Model Railways.

I couldn't find a specific thread on model railways so I post this here. I have long wanted to have a railway back up and running, but since 1992 it has been in boxes and the raising of families in small areas is not really conducive to railways. Now I've moved to my current house I've bagsed one room for my "Office". I finally decided to have one last bash. After much pondering I settled on a space 8'6 x 3'6. So the parameters.
(1) It should not be in the way and facilitate under board storage for the put me up bed.
(2) it should be built as cheaply as possible and use up as much existing track that I have kept over the years
(3) Although my stock is a mismash of items I have either kept or acquired
So how to start?
My room having acquired a desk for £20.00 I now had a sideboard in it that is capacious and useful for storage. That I didn't want to get rid of. So decapitated said item which means that if it ever did come to using it again. It can be restored. It just unscrewed. four pieces of 2 x 1 I had a frame attached to the top and the baseboards 2ft,x 4ft trimmed to3'6, 1/2 " fiberboard did the trick. I had two other pieces in stock. I had a spare pack of floor underlay for floor boards and found they covered the boards adequtely, about six were used.
Voila one baseboard. Total cost about £30. The Rolling stock is kept in the drawers of the side board.
the
I am now in the process of working out the running layout.
I had decided that I wanted a raised section and purely as an experiment cut up two toilet roll cores as card in compression will take the weight. You can see that running along the wall.

I can't show you any pictures of the tanks I used to build, they are long gone, but there's something about trains.............

Attachments

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
'L' shape with a fiddle yard running along a wall; fiddle yard to be stored under the (narrower) station baseboard when not in use. That lets you model the cliched branch line station: two platforms, goods yard, small engine shed and so on. Gentle curve coming in from the resulting right angle and you've still got 5 ft+ to model your station.

Wordsmith

Thanks for that
Literally in the process of selling off the last 30-40 00 gauge stuff from my childhood.
If you've some old chassis or a couple of 4-4-0's I'd be interested.

Bugger no sorry. 4-6-2 & 2-4-2 plus diesels left.
I need to get a piccie taken for my final selling effort before it gets charity shopped so I'll stick one on here.

Apropos, if you're in range of Beer (the Devonshire village, not the local pub) then a trip to Pecorama might be useful for layout ideas. We went for a day out there end of 2016 and the theme was how to utilise different spaces in your house for a layout. They may have changed it around for last year's grockle season, mind, but it will still serve as a working idea factory of how to build a layout whilst maximising zed-bed storage and so on.

Some piccies here:-

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...hoto-collection.173251/page-2052#post-7503279

That's a frightening amount of track.
Man, there are some nutters out there. Looks like he's built the D Site sorting sidings in Bicester!

Have you considered your local model railway club? I'm sure they could give help/advice if you wish? Though a visit to a few meetings might be a better idea if you want to pick up a few tips without anybody interfering as such. These days they'd be glad of new blood I'd imagine- but club life isn't for everybody.

I've posted this pic before, but in a similar space, I wanted to get as many feet of track as I could. This is 4' x 8', so nearly the same size.

What I particularly like about a model railway is grade changes, and one track passing over another. The only thing I can think of is that as a kid, I had a 4' x 8' sheet of chipboard, and it was flat as a pancake. Well not this one :)

Have you considered your local model railway club? I'm sure they could give help/advice if you wish? Though a visit to a few meetings might be a better idea if you want to pick up a few tips without anybody interfering as such. These days they'd be glad of new blood I'd imagine- but club life isn't for everybody.
Hi thanks, there's little in that way round here, but I have seen some of their output and it's SERIOUS!. As you say clubs aren't for many. They also tend to be quite cliquey for my liking plus I'm not clubby. I just felt like having some last minute fun. That said I've been to a few exhibitions and get my ideas from them. Broadly a want a few circuits and I've almost constructed three in the last few days. I have six engines 2x coronations, 1 x0-4-0 that I can have fun with. I jinty I bought last year. I x FS plus 2 years ago the kids bought me a set so I have Duck of Gloucester. I've a rake of Coronations,one of Gresley's ( which incidentally I always rated as one of Hornby's best models) and a rake of Pullmans. Plus a fair amount of freight.

So I can run three authentic trains. No Western thankfully. I have the advantage that the other Coronation has a different name, so can be interchanged. However I have a spare body and tender for a Midland 440 and have been looking for a chassis and a smaller fowler 440 which has had some serious re engineering and I've made the frames from sheet brass rifled from an old clock as the original plastic one fell apart. If I can get that running I would be chuffed. But I don't need much more.

There is a tendency to get loco's cos they can be got, sort of Loco jealousy, but in real life they were always in short supply, they were serious capital investment. In essence I'm overstocked on the glitz factor and under in grime department. I've a box full of spares including motors as I used to build my own from Airfix kits and Hornby spares. What niggles me more is that places like "Puffers" are now scarce. It has to be said there was a time when model trains provided a life line when cash was scarce.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kromeriz DIY 9
Legs DIY 58
S Royal Signals 24