MOD selling the family silver

sambo1983

Old-Salt
I know this is RAF-orientated (although St Mawgan is tri-service)......I see the gate guardian at my beloved home camp is being flogged...yet again the MOD selling the family silver...more asset stripping and penny pinching.

Can't these clowns see how crucial a gate guardian is to a camp's heritage and identity???

Really sad to see. If I was a millionaire I'd buy it and stick it in my back garden.

They'll sell the clothes off our back next...

:(

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...74917/20141113-Schedule1_Shackleton_clean.pdf

ugly

LE
So would you prefer it was wasted as scrap? St Mawgan is as close to shut down as it can be.

ugly

LE
I know this is RAF-orientated (although St Mawgan is tri-service)......I see the gate guardian at my beloved home camp is being flogged...yet again the MOD selling the family silver...more asset stripping and penny pinching.

Can't these clowns see how crucial a gate guardian is to a camp's heritage and identity???

Really sad to see. If I was a millionaire I'd buy it and stick it in my back garden.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...74917/20141113-Schedule1_Shackleton_clean.pdf
Well as its hardly 4 star accom I can see why Aircrew wont use it but by other posters standards that means my piss stained mattress and claude the pamphlet storemans roll ups should be encased in Perspex and parked on a plinth outside of Weeton Camp! As for giving it to Hendon, those single issue cnuts left a lovely Halifax to rot on public view as it was "as found!" the tossers!
I wouldn't give them the steam of my poo!

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
I take it the sale will be 'buyer collects'. Enter White Van Man with chain saw.

sambo1983

Old-Salt
So would you prefer it was wasted as scrap? St Mawgan is as close to shut down as it can be.

Is it? Not what I heard when I was based there 2 years ago. I thought DSTO was keeping it alive for the long-term, maybe I'm wrong...

ugly

LE
Is it? Not what I heard when I was based there 2 years ago. I thought DSTO was keeping it alive for the long-term, maybe I'm wrong...
Despite additional central Govt funding the new (ish) Newquay international is struggling as are many regional strips

It is being replaced by an MRA4 as the gate guardian.

Despite additional central Govt funding the new (ish) Newquay international is struggling as are many regional strips

ISTR they had a shaky start, problems with CAA permissions. The Aircraft looks tidy inside, sad it can't be made a "feature", but there's that old saying about accountant's and values.

ugly

LE
One has to wonder how big the gate is if a shack is the Guardian! Surely a more apt one would be a tourist pregnant by a Black US Marine!

Nice as they are, Gate Guardians can be a pain in the arse to maintain by the resident unit. There is the cost of cleaning, maintenance etc and the inevitable weather deterioration to take into account. There is only so much you can achieve by dicking a few lads on ROPs to keep the thing clean or give it a lick of paint!
As far as I can remember, there is no MOD budget line for units to tap into for Gate Guardian maintenance - has to be self funded. I'd imagine something like this aircraft will be very expensive to keep in good condition. Far better it is sold off to an enthusiast or museum, which will have the funds to give it an appropriate after-life.
Anyhow, as a spectacle, it sure beats the long wheel base Landrover SATCOM Gate Guardian that sits outside the main gate at 30 Signal Regiment in Bramcote!

On my APC and whilst doing the sea drill training at RAF St Mawgan, after a night on the tiles we broke into that thing and had a good play around inside, before we were politely invited to attend the guardroom (which we declined).

It was in a crap state then. Hopefully someone will chop through the main spar to prevent any enthusiasts from getting it airborne again.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

ugly

LE
Or allegedly a Cruise missile

Spent 4 great years at St Mawgan as MPGS. The Shackleton never really got all that much attention while I was there. Makes me wonder who would miss it.

Bogey_Miner

Old-Salt
I thought the shack was now looked after by a old boys club?

So should cost the MoD zilch in maint.

She looked tidy enough when I had a tour in summer 2012.

St Mawgan camp is currently home to a RAF ForDev wing (AT basically), has hosted decompression, is used annually for acf/ccf camps for 9 or so weeks at a time through summer and at other times. The air cadets in the sw are based out of it and have a trg facility. It is a fantastic facility where it is for unit at or similar.

Shut the strip if neccesary (civie airport and emergency choppers are there too) but the camp should be kept.

we should start a facebook page.....:grin:

Yeah, good idea. Means we can get rid of this junk quicker, and free an' all.

Latest Threads