MoD set to DOUBLE Tour Times to 12 Months

Fears are growing that tens of thousands of British soldiers will have the duration of their front-line tours doubled to a year.

Senior officers serving in Afghanistan have already seen their tours extended by up to six months.

And military experts fear it is a precursor to the hard-pressed Ministry of Defence forcing all troops to serve overseas for longer.

MoD to Extend Tours to 12 Months?

Gook

Old-Salt
Will it really be 1yr on, 4 yrs off?
Or 1 yr on, 2yrs off?

And would it have any bearing on the rate of psychological problems? Surely experiencing all that for longer (Even if the ratio was the same) is going to compound anything of that sort...

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
From the article

An MoD spokesman said: "We realise the value of continuity in key roles and have extended selected key appointments. Currently there are no plans to extend tour lengths for front-line battalions. Commanders are also aware of the impact that operational tours, their frequency and length, have on our personnel and military families."

With op tag training etc would the build up and tour not be more like 18 months
What about a nice married patch out at the COB?
Some of those Iraqi huts where quite nice :D

Deeper and deeper. How about some help from our NATO colleagues? Mercer is wrong. The British Army is being run into the sand, for what?

Gook said:
Will it really be 1yr on, 4 yrs off?
Or 1 yr on, 2yrs off?

And would it have any bearing on the rate of psychological problems? Surely experiencing all that for longer (Even if the ratio was the same) is going to compound anything of that sort...
In my experience the longer you are in a volotile environment the more you get used to it. A year on with 4 years off may be better.

Fallsch you know and I know it will not be 1 on 4 off. Take a look at the US and their experience. Furthermore incidence of PTSD in US Forces is sky rocketting.

Fallschirmjager said:
6 months on 2 years off.
12 months on 4 years off.

What's the difference? Those who do not like it have the privelage to sign off.
The difference is that many will, sign off.

Some people enjoy the excitement of active service, Judging by your posts since your tour of AFG FJ you like the buzz and want more of it. Not everyone does for a second time mate. Offered another session the majority will say no thanks.

Nothing to do with not having the balls or guts to do it but simply people have other priorities in life, and beyond finding out if you've got what it takes there's not many who are interested in getting their arse shot off for a bunch of ingrates a second time round. 'War is a young mans game' is not a quote based on nothing.

The level of stupidity in some of these forums never ceases to amaze. Perhaps less stupidity and more gross naivety which probably amounts to the same thing. Extending your tour to 12 months with four years off.....and who suggested this....a labour politician?!!!

Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuahahahahahahaha

These are Broons crew, who will say anything to keep their miserable jobs or perhaps you believe everything they tell you.

<Shakes his head in disbelief> :roll:

As the article says, there are no plans to extend tours to 1 year. Senior officers doing 9 months makes sense, they get time to conduct a 'longer' game plan and to ensure their intent is met.

One of the Americans early failings in Iraq was the fact that after 6 months a Div Commander who was building rapport and confidence with the Iraqis was rotated out and some Gung-Ho hoo-ahing prick would take over and isolate the Iraqis who had helped the previous Commander. - See 'Fiasco' by Thomas E. Ricks for details.

Guys, don't waste your breath on this story.

Slow news day for the Daily Mail. The story is based on three points:

1. Some key senior officers have had their tours extended for continuity

2. Kilcullen - in an article published a while back - wrote that the US benefit from having longer tours. Probably true, but not necessarily something we're going to copy.

3. "Military experts"... hmmm... who, exactly? To be honest, if the Mail had spoken to anyone in the know it would be "Senior Officers declared.... "

Nothing more than that. If it were a serious proposition, the Mail would be pinching the story from ARRSE, not the other way round.

In this case I fully believe the MoD. They aren't completely stupid. In many cases, yes... but not in this one.

Basically - ain't gonna happen. No point getting outraged over a non-story.

Charlie

Nigegilb writes
"The British Army is being run into the sand, for what?"

Yes Nue Labours motives do make me wonder.
12 month tours would suggest a greater Afganistan infrastructure would be required to support troops in country.
6 months is probably right for I doubt the Army could allow 4 years between tours.
john

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
I can see FJ's point come the end of the tour everyone is used to it and skills and drills are on top form

However:
If you are going to spend 12 months on tour you might as well go PMC and get 4 x the money

It is about time the British government listened to the people , far from increasing the length of tours they should be scrapped and all troops pulled out of Iraq and Stan , it isn't our problem and we have no right to geet involved in either country.
Far better using the troops to do something about the UK being invaded by hundreds of thousands of illegals.
I do believe the British public support the troops but not the involvement in either Iraq or Stan.
and before anyone asks yes I did 22 years

OldTimer said:
It is about time the British government listened to the people , far from increasing the length of tours they should be scrapped and all troops pulled out of Iraq and Stan , it isn't our problem and we have no right to geet involved in either country.
Far better using the troops to do something about the UK being invaded by hundreds of thousands of illegals.
I do believe the British public support the troops but not the involvement in either Iraq or Stan.
and before anyone asks yes I did 22 years
Nice sentiment; really. However, you are of course absolutely wrong in thinking that Iraq and Afghanistan are 'not our problem' and that the policing of a perceived immigration problem is. Actually, in my view, the opposite is true. The UK has been/is exercising its strength alongside its what it has conveniently assumed to be its allies in Iraq and Afghanistan because it is perceived by the Govt of the day to be an expedient/convenient thing to do. End of story really. Questions of so-called International Law, legality, and the lay opinion of observers etc (ie whether it is 'our business') are in fact largely irrelevant (Realist International Relations theory applies as ever).

Our 'glorious leader', elected by the Labour Party, not the people, and charged with the stewardship of this Nation's security, is ineptly stumbling from one defence and security crisis to another like a blind drunk having a stroke on a bouncy castle!

The last Tsar of All the Russias was more in touch with his Armed Forces than Gordon Brown, who I sincerely hope will resign to spend more time with his family at the earliest possible opportunity!

Thank god only officers can quite so easily or this Nation’s defence would be in the hands of the Captains of our Trident carrying submarine fleet!

At this rate they'll need the regular reservist and TA for flood aid, fireman's strike, staff the prsions etc. and draft in the ACF to do public duties!

This is a typcial dail hate non story. The reason senior figures had their tours extended was due to the need to build and maintain good relationships with seniors in the host Governments. There is no intent to change tour lengths to one year for rank and file troops. While I can see an argument for 9 months, I've never heard anyone put forward or support 1 year tours for formations, merely for a few very senior (2* plus) officers in certain positions where continuity is essential.

Latest Threads