MoD to be sued by Parents of Soldiers killed in Snatch

Its a pity they can't sue Gordon Brown directly for being responsible for the budgetary conditions within the Armed forces.

I agree with stickybomb,

However the MOD will probably have known long & hard about the later outcomes of the deployment of snatches being deployed with our troops within that Theatre, as like many other issues that have often been raised about equipment

Too little too late

Horridlittleman said:
Why sue the MoD?

Why not sue the insurgent who planted the bomb in the first place?
Yes, lets find out exactly who he is, then lets send some bailiffs straight to the barstards house, wherever in insurgent-land it is, and bring him to the High Court in London so we can take him for every last one of his goats. The wretch won't have a chai-pot to piss in when we're finished. That'll teach him to blow up our soldiers who were minding their own business riding around in woefully inadequate deathtraps :roll:

Horridlittleman said:
Why sue the MoD?

exactly!!! whilst its terrible that these peoples children died, they knew the risks of joining the army when they signed on the dotted line.

soprano54 said:
louis said:
Horridlittleman said:
Why sue the MoD?

exactly!!! whilst its terrible that these peoples children died, they knew the risks of joining the army when they signed on the dotted line.
That's a tad harsh............................CNUT! :x
it maybe harsh, but its also a fact.

Im sure they was not informed when they signed on the dotted line that they would deploy with kit that doesnt suit the operational requirement. and you are a cnut.

Horridlittleman said:
Why sue the MoD?

If anyone should be sued, it should be that cnut Bliar. I have still not seen or heard any real justification for what 'we' are doing in Afghanistan in the first place, as for Iraq 2, this was a blatantly illegal act as no doubt will not be bourne out by Brown's secret inquiry.

ximmeh1987 said:
Im sure they was not informed when they signed on the dotted line that they would deploy with kit that doesnt suit the operational requirement. and you are a cnut.

blow me .

so i gather your from the school of when things go wrong, lets sue, sue, sue!!! how very American.

louis said:
ximmeh1987 said:

blow me .

so i gather your from the school of when things go wrong, lets sue, sue, sue!!! how very American.
No, im just pointing out that im sure that is not what they signed up for, sueing the Army will not bring their children back and wont benefit anyone but themselves, but unfortunately the only way you can get people to listen is by hitting them in the pocket.

louis said:
Horridlittleman said:
Why sue the MoD?

Thats beside the point you tool.

The parents aren't suing simply because the soldiers died. They're suing because they died (in theirs and many other people's eyes) needlessly because the MOD was too tight to provide them with beefier vehicles knowing full well for quite some time that the situation in theatre warrants beefier vehicles.

Or are you saying that serviceman/woman who dies or is injured due to not having the right kit can go and **** themselves because they should expect and accept that they won't get the right kit?

Granted, payouts will lighten the pot for everything else that's funded by the MOD, and you can be sure they're going to bleat, whine, and guilt trip everyone about this fact as much as they can crank it, but they must to be taken to task somehow, and so far these parents and their lawsuit seem to be the only people doing it. Whether you agree with the way they're going about it or not at least they're not letting the MOD just get away with it.

Edit: we can only hope that suing the MOD will result (aside from a simple payout to the families) in the MOD being forced to admit mistakes and actually get its act together regarding the supply of the right kit. But I'm not even going to bait my breath yet let alone hold it...

cupoftea said:
louis said:
Horridlittleman said:
Why sue the MoD?

Thats beside the point you tool.

The parents aren't suing simply because the soldiers died. They're suing because they died (in theirs and many other people's eyes) needlessly because the MOD was too tight to provide them with beefier vehicles knowing full well for quite some time that the situation in theatre warrants beefier vehicles.

Or are you saying that serviceman/woman who dies or is injured due to not having the right kit can go and **** themselves because they should expect and accept that they won't get the right kit?

Granted, payouts will lighten the pot for everything else that's funded by the MOD, and you can be sure they're going to bleat, whine, and guilt trip everyone about this fact as much as they can crank it, but they must to be taken to task somehow, and so far these parents and their lawsuit seem to be the only people doing it. Whether you agree with the way they're going about it or not at least they're not letting the MOD just get away with it.

Edit: we can only hope that suing the MOD will result (aside from a simple payout to the families) in the MOD being forced to admit mistakes and actually get its act together regarding the supply of the right kit. But I'm not even going to bait my breath yet let alone hold it...
In many ways too true. MoD has never changed it's mind about anything until well and truly butt f**ked in the Courts....normally after spending a year supply of spare cash on defending and appealing a position that a retard would have legged it from!

