MOD owned Trophy deactivated weapons

I've been asked to help a friend who's unit has found two old deactivated wall hangers that where bunged in the back of a store and are missing their certificates. Can someone direct me what would be the correct process to getting new certs and where it is laid down. Is this a JSP440 item?

Any help appreciated.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

To obtain new certificates they would need to be re-deactivated to current specs and submitted for proofing again...
From what I have seen that wouldn't be difficult as they where pretty gutted with no working parts internally!

There was a law coming in last year that all deactivated weapons have to be registered. I don’t know if it’s in force yet.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
What are they ? , because antique guns in obsolete calibres are a different category.
there has been a thing recently of people buying antique guns in house clearances and having the ammunition made or sent over.

I assume they closed the loophole over non FAC owners being able to buy shells, primers, powder separately as they were doing in the 90s.

What are they ? , because antique guns in obsolete calibres are a different category.
M1919 and FN MAG.

M1919 and FN MAG.

When you get on line, THIS may help:
...JSP 440 Part 7, Section 7, Chapter 3, Page 6, Para 14.a.
I’m not on line yet, so I haven’t confirmed or otherwise yet.

When you get on line, THIS may help:

I’m not on line yet, so I haven’t confirmed or otherwise yet.
Thank you I will check that today!

Next question is do they have UK deactivated proof marks or not ?

When you said they are missing working parts this seems suspicious as deactivation doesn't require that. Could a bring back trophy weapon be used for display within a military establishment and never actually deactivated just some parts removed or knackered by an armourer not to any standard ?

ugly

LE
It used to be that provided the weapons were on the units flick they didn’t require any certification and deactivation was done by the unit armourer so working parts removal was fine provided everything could be inspected when required!
When weapons became section 58b they didn’t require any certification at all

Could you pass deactivation proof if there were major working parts missing ?

If there's no bolt for instance how can they pass it as deactivated ?

It used to be that provided the weapons were on the units flick they didn’t require any certification and deactivation was done by the unit armourer so working parts removal was fine provided everything could be inspected when required!
When weapons became section 58b they didn’t require any certification at all
Yes, but when you were fighting back in the Boar War, the Army did it’s own thing. These days it has to comply with legislation.

JJWRacing

Clanker
When Goojerat Barracks was being moved to Merville Barracks, one of my tasks was to collect all the Trophy weapons get them checked and registered as per the new Law, of all the weapons checked, 75% were still active, this included an original sten gun, a 12.7mm DShK , and a T55 tank (had no engine but everything else worked!!!!)

When Goojerat Barracks was being moved to Merville Barracks, one of my tasks was to collect all the Trophy weapons get them checked and registered as per the new Law, of all the weapons checked, 75% were still active, this included an original sten gun, a 12.7mm DShK , and a T55 tank (had no engine but everything else worked!!!!)
I was presented with a deactivated AK-47 when leaving one unit - but left it there on departure - discretion being the better part of valour!!

ugly

LE
Could you pass deactivation proof if there were major working parts missing ?

If there's no bolt for instance how can they pass it as deactivated ?
Yes because you can still butcher the barrel and trigger mech to comply! You could also make it impossible to put a new bolt in the rifle with some welding

Is there anything in the regulations that allows an armoury to deactivate a weapon and certify it as so? Or is it only the London and Birmingham Proof houses?

ugly

LE
Is there anything in the regulations that allows an armoury to deactivate a weapon and certify it as so? Or is it only the London and Birmingham Proof houses?
The proof acts are to protect the buying public, military proof is usually done at factories! No sensible reason why it should be a proof house apart from their desire for monopoly

Ergo you wouldn’t legally be able to sell or dispose of to the public

Latest Threads