MOD secuirty clearance form

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by JimmyWaff, Dec 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

I have just recently completed my AOSB briefing with a Cat 1, and have just recieved my MOD security clearance form ... i have a question relating to section 14 Criminal Convictions.

I have two police cautions ... one for common assault dating back to 2004, for which i was sticking up for a friend with a broken arm who had been punched a number of times ... and the second one is for posession of a banned substance from 2007.

I am obviously going to declare both of these under section 14 as honesty is the only option, however i was wondering if anyone here had any experience with a similar problem, and does anyone know if i will automatically be rejected Security Clearance??

any advice (apart from that i shouldn't have got arrested) would be very much appriciated.

Thank You.
  2. Go for it. If you get rejected, you get rejected. You'll probably try again as an OR. If you put it off now you'll spend the rest of your life thinking 'what if'?

I'm not forces myself but 'going for something when you have nothing to lose' is basic knowledge for life.
  3. If you hide something on a security vetting then you are a security risk. If you declare it then no-one can ever blackmail you. They'll know about them anyway and they probably wont be too happy that you came on here to ask if you should be honest or not. ;)
  4. Perhaps broach the subject with your ACA?
  5. perhaps i should explain myself a bit better ... i was always going to be honest about it on my form, that goes without saying ... i was asking whether anyone knows for definate if this is a guarenteed rejection on the security clearance.

Guess there's only one way to find out. Hopefully they will take into account my referees opinions of me and my AOSB briefing performance.
  6. There's only one thing you should ever consider when completing any vetting form.

Honesty. Nothing else matters.
  7. Although spelling your name correctly is helpful too. ;)
  8. :D
  9. I presume that at AOSB briefing you were asked about whether or not you had a police record, and they or your ACA would have mentioned by now if it was a problem. I believe for officer that the offences have to be spent, but I dont know offhand how long those two would take. If you do get knocked back, try soldier entry. There will be no problems with those two, I know someone who got in with a GBH conviction.
  10. I agree with the previous posters.

Just a quick thought/tip: make sure you take a photocopy/scan of the completed form so that when you come to complete it again in the future you don't have to hunt around for the info. :oops:
  11. Couldn't agree more, you'll end up doing more of these at RMAS, probably when you hit your Regiment, and then even thicker ones when you need to be DV'd, and it's so much easier to copy from your last than trying to find the postcode of your address when you were 7... Also means that you won't accidentally put somethign difefrent down and get flagged up for changing a statement.

On the original question - if you've made it this far then those selecting you must have already lnown about it so you're not going to get rodded off now (I'd like to hope).

You can't fail if you're honest - the fact that you've admitted it on the internet means that it's not something you're going to hide, so you can't be blackmailed, meaning you're not a risk. People have admitted to a lot worse in the past and got through...
  12. The only thing you might have a problem with is the 'banned substance' assault wont be a problem,it wa not in my case. However the army is a bit touchy about drugs and it was quite recent as well.
  13. Plutonium / Ivory / Blue Whale Semen ?
  14. JimmyWaff, honesty is definitely the best policy. I would be very surprised if police cautions would be detrimental to your joining; plus it will be something to discuss at your vetting interview, and in the bar, and your soldiers will be very impressed with a conviction for aggravated GBH, which is what it should become when you're discussing it in the bar.