MOD to allow people with HIV to enlist

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
I haven't tried "yet" but is it possible to post on here using the TOR browser?
Aye of course. TOR. The Onion Ring is just another Internet Browser. It uses Duck Duck Go instead of Chrome, Firefox etc. The difference being, as its a VPN (Virtual Private Network) it masks your IP address, putting you in places around the world where you are not.

Edited to add. Aha! Now you know.

Aye of course. TOR. The Onion Ring is just another Internet Browser. It uses Duck Duck Go instead of Chrome, Firefox etc. The difference being, as its a VPN (Virtual Private Network) it masks your IP address, putting you in places around the world where you are not.

don't give the cnut ideas, Arte.

Since you are talking about me I thought it was only fair I actually answer this. Uninformed opinions are not facts and for better or for worse this site is read by people wanting to join the forces.
My daily medication reduces the viral load to undetectable levels (referred to as U=U), meaning I can't pass on HIV and my and others health is protected. This is vital information and needs to be understood and shared.
Freddie Mercury walt

This is the biggest load of bollocks since the vets binman went on strike.

I don't care if it's good AIDs or bad AIDs I don't want to be serving alongside someone who can pass it on. It's also a smack in the face to all those who have been rejected on medical grounds for things like childhood asthma, or excema or other health issues like polyps or piles. If you can't join with IBS, Hep or after hiatus hernia surgery why should someone be allowed with fecking HIV?

I don't care if it's good AIDs or bad AIDs I don't want to be serving alongside someone who can pass it on. It's also a smack in the face to all those who have been rejected on medical grounds for things like childhood asthma, or excema or other health issues like polyps or piles. If you can't join with IBS, Hep or after hiatus hernia surgery why should someone be allowed with fecking HIV?
see my posts #12 and #18.

Mölders 1

War Hero

I was rejected back in the mid-90's because l have Amblyopia.

bestri10

Old-Salt

I passed ADSC being one of the fittest on my course, on caution as i had to have some tests done, passed all the tests proving i had nothing wrong with me, was passed medically fit for service and after over two years of whoever does medical and recruitment messing me about was made permanently medically unfit for service even though i had proven i had nothing wrong with me and was actually passed medically fit months prior.

There some websites that let you view via VPN/TOR but will not allow you to make entries onto the website.

Should loss of medication occur for ≤ 1 week this should not lead to clinical deterioration in the condition or functional degradation during that time.

Thanks, I think the above is the key point, I expect the standards will soon be updated to include all long term conditions that can tolerate a week without medication.

ETA: Crikey, an HIV walt, really?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Speaking as a medical professional who has treated lots of HIV+ patients in a long career.
Back in the late 80s, early 90s they were seen at the end of the day and judged to be high risk, seen in full nbc kit.

These days, we take no extra precautions at all. Those with a UU status are no more risk than anyone without a BBV. (Blood borne virus)

HIV is actually one of the least infectious of the BBVs. Hep B is about 10 times worse and Hep C about 100times.

I would be far more concerned about asymptomatic Hep B or C carriers than HIV.

Someone mentioned medics with Hep B. They already exist and are allowed to practice (in civvy street)

The message to all is universal precautions. Treat everyone as if they have Hep C and you'll be safe from HIV.

Yokel

LE
I think that the COVID-19 pandemic has proved that few lay people understand viruses or infectious diseases in general. Or risk come to that.

@Pagan-Image - what is the legal position regarding the chain of command and things not explicitly mentioned in regulations? Can they ignore the recommendations of clinicians without violating the duty of care?

Christ. Most of us fell for that hook, line and sinker. Who the hell does stuff like this? Is it that shockwave bloke again?

Some people need to get a life, hasn't he anything better to do than post drivel on ARRSE all day long? You won't catch any of the rest of us doing that.

anglo

LE
If the forces are allowing HIS people to join, because it's manageable,
surely all people with manageable illnesses should be allowed to join
Example
What eyesight disqualify you from the military?
From OPM: Corrected distant vision must be at least 20/30 in one eye and 20/70 in the other eye. Uncorrected distant vision is required only if it is likely that corrective lenses may be lost or broken. If so, uncorrected distant vision must be at least 20/100 binocular.

"Uncorrected distant vision is required only if it is likely that corrective lenses may be lost or broken"

The same as
If a HIS persons HIV medicine is not available

Sounds like the MOD is opening a tin of worms