Model Railways.

I've posted this pic before, but in a similar space, I wanted to get as many feet of track as I could. This is 4' x 8', so nearly the same size.

What I particularly like about a model railway is grade changes, and one track passing over another. The only thing I can think of is that as a kid, I had a 4' x 8' sheet of chipboard, and it was flat as a pancake. Well not this one :)

Yes I saw that. I quite liked the concept. Whilst mine's nowhere near as complex, it has had influence.

Do some testing of that old rail before nailing it down, it looks a bit far gone to me. No matter how clean you get it, it'll corrode again, double quick time. Always at the far side of your layout where you can't reach!

Do some testing of that old rail before nailing it down, it looks a bit far gone to me. No matter how clean you get it, it'll corrode again, double quick time. Always at the far side of your layout where you can't reach!
yes done that. I had a mixture of nickel silver track. I've also minimised the number of points furthest away. I've now finalised the layout, but I've only used what stock I had. Bearing in mind they've been in boxes for 35 years, it'll take time. I'm surprised how much still works. the next thing is getting the alignments right, then soldering the joints. My oldest loco's the Jinty and FS have been shedded due to contact problems. Whilst it's not very ambitious as a layout, it was meant to be simple and quick in a fairly restricted space.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Hi thanks, there's little in that way round here, but I have seen some of their output and it's SERIOUS!. As you say clubs aren't for many. They also tend to be quite cliquey for my liking plus I'm not clubby. I just felt like having some last minute fun.
I guess the choice is to build an accurate layout and get the fun out of getting the detail right - or build a less realistic layout and get the fun out of having the trains whizzing around it.

I think I can guess from the above what you prefer.

Wordsmith

Agreed. Some (read- all) of the stuff posted up in that thread is breathtaking when you take into account the camera. My feeble efforts get put up on that website, and while I think it looks ok on the workbench, it's an absolute shambles viewed under the lens!
ETA I still think military modellers are waaay ahead in the painting stakes.

I guess the choice is to build an accurate layout and get the fun out of getting the detail right - or build a less realistic layout and get the fun out of having the trains whizzing around it.

Wordsmith
Get it up and running, then modify as required, then try the hand at making it better. One feeds the other. I 've already spent less time on Arse. Next Week start on the Bowling Green, Then I'll be out more. Spent over winter writing a bit.

Wordsmith
If one spends enough time on the modellers' websites, reading the relevant magazines, or at shows then there is a lot of variety out there. I do find the completely accurate models of a real location quite something, and am awe inspired by people who go to the lengths of fitting point rodding, having accurate signalling & that kind of stuff.

However to me that's something I simply don't have time for unless I give up a lot of other activities. Afraid I like my Rugby/board games/military modelling & figure painting/cookery too much. To be honest while I love bunging together some models to go on my railway I get as much satisfaction getting my eyes down to about 24mm above the baseboard & watching trains moving through the landscape I've put together & perhaps filming it...

Oh, & this railway is something built by a friend of my father's. The sheer ambition of this is amazing...

Haven’t seen Hornsey that I remember, but I regularly look at Waverley. It’s the way the modeller of the latter takes his photos that adds just a little more to a superb layout :)

If one spends enough time on the modellers' websites, reading the relevant magazines, or at shows then there is a lot of variety out there. I do find the completely accurate models of a real location quite something, and am awe inspired by people who go to the lengths of fitting point rodding, having accurate signalling & that kind of stuff.

However to me that's something I simply don't have time for unless I give up a lot of other activities. Afraid I like my Rugby/board games/military modelling & figure painting/cookery too much. To be honest while I love bunging together some models to go on my railway I get as much satisfaction getting my eyes down to about 24mm above the baseboard & watching trains moving through the landscape I've put together & perhaps filming it...

Oh, & this railway is something built by a friend of my father's. The sheer ambition of this is amazing...
Quite amazing. The nearest I got to that was in the early eighties, and I mean the nearest. I did try, but then I had a whole bedroom at my disposal, that was until my second came along and forced me into the Loft. That was a pain because since it was a hipped roof which meant that you lost about 2/3'rds of the floor space . I did try of sorts with N gauge, but couldn't handle it; far to fiddly for big hands.

Anyway when we left there what was left went into boxes and then two Christmases ago they got me a trainset and sod me if I didn't get the bug again. The key thing is space. So many things are possible given space and 8'6 x 3'6 is tight in railway terms. So I suppose the the distinction between rail layout and a true model as such comes into play.

Obviously a lot of things are possible either a simple run on a small branch line, but in reality you have tailor your stock to suit. Or a more representational kind of layout which is my preference. The point is it may not stay that way. I've now emptied my boxes and of course all my stock doesn't have to be out at the same time. Got the shock of me life when I found another Churchill Tank lurking in the bottom of the box, so I've decided that can sit on a plinth in the village.

Despite my problems posting photos, the Layout has been finalised and consists of 3 loops with the ability to cross from outer to inner. No new track has been bought. Most of my model buildings are salvable. Toilet roll cores and biscuit boxes have now reinforced a smaller upper level. Now for joint soldering and power supply. However lack of use has hit the MTPD hard with only 2 out of 5 servicable.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kromeriz DIY 9
Legs DIY 58
S Royal Signals 24