MOD to axe 1000 jobs from HQ..........

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Top Heavy? As we are to become Lithe, Flexible, and adopt LEAN working - then yes, Main Building personnel must be very top-heavy indeed.

Expecting pies to be removed from the canteen very soon.

I will be happy to go on gardening leave until my tour is over. Then I will be one of the 800 to transfer out.

Happy Days.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The PCS warned further cuts to civilian support staff, as well as the disruption of relocating staff, would undermine the MoD's ability to support the armed forces.
Ho!

Support the armed forces? Is this some new-fangled idea they are planning to institute? I suspect the civil service traditionalists will be most displeased!

"
Support the armed forces? Is this some new-fangled idea they are planning to institute? I suspect the civil service traditionalists will be most displeased! "

Cheap shot, and not remotely true. Can't let the truth get in the way of a good rant now though can we?

Not major news really, and its been expected for some time. Still I'm dreading a long thread full of ill informed piffle about the MOD which will be untrue and innacurate.

1000 posts to go?I don't think so. The majority will find themselves TUPE'd over to 'Industry Partners' doing the same job as the are now, except the Taxpayer will be paying BAe, Logica, ATLAS etc a lot more money for the same output. Mean while the Government will be crowing about the 'saving's' they've made! More Spin with a capital S!

"Mr Brown said reducing head office staff by 25% would allow more resources to be released to the front line so the ministry could focus on strategic tasks.............These are staff who are vital to providing the back-up needed for service personnel in the frontline,"

BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, stop it......please! *snigger* My sides are aching.....oh sweet jeesus.......

That is the funniest, most docile b0ll0x I've read for eons. If it's not robbing Peter to pay Paul then it certainly highlights the ridiculous wave of civil servants that got brought in by Neu Arbeit.

Baldrick66 said:
1000 posts to go?I don't think so. The majority will find themselves TUPE'd over to 'Industry Partners' doing the same job as the are now, except the Taxpayer will be paying BAe, Logica, ATLAS etc a lot more money for the same output. Mean while the Government will be crowing about the 'saving's' they've made! More Spin with a capital S!
If I remember my rarden gunnery that deserves a cry of "Target. Same Target, co-ax go on..." Not only will they play the TUPE game, we will also have to have almost as many civil serpents auditing the lot who swapped jobs.

It would be an interesting figure to add back to the civil service numbers all the posts now filled by employees of the companies named above, plus others like Landmarc, ESS and VT Defence. Doubtless the bean-counters will say that it reduces the pension liability.

Aaah yes - the "head office" line creeps in again. When does CDS become chairman of the board of directors? Will CGS become the manging director?

Drip by drip by drip, they erode everything the Services hold dear.

On specific issue of job-losses -more strikes are to follow, will anyone notice this time? Military staff- stag on and cover essential duties. The unions also object to their staff being moved - despite many being officially classed and paid as mobile grades.

Please remind me again - what is the MoD for?

relocate another 800 posts from London
And of course these will all be in a Tory held seat right?

How many will be the result of the "success" of JPA ?

This is hitting where it hurts - Treasury strikeback for MOD's earlier cheek no doubt.

Yet another nail in the coffin - I'll bet the Sir Humphries of this world are scheming a strike back on Swiss Des - watch for another ministerial gaffe soon. :twisted:

Actually the deal for the increased budget was 25% cut in HO levels and efficiency savings. As for the CS - most will leave, the posts going aren't the sort that can be TUPED easily. I think the jobs leaving London will be from the OWOB as part of its shut down plans - they are the most easy to move.

Baldrick66 said:
That will be Project Screw'emall the future PFI for Procurement. It has clearly worked for Fixed IT, Deployable IT, Telephony and SATCOM services amongst others it will work for all DE&S business cases!!!

Jimima

Wasanig said:
MOD to axe 1000 jobs from thier HQ.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/news/newswire.php/news/pa/uknews/st

Bit top heavy are we?

Discuss
Quote from the Press Release: "Recognising that people at working level know best which processes are broken, which blocks frustrate them, and which work doesn’t add value, workshops will be held in every area to identify these and look to sweep them away."

Sounds good but human nature being what it is are they really expecting the turkeys to vote for Christmas ? People will try to justify every last nugatory process and over-complicated structure. Start with a definition of what outputs are expected then draw up the leanest possible structure to achieve it.

I can just see it now...

All Head Office teams will have to cut their staffing levels by 25%, regardless of function, leading to recruiting freezes, gapped posts being eliminated, jobs that used to take a day to do taking 5 days to do because Head Office is "Leaner"...

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
jim30 said:
"
Support the armed forces? Is this some new-fangled idea they are planning to institute? I suspect the civil service traditionalists will be most displeased! "

Cheap shot, and not remotely true. Can't let the truth get in the way of a good rant now though can we?

Not major news really, and its been expected for some time. Still I'm dreading a long thread full of ill informed piffle about the MOD which will be untrue and innacurate.
Fair enough, I retract the slur on their character and am quite willing to admit that MoD staff are also hobbled by tragically bad decision making from their political masters.

However, I also know several ex-service who worked at the MoD in the past 10 years, a relative who used to work with them, and quite a few friends around London who have worked with them on various jobs re: contracts and various other areas. All of these people are of the opinion that the level of competence within the ministry is about that of a suicide bomber who fails to even blow himself up. I'm sure you understand why I might take their word over yours.

Incompetence or negligence - the end result for the forces is roughly the same.