MOD Sites used as Film locations!

#1
I was watching the new James Bond film "Quantum of Solace" with Mrs PM, enjoying the car chases, multiple murders, (scantily clad women when Mrs PM wasn't watching!!), when to my surprize, i recognised the location of the "Russain tenement blocks" for the last 20 mins of the film! Unless my geography was well off, it was the old Para Bks in Montgomery Lines, Aldershot!!

Now i remember when i served near there a few years ago, they used the old barracks for filming a prison scene in Clive Owens "Children of Men", and later they used the main drag through the Bks as a crash scene in "the Bill".

Are there any other sites that have been used as film sets? any one have any good stories regarding them!!

From the Bill we managed to meet "PC Reg", who seemed a bit camp and had a completly different accent, a posh southern one!! ruined my image of him as a Sunhill copper!!
 
#2
i'm pretty sure Bassingbourne was used for the training camp in Full Metal Jacket.
 
#3
#4
Caerwen - Torchwood. At least I think so, because some scenes look very much like they were filmed there.
 
#5
Pierce09 said:
i'm pretty sure Bassingbourne was used for the training camp in Full Metal Jacket.
Yup! Went there in the late 1980s and some bits of the film's assualt course were still there. I recall being told they has imported various palm trees and the like.
 
#6
I also recall someone telling me that Aldershot Training Area was used in "Gladiator" anyone confirm this?? it certainly looks like the area we used to drag our soory arses around on the CFT!
 
#7
Gas Gas Gas said:
Pierce09 said:
i'm pretty sure Bassingbourne was used for the training camp in Full Metal Jacket.
Yup! Went there in the late 1980s and some bits of the film's assualt course were still there. I recall being told they has imported various palm trees and the like.
Yes, we were allowed on various bits of the assault course in early 88. Also if you watch the film they have changed the road signs to look american but forgot the change the road markings.
 
#8
IIRC, Soldier Soldier (TV prog) used the compond at Hankley Common in numerous episodes. I got told to leg it on one occasion whilst setting an orienteering course.
 
#9
PartTimePongo said:
Caerwen - Torchwood. At least I think so, because some scenes look very much like they were filmed there.
Torchwood was definately filmed there.

I did a recce on Caerwent Training Area at the end of last year and witnessed a film crew load of luvvies pretending that an old building (104?) was a futuristic planet.

The lead actor (American poo pusher) was absent from the set but the female set director was incredibly easy on the eye and ideal for a het man such as myself to lech at.
 
#10
PraetorianMonkey said:
I was watching the new James Bond film "Quantum of Solace" with Mrs PM, enjoying the car chases, multiple murders, (scantily clad women when Mrs PM wasn't watching!!), when to my surprize, i recognised the location of the "Russain tenement blocks" for the last 20 mins of the film! Unless my geography was well off, it was the old Para Bks in Montgomery Lines, Aldershot!!

Now i remember when i served near there a few years ago, they used the old barracks for filming a prison scene in Clive Owens "Children of Men", and later they used the main drag through the Bks as a crash scene in "the Bill".

Are there any other sites that have been used as film sets? any one have any good stories regarding them!!

From the Bill we managed to meet "PC Reg", who seemed a bit camp and had a completly different accent, a posh southern one!! ruined my image of him as a Sunhill copper!!

After a long trapse over Chobham Common (the ridges range) many years ago I came across a typical US 'hick' town built in 2D but complete with a sherrifs car and various other 60's style motors.

It turned out it was a set for the first Superman movie,although most of the UK stuff was shot in pinewood and shepperton. It may have been for camera tests - as principal filming moved to the US.

There was no sign of Christopher Reeve however.
 
#11
I believe the James Bond film Die Another Day used the Aldershot test track for the hovercraft chase bits..
 
#12
Minley Mannor Officers Mess was used for the Divinci Code

Barton Road Ranges were also used for Full Metal Jacket
 
#13
Lulworth in Far From The Madding Crowd
 
#14
fly_guy said:
IIRC, Soldier Soldier (TV prog) used the compond at Hankley Common in numerous episodes. I got told to leg it on one occasion whilst setting an orienteering course.
Assistant directors (2nd and 3rd) seem to think that the most important thing in the wrld is their bloody film. I hate it when they are rude to the public who are, quite naturally, taking an interest.

an aside:
By the way did you learn to PG with the civvies or Bavaria/S.Wales with Dickie and his mob?
 
#15
fly_guy said:
IIRC, Soldier Soldier (TV prog) used the compond at Hankley Common in numerous episodes. I got told to leg it on one occasion whilst setting an orienteering course.
An episode of Soldier Soldier where there is a serious incident during a river crossing was filmed at Charlie tank crossing just outside Durrington on Salisbury Plain.

Although I expect quite a bit of the on ops scenes in Soldier Soldier were filmed on Salisbury Plain!
 
#16
PraetorianMonkey said:
I also recall someone telling me that Aldershot Training Area was used in "Gladiator" anyone confirm this?? it certainly looks like the area we used to drag our soory arses around on the CFT!
If you're referring to the beginning where Russell commands everyone to 'unleash hell' you're about 3 miles off.

This was filmed at in Bourne Woods, Farnham - basically the National Trust wanted to chop a load of trees down and Ridley Scott said he's do it for them if they didn't mind him shooting a little movie there.
 
#17
I was watching an old "Prime Suspect" recently and am pretty sure they used Longmoor FIBUA village for the Kosovo scenes
 
#18
PraetorianMonkey said:
I also recall someone telling me that Aldershot Training Area was used in "Gladiator" anyone confirm this?? it certainly looks like the area we used to drag our soory arses around on the CFT!
Towards Farnham.
They burnt back a lot of the pines to get it looking right.
 
#19
PraetorianMonkey said:
I was watching the new James Bond film "Quantum of Solace" with Mrs PM, enjoying the car chases, multiple murders, (scantily clad women when Mrs PM wasn't watching!!), when to my surprize, i recognised the location of the "Russain tenement blocks" for the last 20 mins of the film! Unless my geography was well off, it was the old Para Bks in Montgomery Lines, Aldershot!!

Now i remember when i served near there a few years ago, they used the old barracks for filming a prison scene in Clive Owens "Children of Men", and later they used the main drag through the Bks as a crash scene in "the Bill".

Are there any other sites that have been used as film sets? any one have any good stories regarding them!!

From the Bill we managed to meet "PC Reg", who seemed a bit camp and had a completly different accent, a posh southern one!! ruined my image of him as a Sunhill copper!!
You are quite correct with regard to the last scene of 'The Quantum Of Solace' being filmed in Monty Lines - your aged eyes haven't deceived you!

Berlin

PS. If your arse is still feeling 'soory' can I suggest that you get Mrs P - M to change the ointment!

Strength and Honour!

I too have finally managed to escape for pastures new!
 
#20
Memphis Belle was filmed at the old Lightning base at RAF Binbrook. Knew a lad who was detached there doing Air Traffic for the filming. A few of the guys got picked to be extras for the scene at the beginning where all the Groundcrew are waiting for the bombers to return.

They lived to regret it though when they got slabbed to hell for publicity seeking .. :D
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads