tim Brighouse, chief adviser to London schools, was due to attend the event at the capital’s biggest mosque. His presence there was seen as “deeply worrying”, and a sign that the report was backed by the Government.

Tory MP Greg Hands said: “The MCB needs to realise it has to move closer to the rest of the community, not away from it. The presence of Tim Brighouse implies Government backing of this report. This is very worrying.”

Terry Sanderson of the National Secular Society said the report was a “recipe for disaster”. He added: “Schools with even just a handful of Muslim kids will find they have to follow these guidelines because there aren’t the staff to have one set of classes for Muslims and another for the rest. The MCB shouldn’t try to force its religious agenda on children who may not want it. The Government needs to send the MCB packing. Schools should be about teaching, not preaching.”

The report, Towards Greater Understanding – Meeting The Needs of Muslim Pupils In State Schools, says all schools should bring in effective bans for all pupils on “un-Islamic activities” like dance classes.

It also wants to limit certain activities during Ramadan. They include science lessons dealing with sex, parents’ evenings, exams and immunisation programmes.

The holy month – when eating and drinking is not allowed in daylight hours – should also see a ban on swimming lessons in case pupils swallow water in the pool. When swimming is allowed, boys should wear clothing covering their bodies “from the navel to the neck”, even during single-sex pool sessions, while girls must be covered up completely at all times, apart from the face and hands.

The MCB adds that schools should ensure contact sports, including football and basketball, “are always in single-gender groups”.

Even school trips are targeted in the report, which wants them all to be made single-sex “to encourage greater participation from Muslim pupils”.

It wants Arabic language classes for Muslim pupils, and says the Koran should be recited in music classes. And all schools should ensure they have prayer rooms with washing facilities attached, it says.

In art classes, Muslim children should not be allowed to draw people, as this is forbidden under some interpretations of Islamic law.

And while the MCB insists that all British children should learn about Islam, it wants Muslims to have the right to withdraw their children from RE lessons dealing with Christianity and other faiths.
Even the most hardline Guardian reader should by now realise that these people are certainly not moderate, nor are they interested in integration. What they are demanding here is cultural supremacy.

These people have been terribly sly, though, with somewhat of a creeping barrage over the last few years, and government support. Hopefully this latest statement though will wake people up to the reality of this movement.

I bet the government tries to ignore this/sweeps it under the carpet, since it is terribly embarrassing for their "mainstream, moderate Muslim" group who is always the first port of call for "moderate" comment on any issue to come out of the closet like this.

When swimming is allowed, boys should wear clothing covering their bodies “from the navel to the neck”,
Have always wondered about the sexual predelictions of some of the faithful and insisting on this type of clothing for boys confirms some of them. You will note it says nothing about covering the body from the navel to the ankles!!

On a more serious note. The problem is these people actually believe that they will be able to insist on these things and have a better than 50% chance of getting away with it.

Rivers of blood? Gets closer every day it seems :thumbdown:

I have found that I can avoid much of the irritation that arises from this sort of 'demand' by exercising a form of reverse apartheid. I cannot go the whole hog of apartheid but I can ensure that I stay away from such people. Here, in the Scottish Borders, we have very few people who make such demands and my reversal is easy but I found that it also worked when I was living and working in London. This who seek to enter into my personal space are initially ignored. If they persist I walk away. If this is not possible, I advise them that they are unwelcome and ask them to move away. No debate. No basis for any argument. No fraternisation. Sounds difficult but work at it and it saves considerable aggro and does not permit them to exercise their agenda in any way that affects me.

I have only one word " fuck off !"

if they don't like it bugger off to a country more to their liking

Just as an update, found this on the grauniad website.

Can you guess who is listed as a co-author? :frustrated:

Attacks on the MCB are unacceptable

Friday February 2, 2007
The Guardian

The attack on mainstream Muslim organisations this week in the wake of the document prepared for the Conservative party by Pauline Neville-Jones and the speech by David Cameron has been deeply damaging. Cameron's speech equates the British National party with British Muslim organisations who want to separate Muslims from the mainstream. He did not name any groups directly. But his words and the Tory policy-review document combined have led to a maelstrom aimed at the Muslim Council of Britain, among others. On BBC News on Monday, for instance, Mark Easton reported: "Tonight the author of the report confirmed to me that they are likening the Muslim Council and the British National party."

