MoD tries to block Top Trump Cards

I'm sure someone'll soon fill me in if this has already been doen elsewhere, but when I read about this on Sunday I thought it was such a good idea - and the MoD were just so typically small-minded about it, it deserved an ARRSE airing - but I've been busy till just now.

From the Sunday Times
October 14, 2007
Army finds winning hearts is child's playChristina Lamb

It might be a children’s card game but it has exercised some of the top minds of the British Army for months and had commanding officers of prestigious regiments bickering over which “out-trumps” the other.

The first British Army version of Top Trumps, one of Britain’s most popular card games, is the brainchild of an army doctor working with the wives of soldiers serving in Afghanistan. The packs go on sale this week with the royalties from each one sold going to help to build schools in Afghanistan.

“We were all hearing in letters and e-mails from our husbands about these children with no classrooms, just sitting on the dirt, and living with no water, electricity or toys,” said Caroline Richards, whose husband General David Richards was commander of the Nato forces in Afghanistan until February. “We wanted to do something too.”

To start with the women’s contributions to the hearts and minds campaign was small scale, including a sponsored run, cake sale and plant sales. But with Afghanistan defined as one of the world’s poorest countries, the women wanted to do more.

It was then that Dr John Ross, GP on the Rheindalen base in Germany and father of a seven-year-old boy, came up with the idea of trumps, a game which is experiencing a renaissance in school playgrounds. “I was looking round my son’s room and noticed the trumps cards,” said Ross. “I thought: every small boy goes through an army phase - what about an army set?”

Trumps cards sets are based on a theme such as dinosaurs or European footballers and each card has a list of six statistics with which players try to trump each other. Although there have been sets on warships and military jets, there has not been one on Britain’s armed forces.

“I thought it was a great idea,” said Caroline Richards. But she had reckoned without the bureaucrats at the Ministry of Defence (MoD) who muttered darkly about intellectual property. She decided that the only answer was to deploy her own lethal weapon - her husband.

“I pointed out that it’s a great opportunity to enthuse boys about the army,” said David Richards. “The MoD wanted to put in all sorts of caveats, but I said: don’t be childish, it’s a game.”

Even so it has taken almost a year to get the MoD licence to use regiments’ names, badges, mottos and photographs. The biggest hurdles were choosing which regiments to include and which criteria to judge them on.

MORE: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2652909.ece

How ****. We all know that if you have the 33 SAS card you'll win hands down!

Cool, where can I buy a set? Then I'll be able to see how far down the ladder the tubes I work with are.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Cable_Ties said:
Cool, where can I buy a set? Then I'll be able to see how far down the ladder the tubes I work with are.
There is a thread discussing it on the RAC forum, including the man behind it UIAVMM.

AlienFTM said:
Cable_Ties said:
There is a thread discussing it on the RAC forum, including the man behind it UIAVMM.
. . . ahh yes - the obvious place for a subject of Army wide interest . . . :roll:

smudge67 said:
Beaulocks! (Slaps down the 49 Para card with a victorious flourish) :wink:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Stonker said:
AlienFTM said:
Cable_Ties said:
. . . ahh yes - the obvious place for a subject of Army wide interest . . . :roll:
... because the man himself came to us for some advice about RAC regiments. Very much the obvious place to look for advice about the RAC.

AlienFTM said:
Stonker said:
AlienFTM said:
Cable_Ties said:
... because the man himself came to us for some advice about RAC regiments. Very much the obvious place to look for advice about the RAC.
That's obviously 100% OK then.

So - obviously absolutely no need to post a link to said thread.

Even in the face of a really broad hint.

I s'pose. 8)

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Stonker said:
AlienFTM said:
Stonker said:
AlienFTM said:
Cable_Ties said:
That's obviously 100% OK then.

So - obviously absolutely no need to post a link to said thread.

Even in the face of a really broad hint.

I s'pose. 8)
Naturally I assumed that you are an intellingent bloke and would see my provision of something as trivial as a link to another forum on this website at patronising.

However, when I assume, I make an ass of u and me.

Is there a category on the card that says amount of kills? If there is then surely the Army Catering Corps of old will win hands down!

Sorry all you old sloppies!!

BuckFelize said:
smudge67 said:
Beaulocks! (Slaps down the 49 Para card with a victorious flourish) :wink:
Not if you pick "amount of Walts pretending to be affiliated with said regt"

. . from the thread on the RAC page, some info from one of the brains behind the cards:
Tenere said:
The full list of Units featured is:
1 Gren Gds
1 IG
1 Lancs
1 MERCIAN
1 PWRR
1 R IRISH
1 REGT AAC
1 RIFLES
1 RRF
1 SCOTS
1 SG
16 REGT RA
2 R ANGLIAN
2 R WELSH
2 RGR
22 SAS
29 CDO REGT RA
3 PARA
3 REGT AAC
3 RHA
4 RIFLES
47 REGT RA
5 SCOTS
7 PARA RHA
3 YORKS
LD
QRH
RDG
RHG/D
SCOTS DG
. .and . .
Tenere said:
The full pack name is "Fighting Units of the British Army" - hence infantry and cav. At the risk of causing upset, for the largely pre-teen market of Top Trumps, "Teeth Arm" has been extended to include the Gunners (I know, I know).

The teeth arm units do lend themselves more easily to the Top Trumps format and the categories used - especially when trying to compare like sized unit to like sized unit.

Hopefully, depending on sales, other packs and units can appear.

TTFN

Hi,

I've been away from the forum for a wee bit and only just found this Top Trumps thread.

I've been involved with the Army Top Trumps game from the start and, just for the record and all that, have to say that the Army and MOD have been v helpful. 8O

Right, put your teeth back in and clamber back onto your chairs :) but the only thing they were worried about was that the the Units' histories and "image" shouldn't be tarnished or abused and that Intellectual Property rights shouldn't be infringed.

It's a bit of a new kind of step for them but as the red, white and blue roundels you see on RAF planes are actually the registered Intellectual Property of Ben Sherman, they didn't want the crossed swords etc going the same way!

So i'm more than happy with the help we received from MOD folk whether they were wearing suits or green.

Cheers

Tenere

Latest Threads