MOD to allow people with HIV to enlist

Reuters reporting that the MOD plans to allow people who have tested positive for HIV to join the armed forces if they no longer carry a detectable amount of the virus, its defence ministry said on Wednesday.

Military personnel who become infected with HIV after enlistment can already remain in the armed forces - though they are classed as not fully fit, a categorisation which the defence ministry said it planned to change too.

"Drug treatment has revolutionised the lives and outcomes of people diagnosed with HIV. As a modern and inclusive employer, it is only right that we recognise and act on the latest scientific evidence," junior defence minister Leo Docherty said.

philc

LE
A personal account.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Strange to think that just 30 years ago it was a death sentence and now it’s an easily managed condition.
Sad that despite Mother Nature's best efforts to keep world population at a manageable level (plagues, flu, Aids, SARS, MERS, ebola, zika, Covid etc), Mankind has become cocky enough to slap her in the face and destroy the planet.

Reuters reporting that the MOD plans to allow people who have tested positive for HIV to join the armed forces if they no longer carry a detectable amount of the virus, its defence ministry said on Wednesday.

Military personnel who become infected with HIV after enlistment can already remain in the armed forces - though they are classed as not fully fit, a categorisation which the defence ministry said it planned to change too.

"Drug treatment has revolutionised the lives and outcomes of people diagnosed with HIV. As a modern and inclusive employer, it is only right that we recognise and act on the latest scientific evidence," junior defence minister Leo Docherty said.

Lovely, just what the military needs, gay WOKE BAME BLM LGBTXYX & snowflakes seeing off the queens enemy's, with the added attraction of AIDS, WTF are the knobs in MOD main building, and the CS paper shufflers in white hall thinking. What happened to the square jawed foul mouthed dealers of instant death that typified the British fighting man, and made the queens Enemy's tremble, now we have F-ing snowflakes with attitude, a virus, poofs, and lumpy jumpers at the sharp end.

British Soldiers by their very description, and tradition are/ were hard faced tough fit arseh0les, anything else just will not cut it, the Russians and Chinese will be laughing all the way to the french coast...eventually.
Thank F*** for the Air force & navy.

I know, i'm a dinosaur, a BAOR dribbiling old fart, We had an army of 137,000 back in the days of the red menace, that has not gone away, neither has the Chinese threat, and what do we field.....see all the above...god give me strength!

So, if this featured sailor suffers and accident on a ship and there's blood all over the machinery, what happens then? Is the medic informed that this victim is HIV possy?

Sad that despite Mother Nature's best efforts to keep world population at a manageable level (plagues, flu, Aids, SARS, MERS, ebola, zika, Covid etc), Mankind has become cocky enough to slap her in the face and destroy the planet.
Not the planet, just the envioronment that best suits us.

Lovely, just what the military needs, gay WOKE BAME BLM LGBTXYX & snowflakes seeing off the queens enemy's, with the added attraction of AIDS, WTF are the knobs in MOD main building, and the CS paper shufflers in white hall thinking. What happened to the square jawed foul mouthed dealers of instant death that typified the British fighting man, and made the queens Enemy's tremble, now we have F-ing snowflakes with attitude, a virus, poofs, and lumpy jumpers at the sharp end.

British Soldiers by their very description, and tradition are/ were hard faced tough fit arseh0les, anything else just will not cut it, the Russians and Chinese will be laughing all the way to the french coast...eventually.

I know, i'm a dinosaur, a BAOR dribbiling old fart, We had an army of 137,000 back in the days of the red menace, that has not gone away, neither has the Chinese threat, and what do we field.....see all the above...god give me strength!

Well it all started to go downhill when the Household Division started accepting black people, although you might have some other term for that particular demographic.

So, if this featured sailor suffers and accident on a ship and there's blood all over the machinery, what happens then? Is the medic informed that this victim is HIV possy?
The level of HIV that he has, combined with his daily tablet, makes it unable to be transmitted.

I still don't think this is a great move for the MOD - what if the tablet supply is interrupted?

Ursus Major

War Hero
Well it all started to go downhill when the Household Division started accepting black people, although you might have some other term for that particular demographic.
Rumour has it that The PoW was the one that had the Regimental Colonels for a meeting without coffee on this issue back in the day.

Absolutely.
Or, as happens, soldiers in the field get injured, blood flies about, and splashes on other injured soldiers?

Oh, but ' now it’s an easily managed condition.'
Doesn't matter - I don't fcuking want it.

Great rant!

You haven't a clue about non-detectable viral loads, have you - or @Stovepipe? And shall I trigger you by telling you the RAF has gone for the gender-neutral term of 'Aviators' finstead of Airmen and Airwomen? Will either of these policies have any impact on our ability to drop bombs on or close with the enemy? No. Grow up.

You haven't a clue about non-detectable viral loads, have you - or @Stovepipe? And shall I trigger you by telling you the RAF has gone for the gender-neutral term of 'Aviators' finstead of Airmen and Airwomen? Will either of these policies have any impact on our ability to drop bombs on or close with the enemy? No. Grow up.
Problem with non-detectable levels is that they change.
Depending on chowing your ARVs and other health issues.
Go out on a 3 week patrol, and tell me about your health issues.
And how well the ARVs worked when you had galloping trots.
Sorry FC, I've had ARVs, and they are shit, make you feel like shit, and give you the shits.
And when the shit and blood starts flying, I'd rather not be in the 'spray zone', no matter what the tests and research say

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Rumour has it that The PoW was the one that had the Regimental Colonels for a meeting without coffee on this issue back in the day.
Working at the Computer Centre in Officer Manning in the second half of the 80s, I was familiar with the Officer's Record of Service. The Soldier's Record of Service was similar in construct.

There had been some uproar when grown-ups learned that a single PL/1 bit switch in the Fixed Portion, used only by the Guards, was called WogInd.

I'll leave you to draw your own conclusion as to its purpose.

I’m of the generation when HIV/Aids first started and it was terrifying. My gut instinct is that this is a poor decision, however we all need to be better informed as to why it’s acceptable.

Latest Threads