Lets stop taking money out of the pot with these civil disputes and settlements for families. Lets start putting some of the powers that be in prison for an absolutely criminal amount of under funding and under resourcing for men and women whom they sent to war.

They found the money to bail out the banks. That means they had the money to sort out the equipment issue. They chose not to. They chose to keep the public quiet by not effecting the lives of the Big Brother watching generation. People should have been issued ration cards before a single soldier was sent to war without body armour. Peoples dole cheques should have been half the norm before a service person was put on NBC stag without an NBC suit. Politicians should have been getting the bus to work before Infanteers were expected to clear a route of IED's driving a soft skin landrover.

One thing I will say though and we all know this. Soldiers have always been deemed expendable. This will not change.

Closet_Jibber said:
Lets stop taking money out of the pot with these civil disputes and settlements for families. Lets start putting some of the powers that be in prison for an absolutely criminal amount of under funding and under resourcing for men and women whom they sent to war.

They found the money to bail out the banks. That means they had the money to sort out the equipment issue. They chose not to. They chose to keep the public quiet by not effecting the lives of the Big Brother watching generation. People should have been issued ration cards before a single soldier was sent to war without body armour. Peoples dole cheques should have been half the norm before a service person was put on NBC stag without an NBC suit. Politicians should have been getting the bus to work before Infanteers were expected to clear a route of IED's driving a soft skin landrover.

One thing I will say though and we all know this. Soldiers have always been deemed expendable. This will not change.
Yeah I'll just look up what time the outrage bus comes to my stop. I'll remember to take a brolly for the pigshit falling from the sky this time :p

While I have the greatest sympathy for the family of those killed whilst in snatch’s the fact is that no veh is completely IED proof. The MOD has purchased a large number of off the shelf up armed veh Mastiff etc all of which are far more reassuring to ride about in than snatch but all of which have been taken out by IED with often fatal results for the troops inside I mean they took out a challenger in Iraq and they don’t come much more armoured than that. It ironic that the most popular veh to ride in on my last tour of Herrick (9) was the jackal which has no side armour to speak of at all. We could have had the most Gucci truck in NATO from the word go they would have just laid bigger road side bombs. The best out come from all this surly is for the MOD to acknowledge that mistakes were made and to apologise to all members of the military and there families and then spend the money they would have had to spend as compo on more better off the shelf kit.

SP54, it is a bit harsh, no doubt about it....but, you see most of us old and bold lost mates from bombings, shooting, etc when we did our tours of Ulster or other wars, trouble spots, etc.

We too faced massive IED's and snipers, never knew when the next attack was coming from, etc ..they even attacked us and our families when we were on leave or based in places nowhere near Ulster.

I think that the sentiment expressed by some of the posters is mainly to do with what good is an autospy or sueing the MoD going to do?...it just won't bring those who have been lost, back to us - RIP.

I'm not too sure if even the right kit would have prevented some of these deaths....AQ and other insurgents just 'upgrade' their kit to counter what we do. I do think that the loss of the Herc due to not having fire suppression kit was 100% crimminal, and the same for those poor redcaps without comms or the 7 PARA toms without NVG's, however, using the wrong type of vehicle, not having the right kit is what soldiers have always had to contend with throughout most of the wars and campaigns where Britain has ever done battle.

I, and probabaly most of us on this site, do not know a time when the British Army has ever had the right kit and weapons...e.g Redcoats on a green battlfield, bad tactics from the Boer war to present , Sherman V Panther/Tiger/88mm, the deaths in Bomber Command or the Merchant Navy, trench foot in the Falklands, the list goes on.

To lose your children is beyond tragic, to lose any service person through mismanagement, bad orders, bad kit is wrong and sometimes avoidable...but it's a soldiers/sailors/airmans lot.

When we voluntary walk through the door of Recruiting office, we enter a world of unknown quantities, for sure, we expect a certain duty and level of care to be shown towards us, and rightly bloody so!...but all that's left to do, is what thousands of other parents, wifes, families have done throughout the ages ...and that's to rememeber those who we have lost with respect, honour and gratitude for the memories they left us with.

To attempt to sue the MoD for deaths caused by the actions of the Enemy, seems a bit like a slap in the face for those who have lost loved ones in earlier conflicts. We just had to come to terms with it (however long it takes)

Grief does strange things to people, it unbalances your whole concept of life and your reasoning within it. If sueing the MoD due to the wrong kit, saves one life (which i doubt it will, unfortunately) then we could claim a victory of sorts.....

Maybe it's beter to let those poor souls rest in peace?...and maybe then the families involved may find some comfort within themselves.