MOD to allow people with HIV to enlist

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Under fire with all the commotion going on is going to be traumatic, add in the thought that if a HIV rating is wounded, the first aid medic now has to determine if the casualty is going to infect him, or any other victim in the sick bay, with blood soaked bandages, the risks are not worth the considerations of allowing a HIV rating, NCO or officer on board.

Can you please check a calendar, it's not the 1980s any more.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I suspect the argument would be that medics don't know the HIV status of the enemy, civilians etc, when they treat them?

They don't know the BBV status of any of the crew, so take universal precautions

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
STUPID argument.
Because it doesn't just affect the medics, it is the bloke next to him who also gets caught with the shrapnel, and splatters with his blood.

You are aware of the fact that you can not catch HIV from blood on your skin?

That's why blood transfusion service don't wear gloves.

And They work with a lot of blood

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I suspect like many of us on this thread, I have no idea about HIV, but suspect the decision makers be able to justify why it’s a non-consideration.

Because medically it's a non risk.

We gave up wearing gowns to treat HIV+ patients decades ago and returned to short sleeves.

Indeed.
Hence my use of the 'shrapnel' in the post.
Earlier in thread, I told of my fun-and-games with ARVs after a particularly nasty and bloody fight.

Phlebotomists in SA won't touch a patient without gloves. Working multiple donors they go through gloves like a fat girl in a chocolate shop.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Indeed.
Hence my use of the 'shrapnel' in the post.
Earlier in thread, I told of my fun-and-games with ARVs after a particularly nasty and bloody fight.

And that would be an example of a universal precaution.

As part of our sharps/needlestick injury protocols they are offered here too.

And that would be an example of a universal precaution.

As part of our sharps/needlestick injury protocols they are offered here too.
The bugger is, the ARVs are horrid, make you feel like crap, and thus, in a military scenario, make you less effective.
And, as I stated early in the thread, even if the chap is U = U, how quickly can his status change if he is in a warry situation for a few weeks, running himself ragged, eating crap food etc?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The bugger is, the ARVs are horrid, make you feel like crap, and thus, in a military scenario, make you less effective.
And, as I stated early in the thread, even if the chap is U = U, how quickly can his status change if he is in a warry situation for a few weeks, running himself ragged, eating crap food etc?

But as an universal precaution, those ARVs are going to be needed for any incident as I believe that you are eluding to.

How quickly does anybody's effectiveness vary under such conditions?

As has been stated up thread, we currently deploy those with various manageable health conditions to appropriate posts

Chef

LE

But I bet they don't bite their nails:)

You haven't a clue about non-detectable viral loads, have you - or @Stovepipe? And shall I trigger you by telling you the RAF has gone for the gender-neutral term of 'Aviators' finstead of Airmen and Airwomen? Will either of these policies have any impact on our ability to drop bombs on or close with the enemy? No. Grow up.
You obviously don't understand the issue then. The PrEP medication is fine for civvies who work in an office, but what happens when the supply runs out during a long austere deployment?
Why is it worth running the risk of infecting other personnel with a lethal virus because someone has run out of his meds?
You sound like a flailing weird virtue-signaller, more interested in political messaging and should pipe the fukc down!

I recall him making a public comment on his surprise that there were no non-white faces in the crowd.

As with all such changes, there are those at the time who predict the end of civilisation, but those who follow just a few years later think of the Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells mob as bigoted primitive cave dwellers who latch onto absurdities to try and justify their bigotry.'
Your pathetic chasing of quotas does not equal a priority for the real Army.

I wouldn't have thought it a great difficulty

"Usually, people who have just been diagnosed with HIV take between 1 and 4 pills a day."

6 month tour
6*30*4 = 720 tablets

I reckon someone should be able to fit that in their bergan when they deploy.

Awesome stat. And nobody's bergan EVER got lost, nicked, mislaid by movers, separated during kinetic ops, etc, etc ad infinitum.

But as an universal precaution, those ARVs are going to be needed for any incident as I believe that you are eluding to.

How quickly does anybody's effectiveness vary under such conditions?

As has been stated up thread, we currently deploy those with various manageable health conditions to appropriate posts
Which of those are lethal to others if caught?

I don’t know - lose/break your glasses and it might be instantly adebilitating even if you fall within the army reg. From the sounds of it (according to other posters) there might be some room for manoeuvre to not take meds for HIV and it takes longer for implications of not taking meds to manifest.
If you didn’t have a spare pair you could just put on your respirator which will have prescription lenses fitted.

Anyway I look forward to to seeing the updated JSP950 which will answer all of these questions and more.

Awesome stat. And nobody's bergan EVER got lost, nicked, mislaid by movers, separated during kinetic ops, etc, etc ad infinitum.
It reminds me of Chocolate Frogs magic truck that follows the infantry around packed full of everything they could ever need.

Back to the fit lads doing all the shite taskings then.

Latest Threads