MOD Staff Still Abusing Credit Cards?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Wordsmith, Jun 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

The Guardian is carrying a story that the Public Accounts Committee has found evidence of widespread inappropriate use of GPC cards for small items of personal entertainment.

Ministry of Defence staff 'used official credit cards in bars and golf clubs' | UK news | The Guardian

Given that money is tight for all organisations, you have to query why better checks and controls are not in place. The money being spent inappropriately here could have been better spent on other MOD activities.

( I know that I can put hotels and meals on my credit card. I also know I'd get disciplined or fired if I put a night out on it in defiance of my company's guidelines).

2. Public Accounts Committe of MPs say some MOD expenses are 'questionable'

thats one hell of a large pot alleging someone has a black arse!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Surely you are not suggesting that it's wrong to have your duck house renovated at public expense? Doesn't everyone do that?
  4. Notwithstanding the outrageous duplicity of MPs commenting on matters of questionable financial shenanigans with the public purse, I'm rather surprised that there's a lack of oversight in MoD. In my particular corner of Whitehall there's (correctly) properly stringent oversight of all GPC card expenditure. I've used mine for accommodation, business class flights and numerous other expenses, all which at first glance look like I'm gadavanting around the planet on a tax payer's funded jolly. But, on closer inspection, it's all work related stuff. I think a lot of the issue is down to the reasons stated when submitting the claim. It tends to be not too deep on actual detail and reference on the task that is being funded.

GPC cards are a very good way of subverting the grindingly slow procurement process, and in my particular department, correctly audited.
    PS. No alcohol allowed to be purchased as part of subsistence, and rightly so, although I know that a sister organisation allows one alcoholic beverage per evening meal, which in my opinion is wholly wrong. Of you want a beer, or two, pay for it yourself.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Gosh it's like having one's own 3rd world corrupt ministry being in charge of billions!!!
  6. I don't even trust myself with a credit card and yet the Civil Service hands out GPCs like confetti.

7. Why do people take the risk and abuse the GPC? Multiply the chances of getting caught by the result of getting caught and you have your answer - nothing. You might get a verbal warning or, if your boss knows where to find the Civil Service Code online, a written warning, but you would have to have a boss who gave the slightest f*ck in the first place!
  8. Indeed. Unfortunately, you seem to assume that all theses monies have been spent inappropriately, whereas that may not be the case. My lot have often spent six-figure sums on hotels, drinks included, none of it inappropriate, and sometimes the only practical way for the taxpayer to pick up the tab is to put it on the GPC.
  9. msr

msr LE

So it is a tax payer funded jolly then ;)
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Must have changed since I was in. We had about three of the things for a whole Brigade Headquarters and every single line was closely audited by the very scary BUDMAN who seemed to run the HQ as much as the Commander did...
  11. I was under the impression we could claim for one alcoholic drink with lunch/dinner?

12. Comes under 'can but not approved of' in my little corner of the world.
  13. Interesting. Having spent a few weeks with MOD CS in foreign climes where they were stacking up the beers on the bar on a nightly basis and brazenly stating on multiple occasions that they were going to claim the lot back, I would suggest that is not the case in all corners of the department.

When I challenged them on this at the time their response was 'Well, we need to establish the full cost of the project'.
  14. It is that kind of selfless devotion to the task which makes me admire the British Civil Servant. Burra Pegs all round :wink:
  15. It has the stench of fresh pig shit!