Article continues
This comparison is false. The MCB calls for British Muslims to carry out only legal and peaceful activity and is opposed to racism. With over 400 affiliates, it is a body of Muslims in Britain which must be engaged with by decision-makers. Fascism is an ideology in whose name millions were murdered on the basis of their race or beliefs. Such comparisons legitimise the BNP. We note that David Cameron claims there are "five Berlin walls of division" but fails to list racism among them. The unnecessary attacks this week on the MCB and the exclusion of racism as an issue that has to be addressed are unacceptable.
Brendan Barber
General secretary, TUC
Sadiq Khan MP
Ken Livingstone
Mayor of London
Cristina Odone
the communist workers rag.

Fascism is an ideology in whose name millions were murdered on the basis of their race or beliefs
So is communism, Ken, yet I've never heard you criticise that...

As also was Islam in its expansionist phase, but it's not PC to talk about that...

Reading more into this (it also helps if you read the actual report), me thinks the express are over-egging it slightly!.

They (the DE) claim

Targets [for banning] include playground games, swimming lessons, school plays, parents’ evenings and even vaccinations.
Yet again, hysteria is allowed to take presidence over fact...:winkrazz:

Physical Education
The majority of pupils who are fasting are able to take part in most physical activities during Ramadan without putting themselves at risk or in danger. Fasting may make some children feel tired or drowsy, or even develop headaches due to dehydration. This may necessitate some Muslim pupils having to reduce their physical exercise. Schools may wish to consider and plan less strenuous activities in physical education lessons during Ramadan.

Examinations during Ramadan
It is inevitable that certain statutory and internal school examinations may fall during Ramadan. Schools should give appropriate consideration when scheduling internal examinations, since the combination of preparing for exams and fasting may prove challenging for some pupils.

Parents’ evenings and after school functions
During Ramadan, the evenings can be a very busy period for Muslim families, particularly if the breaking of the fast (Iftar) falls in the early evening. Furthermore, some adults will spend their time observing additional religious activities, like the special evening prayers (Taraweeh) at the mosque. This may make it difficult for parents to attend meetings or other functions in the evening during the month of Ramadan. The scheduling of parent evenings before or after the month of Ramadan would be appreciated by parents and is likely to ensure better attendance.

Exemption from fasting
There are certain circumstances and conditions in which Muslims are exempt from fasting. These include menstruating women, those for whom fasting is likely to have a seriously detrimental effect on health and physical well-being and those who cannot survive without taking medication or nourishment, for example diabetics. Those travelling on long and difficult journeys may not fast if it is likely to cause serious hardship. Any missed fasting days have to be made up at a later date or in some circumstances compensated for, by feeding the poor.

Medication
No oral medication can be taken by a person who is fasting. Anyone needing regular medication during fasting hours is normally exempt from fasting in any case. Medication can be taken once the fast has ended. Medical injections can be taken by a person who is fasting, although not those injections that influence body nutrition. Guidance should be sought from local Muslim organisations on specific issues if necessary. During emergencies, where a child’s wellbeing is at risk, medicine should be administered. Routine vaccinations should be scheduled for other times of the year.

Detentions and after school activities
When Ramadan falls during the winter months, after-school detention or activities for a pupil who is fasting could mean that the pupil is not able to reach home in time to break their fast. Whilst accepting full responsibility for breaching school rules, schools should be aware that pupils are able to carry out their religious duty of breaking the fast on time. A drink or anything to eat is sufficient and many schools do make this provision available when required. Some parents may request that their children break the fast at home with their family.

Swimming during Ramadan
In general, participation in swimming is an acceptable activity whilst fasting. However, for many pupils this activity may prove to be an issue, as the potential for swallowing water is very high. Some pupils or parents consider the risk too great and may wish to avoid swimming whilst fasting. Others may take the view that as swallowing is unintentional it does not break the fast.
No where in there, do i see rabid demands for the banning of "playground games, swimming lessons, school plays, parents’ evenings and even vaccinations." :frustrated:
MCB document on schooling. :winkrazz:

FFS i cannot believe people in government are even going to entertain those proposals , but if they want their kids 'educated' in that way let em clear off to a country which does & preferably sooner rather than later might even free up some housing stock at the same time :)

Mixed gender sports activities
Some sports involve physical contact with other team players, for example basketball and football. Most Muslim parents would find it objectionable for boys and girls to play such sports in mixed-gender groups. Schools can respond positively to this concern by making sure that contact sports are always in single-gender groups.

