MoD pays £150,000 to pulp Afghanistan book after

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Kitmarlowe, Mar 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

and you can guarantee that it'll do great things for the sale of the book

2. what a coincedence!

3. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Good publicity.

But are we going to see a book about every single unit deployment in HERRICK - they are starting to get a bit the same. Even Bomb Hunters (launched rather cynically on the back of Oz Schmid's inquest) has sunk without trace.

4. All that aside this should have all been sorted long before the book came to publication. It looks as though there has been consultation on this matter and it should have been resolved long before the actual book was printed.

5. Groans, once again the MOD does itself an own goal. One thing I would note, there is more to this than is being publicly reported. There always is, and often its very difficult to explain that to the public because in doing so you reveal the issue you wanted to hide. If its the issue I think it could be, then I can see why this emerged at the last minute (but I'm likely to be very wrong on that).

Vetting of books is a challenge, because its striking a balance between OPSEC, and the authors desires to tell a good story. Its also a case of ensuring that the forces are happy that they are not at risk - having spoken with mates in other Govt departments who saw entire operations ruined and potential prosecutions collapse following the publication of memoirs which massively compromised their work, its clear that a balance must be struck. Sometimes things slip through the loop, but if thats what it takes to support our efforts then I'm afraid I must (reluctantly) say that it was probably the right thing to do.

6. I suspect it has more to do with:

flawed strategy of seizing territory without enough troops to hold it.

And the MOD not wanting to air some dirty laundry.

7. Publisher I used to work at did a book on Operation Banner and we ran it past the MOD. It was interesting to see their feedback; what they didn't mind being printed and, on the other hand, what they had an absolute shitfit over. On the whole they were fine to deal with and didn't ask for many redactions. Anything that concerned alleged misconduct - stories about brutality, rough interrogation etc - they didn't care about. But they really spat the dummy over a couple of mentions of a certain intelligence unit that they insisted shouldn't be talked about under any circumstances because it had never existed. Still a sore spot after all these years it seems.

8. Just you wait until some chancer from 22SAS writes a book.All macho tales of dering do and that.

9. A member of Them writing a book? Never happen.

10. I would be a lot happier if this kind of story was also accompanied with someone losing their job for incompetence.

11. Case of those doing the publication vetting needing their vetting vetted.

12. Forgive me if I've missed your sarcasm, but after 'almost 500 requests for changes', is there going to be much left?

13. "The costs will be paid for from funds generated by the MoD through its merchandising and licensing activity and by a contribution from non public funds. As a result no other defence activity will suffer as a result of this payment. "

I can understand "merchandising and licensing activity", but have a lttle more trouble with the "contribution from non public funds" ?

14. AKA Smoke and Mirrors.