"MOD91" - Veterans version of MOD90

Maybe because the veteran has voluntarily given up many of his legal and civic rights for a period of time to help protect the state? And, before you say it yes, all of them. Regular, reserve, deployed and non deployed, all have at least given something of their innate freedoms for the state.
And been well recompensed for their time. It’s not voluntary work.

I can’t see any connection between a professional soldier and the requirement for society to honour them with free hot wings at KFC.

Even if I accept your argument that being paid to be a volunteer professional soldier means you deserve free stuff - do you think that providing ‘Veteran’s ID Cards’ to every one who put on a uniform for quarter of an hour will make it more or less likely that the sacrifice of soldiers will be acknowledged by the public? Or will soldiers join the long list of scroungers?

Judging some of the comments on this thread, I've come to the conclusion that self-loathing must be a military sport.
I don’t think there is self loathing - just an acceptance that goodwill is finite and too many people are desperate to profit from the actions of relatively few.

I can’t see any connection between a professional soldier and the requirement for society to honour them with free hot wings at KFC.

Even if I accept your argument that being paid to be a volunteer professional soldier means you deserve free stuff - do you think that providing ‘Veteran’s ID Cards’ to every one who put on a uniform for quarter of an hour will make it more or less likely that the sacrifice of soldiers will be acknowledged by the public? Or will soldiers join the long list of scroungers?
OK so whats the point in giving them medals

OK so whats the point in giving them medals
Again. You get medals for deploying on an Operational tour - there is criteria about risk and rigour. Alternatively you get them as an award for length of service - often linked to good conduct during that service. You may get one for being extremely brave, or for service above and beyond the call of duty.

You do occasionally get one because a Royal has a birthday - but they can do what they want I suppose. I’m not sure there is justification for spending taxpayers money in this way but then the tears and blubber over the criteria for the QDJM were very amusing.

We haven’t yet got to the stage of some other militaries where you get a medal for passing basic training, or doing well on a March and shoot.

Most people in the military are glad about that.

It is not a requirement, it is a voluntary gesture of thanks, much like putting money into a RBL collection. With apologies to a well worn phrase, “If you can order a Colonel’s meal, thank a teacher. If you can order it in English, thank a soldier.”

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I kept my MOD90 as I was never asked for it back. I'm trying to figure out how I can get Glasgow to send me a new one with the right ******* rank on it six years after I've left!

It is not a requirement, it is a voluntary gesture of thanks, much like putting money into a RBL collection. With apologies to a well worn phrase, “If you can order a Colonel’s meal, thank a teacher. If you can order it in English, thank a soldier.”
But that’s increasingly not how it is perceived - businesses are under pressure to ‘Respect our Troops’ or face being ‘outed’ as not supporting the brave ‘eroes.

All of which adds up to a general dilution of the concept and soldiers just become viewed as entitled grasping spongers - desperate for free stuff on top of their salaries and subsidized housing.

Do you think a card for everyone who has spent an hour in uniform will add or detract from that?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
But that’s increasingly not how it is perceived - businesses are under pressure to ‘Respect our Troops’ or face being ‘outed’ as not supporting the brave ‘eroes.

All of which adds up to a general dilution of the concept and soldiers just become viewed as entitled grasping spongers - desperate for free stuff on top of their salaries and subsidized housing.

Do you think a card for everyone who has spent an hour in uniform will add or detract from that?
I think in general, the outrage bus has passed by this particular argument and the public are back in the apathy stage. Timing is about right if you look at the drawdown, lack of media coverage (apart from the usual 'peacetime' negative stuff a out drunk squaddie battering people) and various related factors.

Stuff like this only has momentum during times of conflict. Personally, a Veteran ID card means nothing to me - it's in my medals, my memories and my steely gaze as I sit in the pub corner with a pint of ale and Shark watch for the entire bar.

Plus, you get far better discounts with Police ID anyway!

Actually, I think it will add to public admiration and be an incentive to serve and hence be a KAPE and FIRM BASE win if businesses were to publicly display the benefits. If they can find the space to publicly and proudly display student and OAP preferential rates, they can also do so for HM Forces and Veterans.

just lose the ID before retirement ... the usual way to keep it
Way back when my TA unit had a big admin shake down and all MOD90s were collected in.
Some time later I'm invited to have a formal chat with the BC about where my MOD90 was hiding. As luck would have it in the nick of time the PSI phones to tell me not to worry about it.
I turn up the next weekday evening to bravely defend our nation until 2130hrs and he takes me to his office, he's my best pal as he relates the humorous tale of him finding it in his briefcase. All hearty slaps on the back "mate" etc.
This guy was the Tazmanian devil in DPM normally.

The salaries in HM Forces are amazing aren't they, why would anyone on a Rifleman/Gunners/Privates salary want for anything or want to save money?

Actually, I think it will add to public admiration and be an incentive to serve and hence be a KAPE and FIRM BASE win if businesses were to publicly display the benefits. If they can find the space to publicly and proudly display student and OAP preferential rates, they can also do so for HM Forces and Veterans.
I was being dragged around Bath today and noticed a shop had a sign up offering 10% discount to Students, OAP, Blue light services, Nurses and Armed Forces.
I don't recall ever seeing that in an arty farty dress shop.

Not that I spend lots of time in them anyway. . . . Ahem! :oops:

I couldn’t disagree more. But we will have to agree to disagree on that one.

The salaries in HM Forces are amazing aren't they, why would anyone on a Rifleman/Gunners/Privates salary want for anything or want to save money?
Compared to what? You can join the military with virtually no qualifications and get paid a pretty reasonable rate from the get go. A recruit is paid about £15,000 a Pte or equivalent about £18,500 and a LCpl £25,000. Not a huge amount of money - but not terrible when you consider the average UK wage is about £27,000.

So in other words a junior soldier at the beginning of their career - will shortly earn the average UK wage.

I don’t disagree that they might want to save money. I’m not convinced that offering veterans a card will provide the most junior soldiers that much benefit.

Well, I for one wouldn't say no to a free slice of cake compared to the perks other Armed Forces current and serving get in the world especially the US

https://www.military.com/discounts

Some "recognition" would certainly raise the morale bar of current veterans, if its a sh*t free card why not?
Who gives a fcuk about the morale of veterans?

No other career demands an endless stream of recognition for doing the job they were paid to do.

No such thing as a free lunch.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well I quite support the idea of a free cheeseburger with my MOD90, students get them
F'kin Christ almighty, you are dense. Students are led by freebies because, apparently, they have a reputation of being penniless fuckwits, squaddies, OTOH, are renowned for spending like kings because they have cash, even more so in the case of Stabs, as the vast majority have 2 f'kin jobs!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I kept my MOD90 as I was never asked for it back. I'm trying to figure out how I can get Glasgow to send me a new one with the right ******* rank on it six years after I've left!
You got promoted after leaving? You must have been good!