MoD works on evacuation plan for 22,000 Britons in Zimbabwe

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Aug 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Cow

Cow LE

83 years old.... Hopefully he'll die soon.

Do we have much spare deployable lift capacity?
  3. Owww fecking great!!!! and these troops and Tpt will come from where???

Great an NEO involving resources needed else where
  4. Of couse we do, don't you read MoD press releases?
  5. I don't know how reliable the article is, but rescuing 22,000 Britons would seem very much a priority to me, surpassing, say, the Balkans, Basra or Afghanistan.

And, if HM Armed Forces cannot cope with that or (worse) consider such mission a nuisance, then you should start pondering why you are spending more than 30 billion pounds a year on them.

6. Cow

Cow LE

You'd be surprised. Road evac to a friendly nation? Easier than flying them all out, but suppose could use Civ Air?
  7. Did anyone else see how Mugabe tottered off the steps of his plane? seemed to be either, three sheets to the wind, or on the verge of a terminal stroke. As to deploying troops, which ones, from where and why?
  8. That country has been in shit state for years , i know lots of Brits have already left but those still there have made their choice . Can some one tell us just how much tax they are paying to the UK towards the cost of any evacuation ?
  9. A shed load of civ air would be in order. Even if we threw everything we have at it, it would take well over 100 Tristar sorties to evacuate everyone.

Road moves would play their part and we could probably lean on the Yanks (who'll be evacuating some of their own as well) to help out. We'd probaly be wary of using some african nations' airlift because of their poor safety records. South Africa would probably be the best bet for help from wothin the continent, unfortunately they too would have their hands full.
  10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Why not get 'some' forces in place to secure evac-to-civair landing points, and while they are at it, see if they can't have a little scrap with some of 'despots' forces after being aherm, attacked from El Presidente's compound . . .
  11. And that matters how precisely?

They are Brits, end of.
  12. Blimey your showing your age - who still flys those things?

13. Where would 22,000 Zimbabweans go?
  14. Only just saw the wink before I replied!!

Get your point though - not sure who else does operate them still!!