Model Kit

Discussion in 'Officers' started by erik_the_viking, Mar 17, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I need to aquire a model kit. I have a very basic idea of what should be included so could anyone give me any advice or directions on where to find some infomation on what should be in a model kit and how much of each item i will need.
  2. 1 times swedish blonde, modelling for the use of.
    1 times skimpy dress, revealing for the use of.
    1 times camera, perving, standard issue.

One modelling session.

3. JB

JB Clanker

1.Cop-out answer would be "it comes down to personal choice and experience"... Anyway, as this is in Officer's forum I assume you're talking Pl Comd level
    2. There are certainly some obvious "don'ts", e.g.
    - don't buy one of those ready made-up poxy tobacco tin versions from Silvermans or similar - the labels will be tiny bits of card that are about as much use in the field as an ash-tray on a motorbike, also tend to be geared at JNCO level;
    - don't carry around so many bits of crap you have labels with things like "T-72" "Concentration Area" "England" "Berlin" on them etc
    - don't take coloured powder paints to mark tracks etc - yes, they do the job, however, what happens when it rains? Also, are you going to deploy to theatre with enough powder paints to cover more than a couple of O Gps - 6 month tour?
    - monopoly houses - the blokes will think you are a nutter and spend the O Gp looking around for two dice and the racing car and giant top hat
    - little kids' toy soldiers, ditto but moreso
    3. My preference is roughly this
    - Labels - sheets of different coloured (personally I go for luminous) heavy weight card, cut into bite size tags and laminated (properly, not fablon). Use them colour coded - e.g. red En; blue Friendly; green Route features, RVs etc. Marker pen a few with the names you will always need: North Pointer "1sect" "2 sect" "3 sect" "51mm" "FSpt" "En" etc, down to experience again (Obviously if you're at RMAS, you'll be wanting 3 x "En" posns and "BMP-1" which would actually have shredded you with the 12.7mm the minute you left the FUP). The rest leave plain and mark up relevant colour with Lumocolour when needed and wipe off afterwards.
    Don't bother making them fold in middle and you don't need to worry about them blowing away, just lay them down in the right place
    - Ribbons - 2m each of, say, 4 colours. Use to represent tracks, streams, fencelines and other linear features.
    - Coloured Chalks - an absolute must if you are going to operating in an urban environment and/or need to do a quick 'sketch model' rather than the old sandpit job.
    - Perhaps a few of those plant labels that you get in garden centres - the ice-lolly stick type and/or the miniature placard type - use in high winds or for additional features
    - Each colour label in own little plastic bag, chalks in one, ribbons in one; all put inside a little draw-cord DPM bag that you can screw-up, sling in the bottom of your daysack and forget about.
    4. This is generous and everything else should be drawn from the environment around you - leaves for forestry blokes, dig-in to ground when outside or pile up on/under a poncho if indoors to show relief etc.
    5. Unless you are on PRACTAC, don't make your own model - get PlSgt/Sct 2IC/Recce Ptl Commander who should be well experienced and genned-up to take charge of it. Make sure though that you come and check/tweak the model at least 10-15 mins before Orders so it is what you want.
    6. Hope this helps.
  4. Other temporary additions to your model kit:

Ammo boxes for buildings etc.
    Hexe blocks for same
    Stuff from compo eg boiled sweets, tin for obvious ground features
    Foot powder for tracks (just make sure you don't get caught short)
  5. Many thanks for the detailed and quick responses. Much appreciated.
  6. The Monopoly hotels and houses work well, always raises a smile.
  7. Make use of kit that you carry...
    Saw an excellent model done by one of those guys with black strips over their eyes...
    It was for a set of FIBUA/OBUA/FISH (whatever you want to call it) orders. He used mess tins to represent the houses... the model was about 12ft by 12ft, big enough for the Pl comd to stand in it and for the guys to get a clear picture of what was happening.
    Ok, maybe not that tactical, but got the point across which is important in that sort of environment.
  8. Its a model.

Use bits of what you have. Coloured chalk is very good with all you can pick up. i.e. mess tins? and ammo boxes? small tanks 1/55 scale? WTF

In reality how are you (or anyone else - unless they are doing it for one upmanship) going to prepare a decent model in the field?

One of the best I have ever seen was a photo taken in Angola mid 1980.
    Huge model, all features shown all made of sticks, brush, mud and stone. What was lying around at the time.

If nothing else try coloured chalk and an old poncho. Colours give you detail and contrast and on a poncho it will even last a summer rain storm.
  9. Why does everyone roll their eyes and pick holes in the ideas of others when the subject of models comes up?

I have read a few of the entries here and they make excellent sense; ribbon, laminated card, chalk, Monopoly houses/hotels (made me chuckle too) and so on. I agree that it is best to utilise what is available, but the point is it is an individual thing. If someone can make a model, mostly using bottletops, good for them...

I would suggest that when it comes to modelling, learning to accurately interpret map details is more important than the colour of your napkin/standard of your die-cast T72...

Briefing someone who is making a model for you is pretty important too! If they make a bad model, consider the fact that your crap brief may not have helped.
  10. What is JNCO level by the way?

That sort of prejudice is excellent... I am sure you give a great brief on the type of model you want and tell them 10 minutes before it is needed too!

I think the crap Silvermans model kits serve a purpose. They at least form a starting point for someone inexperienced, a point from which they can build their own decent set.
  11. All good stuff here; ribbon, chalks and blank cards all get my vote. I always carry a thin-fabloned A3 white piece of paper too. It folds up small. If time is pressing I draw a sketch-map with lumicolours. A picture paints a thousand words and it prevents you having to brief off the map.
  12. I always use blank lumi card, laminated, so you can write on it with a permi pen this saves having to sort through bits of card to find things like 51mm mortar etc. Make sure it's not too small as well. bits of ribbon for tracks river, boundaries etc. and like some one has already said use hexi etc for buildings, natural foliage for woods. Don't forget to show relief on the ground.
  13. Haha... he had the whole platoons worth to play with :) It wasn't that small a village - Celieni on SENTA.
  14. CGS

CGS War Hero Moderator

This is a stock item in my office. Whenever anyone visits, I can sketch them a pic, rub off, change etc, then photocopy it and give it to them, fax it etc...

The laminated sheet works brilliantly in the field, as you can print the reverse in black and lightly scour it in order to take off teh shine. It slips down the inside of the back of the bercan so keeps flat too. Great for OCs O gp, messages to and from BG etc.
  15. Sanditz...mid-eighties...section desparately supporting unfortunate bloke who has had a succession of cave-ins for command tasks. Excellent general area model (containing most of the above) dug in to protect it from the wind...poncho with detailed area pinned between two tree trunks like blackboard. Nervous farting from man-on-the-spot as DS approaches.
    Cue God, heavens open.
    Once squall has passed and visibility regained, we find poncho has been wiped and, if the model pit is to be believed, we are going to attempt to sink the Bismarck.
    Matey puts away his notebook, looks at the assembled group and says, 'Fighting Patrol, follow me' turns on his heel and we follow...and he passed.