MOD90 and Rail Cards

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by The_Green_Manalishi, Feb 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes TA soldiers to get issued a MOD90 when all paperwork has been submitted? I have my army number (and have done so for the last three or four weeks). I have loads of travelling to do for work in the next few months (not all of which I'll be reimbursed for), and I'll save loads of money if I can get HM forces rail cards.
  2. msr

msr LE

I don't believe the TA are entitled to Forces Railcards.

3. Oh, well that ruins that bright idea by TGM. There goes my savings!
  4. I didn't think that TA were allowed to keep their MOD 90's with them - unless thing's have now changed since Iraq, Afghan etc...
  5. I'm very new to the system so if I say anything that doesn't make sense it will be me that's wrong about it! OK, I suppose this is my question pretty much answered.
  6. msr

msr LE

7. Most T.A units will only issue a Chit in lieu as opposed to the Mod90 which for some reason they like to keep in filing cabinets!
  8. I don't know how long it takes a TA soldier to be issued an MOD 90, it usually takes about 48hrs before they lose it though, hence the reluctance of some units to issue them.
  9. My mob keep theirs. Other than losing them, are they easy to replace once they've been battered a bit/snapped by the troop commander fiddling with it? Railcards can't be done until mobilised I don't think, check out the link though. Can be handy for places like Millets/blacks/airlines.
  10. what is a chit in liue card then?
  11. Everyone in TA gets to keep them now!

It used it be a chargeable offence to loose it, but not anymore....
  12. TA personnel are only meant to be given their MOD 90 in special circumstances (AGAIs Vol 2, Chap 61, Para 61.017 refers). I'm aware of some variation between units, but the usual procedure is for the card to be retained in an individual's p-file unless they are called-up, attending a training camp/course or 'when necessary for the performance of duty'.

As msr has correctly said, TA bods aren't eligible for the forces railcard unless they're FTRS or called-up. However, you can hit the forces discount brochure which has some very good deals in it.

From what I've read TGM, it seems you'd like to swan around using a forces railcard for discounted jollies in your civilian life - I'm not entirely sure that's what it's intended for!!
  13. That's my mistake, I was under the impression that the rail card was a 'bonus' discount like the 10% you get in some retailers, I wasn't aware that it was for military use only. This is probably because I was made aware of it by a civilian, with no connection to the military, when I was moaning about how much money I have to spend on travel between now and July. As I said earlier, I am very new, and I'm not up on all the rules and regulations (yet) so it's good to get your input here!
  14. msr

msr LE

What is it for then? I only ask, because wives and dependent children are entitled to one...

15. T-G-M wrote:

The Forces Railcard is for swanning around in your free time - if you're on a work-related job you'll get a rail warrant. Unfortunately only reservists on FTRS or mobilised service can have one though.

As the cards are given as a concession by the train operating companies and the only cost to the MoD is the cost of administration (which we pay for anyway, and will be paying more for - up from £2 to £10 shortly) it is beyond me why the reserves can't have them - wouldn't it be a nice benefit!