model making kit.

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by BWnutter, Apr 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. im away shortly on a PJNCO cadre in the mountains of scotland (not that it really makes a difference) and i was just wondering if amongst the wealth of experience on her anyone would be able to suggest a decent model making kit, i.e what to take and how much.

2. Keep it simple. Describe objects as you put them down. The square that you put down can be a circle if you say it is. Scale only applies to the terrain, not to the objects that you use. The object that you put down to symbolise a tank can be three times as big as the object you use for a house - it doesn't matter. The words that you use as you are setting the scene are what matters, the rest is just there as a reminder. It does help if you use colours to denote friendly or enemy. Shapes can help, but there is a limit to the number of shapes you can produce and, more importantly, can produce while keeping the words flowing.

Similarly, laminated card with NATO symbols for weapon systems will look impressive (blue one side, orange the other), but not if you're mumbling while you're fumbling for them.

Consider that you may be giving your presentation in the middle of a hurricane and pouring rain. You may be better off picking up a handful of stones (saves carrying them) and wrapping coloured elastic bands around them. Alternatively, use coloured plastic cocktail sticks. It's lighter than a gucci model kit, doesn't rattle and takes up negligible space.

Use your imagination and infuse your audience with the same.

3. The index cards are a good idea, I've used it myself. Coloured yarn is also handy for things like roads, streams, phase lines.

If you want to go all-out (I do), you can get little model tanks in 1/300 scale from companies like Heroics and Ross for about 50p each. You have to paint them yourself though. The good news is they're small, about an inch long so they're easy to carry, and you can have really Challenger, T-55s, etc. The bad news is they're small, about an inch long. Not much use for high-level situations, but can be used if you only have, say, a section of men watching. Otherwise, matchbox cars can be handy. A bit more visible, but just land rovers can take up a lot of room in your backpack.

Pushpins, preferably the type with the big coloured plastic heads. Can be used either to hold the index cards or yarn in position, or can be used to represent people/things. Can also be used if you're working on a wall-board.

Old wargaming trick is a small piece of thin green cloth. Think the sort of thing that you might get if you opened up a pillow case, so it's a couple of feet square, but not exactly bulky to carry. Place various items such as rocks on the ground to represent the elevation changes, drape the cloth on top. Voila, you have instant elevation terrain, and you also have a 'clean' working area so that you don't have wisecracks like "OK. This brick is a tank. That stick is a tree. This pin is you." "What's that?" "It's a rock. Ignore it". You can put your pushpins, yarn, index cards, etc on top of it and they will be easily seen without any clutter of dirt, twigs, or whatever.

NTM

4. Is there not already a thread on this?

5. Keep it all together in a tobacco tin 9you can use the lid for something and the base something else.

6. On what? California T's 'thin green cloth"? :lol:

7. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

That thread's called the "thin green line."

S'ok, I'm puttin' me coat on.

8. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

15 laminated, 3'x2', each of White (RVs, etc), Red (enemy) and Blue (Friendly) card/paper, and a thick black pen.

That's it (keep it where you like).

Forage for the rest.

I once asked one of my lads to make me a model that included a re-entrant in Sennybrodge while I nipped up to a sniper posn firing at my Obj. It was raining, and when I came back down, they'd diverted a trickle of water through the exact right place. Even made me a brew too - legends the lot of them.

dpm

9. thanks alot all, very useful suggestions from one and all.

10. I hear Airfix are good for model making :lol:

Yes, yes, I'll close the door on my way out :roll:

11. A selection of legomen with different coloured tops on. I've seen it done - and it worked exceptionally well!

12. Dont carry any extra wait, use your fullers earth to show rivers roads etc, write on detector paper then stick it down where needed. Improvise, do not buy pretend tanks etc, you will need millions of models to cover all scenarios and look like a C*nt anyway.

13. A piece of the old green poncho , and coloured chalks to draw on it with , low bulk and endlessly reusable.
    If you carry your model kit in an old baccy tin , use the lid and the base for North markers , as you will need two and its less to carry , lose , blow away etc...
    If you want detailed pieces , then raiding the family monopoly set for house and hotels works well.