MoD to scrap barracks upgrade.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by vvaannmmaann, Sep 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. They wouldn't house asylum seekers in most of the conditions soldiers live in.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Thats because of standards for human habitation. Sums up what the govt think of the lads really
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Probably means that, following Herrick endex, the Army will be slashed in size - thus fitting into the real estate refurbished to date.
  4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

cut and paste from the article.

"Christina Schmid, whose husband Staff Sergeant Olaf Schmid, a bomb disposal expert, was killed on his final day at the front in Afghanistan, told the Sunday Times: “Army accommodation is such a lottery. I have had some dire quarters and some that are half-decent. They shouldn’t be furnished out in bling but they should have a good standard of accommodation which is uniform across the board.”
    She added: “I feel strongly that if we can’t afford our army and we can’t look after them, then we need to stop being in conflict.”

About sums it up really. I remember my first pad when I got married had the same shitty metal framed windows in as the one i grew up in in the 70's. pile of shite, stayed in it under a year and went out and bought a house (that ****ing upset some people)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Sunday Times running the same story, with the same quote.
  6. The article claims that 'Ministers will face charges of hypocrisy over the about-turn in improving the soldiers’ homes.' Surely that could never happen?
  7. Can't imagine why - it's not as if we are in the depths of a global recession and the Defence Budget is still massively over-spent ...................... errrrr hang on.
  8. Last two SFA we've had have been brand new bulk hirings. Look very shiny and new but typical new builds, very flimsy and not fit for purpose at all.

No storage, no garden but bedrooms are ensuite!
  9. Seriously though. Who was stupid enough to expect any different?
    • Like Like x 6
  10. The Gov't would love to oblige, especially HM Treasury. All the Armed Forces bring is PR grief, awkward questions and bad news stories.
  11. Only the next occupant I suspect.
  12. Au contraire, let's not forget how good they look when all dressed up and marching around to impress Johnny Foreigner during state visits!
  13. Nah, that can be outsourced.....
  14. Seriously, the only "good news" stories I can think of involving the Armed Forces are the MACP types; everything else is unremittingly negative.

Am I being too cynical?