MOD Org Chart

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Rather than resurrecting an old thread, I wondered if anyone has access to the current wiring diagram for MOD MB/HOCS. I have hunted on line but found nada. I know these things used to be widely available, but are they now secret?

they are available under the open gov't scheme. S/by for a bit and I'll have a hunt around

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Thanks Alfred, but they are linear lists/tables rather than diagrams. I imagine I could piece a chart together from '123456 reports to 654321', but it'd take more time and effort than I can drum up..

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Thanks, I found that one earlier, but for some reason it fixates on the National Army Museum and won't budge!

Thanks, I found that one earlier, but for some reason it fixates on the National Army Museum and won't budge!
For me too. Infuriating, as the OGDs all seem to work.

Another stunning bit of Government IT

If you look at the data sources you can drill down, whilst not providing an instance orgasmatron it does at least list them in a better format than a spreadsheet!

Search Results

Thanks Alfred, but they are linear lists/tables rather than diagrams. I imagine I could piece a chart together from '123456 reports to 654321', but it'd take more time and effort than I can drum up..
moon on a stick next?

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I had seen them, but figured the power of Arrse could save me a couple of hours..

In response to the CAS.....final comments:

1. I could say an awful lot but most of that is off limits - not that that bothers me remotely but I have got to the stage where observing black gloss paint drying in a greenhouse is a more productive way to pass the time.

2. Surveys like this self-evidently show we have too many senior officers grappling with issues they don't understand, and the outcomes of these surveys merely highlight how the same senior officers don’t, actually, have the wherewithal to mitigate - still less improve things, or the authority to do anything particularly useful anyway. Monarchy, or more cringingly game-show hosting, rather than leadership, is thus the default. Central to leadership of course is a plan. Without a plan that leadership is not leadership at all, it is something else.

3. A plan - whether it is for successfully executing operations, shooting straight, getting fit, ensuring soldiers eat properly to do the job they are paid to do, providing healthcare, creating financial allowances and making their application easy, enabling accompanied service, managing the estate and all the rest of it, has to come first before you execute it - with of course the appropriate "behaviours" which I note have recently been trailed as if they had only just been invented. And that plan has to be irrevocably and umbilically tethered to the need to deliver or facilitate efficient Service. Not with some modish flim-flam or attempt to persuade those, for whom it is in their DNA to dislike us, to embrace us miraculously after some putative Road to The Tidworth “Super Garrison” conversion Experience. Someone has to stand up and declare that regardless of our attempts to comply with whatever “modern” jejune social experimentation is currently fashionable, that which only works when the tide is out is not for the Army, because when it comes crashing back in to wash away falsity like the matchwood it is, you might not find you have an Army worth the name to hold that tide back.

4. Fundamental to efficient Service - ie "output" - is minimising the angst and friction Servicemen have to tolerate to ensure "all the other stuff" you have to do to your job, support yourself and your family are as simple and straightforward as possible, so you have as little distraction as possible from the priorities. I have no faith whatsoever that current members of the Royal Family are actively guarding over what are left of the tried and tested axioms put in place by our forefathers to support this – forefathers who expended their time either winning wars or working out how to win them, not penning “narratives” in badly written English.

5. I say this, given the number of those axioms that I can see laying strewn, crumpled and dishevelled, along the motorway hard-shoulder, in the rear view mirror of the hire car I had to give 3 weeks’ notice for in order to attend the meeting that was called yesterday, just before I pull into the layby of the guardroom to join the back of a long queue of contractors, in order to exchange one form of military identification for another, to afford access to the pay as you dine facility, which will only desultorily give me egg and chips because I simply wasn't there to fill out the menu option at 0800 that morning. The good news is I can now wear a rugby top and “slacks” while I eat it, as long as I don’t dare catch the eye of the chap in red with the funny hat in the large oil painting who knows there is just no point in asking why, with just a little bit more effort, can I not be bothered to respect the memory of the men which the silver centrepiece in front of me commemorates.

6. So we have literal absurdities like this “Continuous Attitude Survey” - a phrase which, without Latin case-endings, means certainly for pedants three different things before you start. It even attracts its own TLA, although given the original is a thing of the past unless the US are in town, we can, I guess let that one pass. We are told it will “inform” the insanity that is the NEM, whose lame apologists will cravenly protest that NEM is nothing to do with saving money and also naively glaze over the fact that those initiatives are not tethered to anything connected with the output referred to earlier, but instead consists merely either of incoherent “bytes” designed more for the next chapter of the “narrative” than anything else or optional improvements that are blindingly obvious – who wouldn’t want to consider using a cheap loan to buy property? Questions are asked and disingenuously posed outside of the context that begs inclusion, and then what follows is the failure to apply military judgement about the consequences of those initiatives in reality. At no point, for instance, has anyone been asked "Do you want to live in your own home, with all the stability that goes with it if that means you doing a series of married unaccompanied tours because we have not the means, imagination or real intent to guarantee you continuous employment and a proper career near that home?"

7. If anybody reads this – I accept you will put it down to the fact I am 50, but trust me, I would have thought this way at 21 if what I observe now was shamelessly served up to me then. All I have done since is just watch and note how far, far, far greater thinkers than me (I just nick their ideas) from Plato through to Russell and Powell, sadly but correctly predict this on all too frequent a basis - that things fall apart despite the best of intentions - if you take the apparently easier path of popularising your way through a problem rather than leading it.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I...I don't think this thread was about the Continuous Attitude Survey.

On a related note, is Trotsky still alive somewhere and teaching single-post ARRSE members how to write?