• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

MoD to scrap barracks upgrade.

Probably means that, following Herrick endex, the Army will be slashed in size - thus fitting into the real estate refurbished to date.

cut and paste from the article.

"Christina Schmid, whose husband Staff Sergeant Olaf Schmid, a bomb disposal expert, was killed on his final day at the front in Afghanistan, told the Sunday Times: “Army accommodation is such a lottery. I have had some dire quarters and some that are half-decent. They shouldn’t be furnished out in bling but they should have a good standard of accommodation which is uniform across the board.”
She added: “I feel strongly that if we can’t afford our army and we can’t look after them, then we need to stop being in conflict.”

About sums it up really. I remember my first pad when I got married had the same shitty metal framed windows in as the one i grew up in in the 70's. pile of shite, stayed in it under a year and went out and bought a house (that ****ing upset some people)

Last two SFA we've had have been brand new bulk hirings. Look very shiny and new but typical new builds, very flimsy and not fit for purpose at all.

No storage, no garden but bedrooms are ensuite!

OK I expect a bit of flak for this but here goes. As an aside, I've never had a pad but own my own place and have done for about 12 years.

Pads pay peanuts for their quarters. As a whole the standard seems to have gone up exponentially in my time in the Army. Obviously there are some bad ones and I dont believe that anyone should have to settle for that but if across the board people paid more rent then there would be more in the coffers for refurbing those that need it.

From my perspective, its a shame, but as the saying goes ' show me the money'. There is no money in the system, defence is flat broke and its a case of either cut this, or cut some weapon systems. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Of course, the pads/singlies could always do what most other people do and rent/buy a house at market rates which meets their requirements (except for dodgy landlords charging through the nose, not doing any repairs and generally giving the same experience as DHE but for twice the price?).

Pads pay peanuts for their quarters. As a whole the standard seems to have gone up exponentially in my time in the Army. Obviously there are some bad ones and I dont believe that anyone should have to settle for that but if across the board people paid more rent then there would be more in the coffers for refurbing those that need it.
SFA is cheaper because pads aren't paying to line someone's pockets or to pay of their mortgage. The rent for an army quarter is more than sufficient to pay for the upkeep of the quarter.

Bit of luck the SLAM blocks are nearly ready here in Fally; Should get a couple of years use out of them before we all bug out of BFG :)

Latest Threads