MOD Overspend by billions... bases to closes

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Office_Linebacker, Dec 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Channel 4 news now......
  2. Link
    Can`t be true can it, Browns just promised 1.5 billion to help climate change, surely he would put defence I`m just being stupid aren`t I :evil:
  3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

No shock there then.
  4. According to the C4 news it is mainly caused by, "Badly judged procurement decisions"

No suprise there then
  5. Given this government's habit of re-announcing things, can we hope (if that's the word) that the base to be announced as close is RAF Lyneham
  6. MOD's 'overspent by £6 Billion over the next decade'?

Hello, One Eyed Porridge Wog, you fvckers drew us into two wars costing us not far off that a year!
  7. £6 billion! Nothing really. How much do the Gobment waste each year on benefits for losers, scum and a few that genuinely need it?

8. In 2008/09, gross income tax receipts were £152.5 billion. In the same year, social security benefits cost the Exchequer £150.1 billion.
    In 2009/10, the Treasury is expecting to take in £140.5 billion in gross income tax receipts. Social security benefits are projected to be £164.7 billion.
  9. So it is all down to procurement overspends is it? Blame soon to be pointed at MoD Civ Servants and the military.

But hold on, what is the financial threshold for Ministerial endorsement? It used to be a mere £15m in my day which in procuremnt terms was pretty small. So anything over that figure (adjusted for inflation) must be approved by the Minister. So surely the finger returns to point squarely on the utterly useless politicians and political appointees that have been in charge.

The inability to control the budgets also (IMHO) is compounded by ludicrous management fads, financial managemet tools and inevitably PFIs that have loaded un-controlable down-stream costs.
  10. Dont know if its linked to the Channel 4 story, but local media down here in the West Country is suggesting the Vehicle Depot at Ashchurch is at risk.

Given the MoD has just spent millions doing up the workshops / sheds and altering the entry road, it only makes sense to the bean counters! :?
  11. \

Labour will also conveniently forget that some of these overspends are as a direct result of political meddling.

Classic example? The ever increasing in cost and later than ever A400M EuroTurkey, bought in preference to the proven, in service and fixed price C-17 so that Labour could buff up it's 'good european' credentials with the Frogs.
  12. My money is on RAF Kinloss closing.

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

This is actually a brilliant masterstroke by a far-sighted government who are paragons of financial management, but we will need Ashie to explain exactly how and why this is a manifestation of fiscal excellence.
  14. I'm really starting to understand now why German ex-squaddies joined the Freikorps after World War One...