MoD vs Journos: Squaddies 0 Whitehall 1

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Rumpelstiltskin, Jun 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Odd title, I know, but the attempted point is that MoD- and thus largely civvy- PR bods may be more culpable for the lack of empathetic, close-up reporting from Helmand than our celeb-obsessed journos:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jun/15/afghanistan-embedded-journalists-mod

And in a shock development, Tom Newton-Dunn comes across quite well...

2. Double-edged sword.

I'm not at all in favour of censorship, however, if you enjoy the protection, logistics and hospitality of a host, you play by his rules.

If you don't like the rules, find another way to report from the frontline and earn your danger pay.

3. Mmm, generally yes, but things like:

...don't seem quite right.

4. Careful. That's the second plaudit that Tom Newton-Dunn has received recently. From the RN website (link):

5. Of course it's not 'right'. But those are the rules that the media has decided to play with.

Maybe the 'hero of Grozny' needs to get out a bit more. Or is Helmand even more dangerous than Chechnya for a Times reporter - thus dictating that one 'has' to play by MoD/FCO rules?

6. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Like it or not, without reporters, no story gets out. The FCO/MOD view is not always helpful to the boys and girls on the ground and we should be careful of biting... etc. I'm no fan of the Press but I can quote chapter and verse when we've been shagged by the other side.

7. The MoD PR peeps need to just go back a bit to '03: fact is, Journos embedded with military units tend to become 'one of us' - the very fact that they depend on the soldier for protection pretty much dictates that reaction.

My suspicion would be that the reason MoD disnae want journos among our troops is not because the journos are likely to be anti-Tommy Atkins, but because they will be exposed close-up-and-personal to the copnsequences of niggardly resourcing policies and strategic ineptitude for which politicos and Sybil Serprnts are culpable.

8. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Agree 100%.