---

Schools should make every effort to provide a single-sex environment for swimming and allow Muslim children to wear swimwear that complies with the requirements of modesty and decency according to the teachings of Islam. Some schools have been able to meet these requirements in providing an appropriate single-gender environment and also allowing girls
wear full leotards and leggings in the pool. Provided these guidelines are adhered to, there should be no reason why Muslim children should be withdrawn from swimming lessons.

---

I haven't got time to go through 72 pages of it, and the express may have over egged it slightly, but the general tone of it appears to be that schools should make special arrangements for Muslims needs in all aspects of the school's activities, from sport to diet, to education, to prayer and worship and so on.

Sir_Prancealot said:
FFS i cannot believe people in government are even going to entertain those proposals , but if they want their kids 'educated' in that way let em clear off to a country which does & preferably sooner rather than later might even free up some housing stock at the same time :)
As Agent Smith said, you should take time to read the MCB report itself. I am not a fan of the MCB but the report itself is pretty balanced.

You'd see that it consists of "best practice" and "guidance" rather than demands.

The Daily Express report is the worst kind of journalism. I used to not believe that there was Islamophobia in this country, but now I am starting to think there is, mostly because of the lies told by our media.

Yellow_Devil said:
Sir_Prancealot said:
As Agent Smith said, you should take time to read the MCB report itself. I am not a fan of the MCB but the report itself is pretty balanced.

You'd see that it consists of "best practice" and "guidance" rather than demands.

The Daily Express report is the worst kind of journalism. I used to not believe that there was Islamophobia in this country, but now I am starting to think there is, mostly because of the lies told by our media.
"Best Practice" and "guidance" Will eventually become "Demands" Methinks.....

I haven't got time to go through 72 pages of it, and the express may have over egged it slightly
Then I suggest you do , as Agent Smith and Yellow Devil point out, the Express hasn't just over-egged it , they've distorted it dramatically.

Thread edited to remove the ridiculous.

Some of it has certainly not been over-egged by much though:

The school should avoid encouraging Muslim pupils from producing three dimensional imagery of humans and focus on other forms of art, calligraphy, textile art, ceramic glass, metal/woodwork, landscape drawing, paintings, architectural representations, geometric figures, photography and mosaic art.
Yes, it is put as "best practice" and "guidance", but this appears to be based on an extremely strict version of Islam. It is only a small step for this "best practice" to become legal best practice.

Also, despite it being couched in these terms, it is quite clear that this is actually what they want schools to do and are currently just presenting it as "guidance".

Essentially, what they are saying is that because "some" Muslims like to adhere to the strict interpretations, then "best practice" for schools is to accommodate these extremist interpretations.

its a pretty good guide to how to deal with the muslim god squad
and what to expect will be things there kick up about hardly demanding other pupils follow there petty rules though.

semper said:
I have only one word " fuck off !"

if they don't like it bugger off to a country more to their liking
Well said.

Rivers of blood? Gets closer every day it seems
How true.

Now PTP you can hardly delete my post without deleting the originals or are you going to continue with your double standards ?

I dislike how children of Islamic parents are pressured into becoming Muslims, I never picked up religion, it is too far fetched (Bullshit) for me.

Religion is outdated, overrated and slightly oppressive. I don't see why our children should learn about it in the first place.

Islam should not be practiced in a country that has been attacked by people claiming to be Muslim's and then citizens of Muslim country's cheer on the streets with signs citing the death of people that do not support Islam.

Fück off to Iran if you want to live under Islamic law.

[

The Daily Express report is the worst kind of journalism. I used to not believe that there was Islamophobia in this country, but now I am starting to think there is, mostly because of the lies told by our media.[/quote]

"Best Practice" and "guidance" Will eventually become "Demands" Methinks.....[/quote]
Why does it always seem like the 98% have to flex to accomodate the 2% ?We already dish up Halal meat in our school canteens. There is little enough time in the school week to fit in P.E without having to worry about trying to split classes up so they dont do games together or making sure little Ashraf doesn't mistakenly draw a stickman in Art. Do we also exclude them from Biology lessons that may involve the human form , if so where does it end ?

SP. what are you quoting there?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msr Current Affairs, News and Analysis 5
polar Army Reserve 14
M Aviation 4