Reference Image Modelling the Centurion

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
A bit of a Curate's Egg this one.
This is a modellers handbook for the Centurion; it's quite a slim volume about the size of an Osprey book, with a lot of illustrations of both the tank and various models available for it.

The illustrations in the main are black and white photographs, with a number of colour plates showing various colour schemes/variants of the tank. While these are good some are a bit bizarre, a picture of a Foden cannon in the AA role for instance, and some Israeli jets spring to mind. There is also one picture I am fairly sure is a Chieftan and not a Centurion.

It covers the tank's development in a very brief chapter and its service with Britsh forces is similarly treated. The majority of the book covers its service abroad, which is a bit odd but I am guessing is aimed at the model making side of things.

There is a section on the various kits available on the market, although the way firms and lines come and go I cannot vouch for how accurate it is. The last two sections on the book cover AVRE modifications and the final one is a brief history of it in combat.

All in all for the general reader I'd give it a 3.5, for a modeller or enthusiast a 4

also at
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/reviews/centurion.1057/

You're the mod.

However, when I first suggested reference threads on the MM thread I envisaged everything about a given topic being in one place, for convenience and ease of searching, rather than the usual thing where someone starts a thread on a topic that's already got a gazillion threads (qv. current Op. Sealion resurrection) merely because their take on it differs slightly from the general line of the original thread and it never occurs to them that chucking their ha'penneth in won't derail the cosmos or cause the sun to implode.

For which I blame a combination of New Labour education policy and Mark Zuckerburg.

But I digress...

Nice book, though.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
You're the mod.

However, when I first suggested reference threads on the MM thread I envisaged everything about a given topic being in one place, for convenience and ease of searching, rather than the usual thing where someone starts a thread on a topic that's already got a gazillion threads (qv. current Op. Sealion resurrection) merely because their take on it differs slightly from the general line of the original thread and it never occurs to them that chucking their ha'penneth in won't derail the cosmos or cause the sun to implode.

For which I blame a combination of New Labour education policy and Mark Zuckerburg.

But I digress...

Nice book, though.
It's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other really. If there's enough dissent from the hoi poloi I'll move it ;)

Latest Threads