MoD needs Talent-ed officers.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jan 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/01/10/nsub10.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/01/10/ixhome.html

Good example for the captain of Tireless.

So long ago? Who do remember it?

I hope that he will be an admiral soon.

2. I did a job with the RN on Talent back in 94-the CO (not this chap) was a real Gent and had "it". He was without doubt one of the best officers I have ever seen. You don't put idiots in charge of nuke boats. that said, as a group of people, submariners are a bit strange, good fun, but a little odd.

3. Looks to me like they had someone with an anti social psycopathic personality disorder in charge of a Nuke boat. Almost restores your faith in the MOD doesn't it?

4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Sounds like an ideal candidate for Neue Arbeit's ' Nuff Respec' programme to me.....

<< stand STILL, face front and LISTEN IN fackwits.....>> :lol:

5. Apparently that's what the "perisher" (legendary submarine command course) does to you.

6. 1. May have passed Perisher and can drive a submarine with the best of them, but it would appear that he forgot everything he was ever taught about leadership at BRNC.

2. Don't know how anyone could be reduced to tears whilst receiving a b0llocking from someone who looks so much like Ricky Gervais.

3. Shouting an screaming at an officer when ORs are in close proximity- now that's professionalism for you. :roll:

4. Being a disciplinarian is one thing, but when your crew is afraid of you, they are never going to give you their best, they won't trust you and you're fcuked if you think they're ever going to lift a finger to help you out of a jam.

5. For a profession that is so obsessive about keeping quiet, it seems that shouting and bawling is not exactly tactically sound either. I wonder if the Russians are going to offer up sonar tapes as evidence? :D

7. Is his conduct designed to improve performance or does he just get a kick out of humiliating better men than he I wonder?

8. I would. Until you have been under a boss who's presence makes you truly fearful purely becuase of bullying then you have no idea of what you store up. I had one who was such a bully (he used to keep the lads on parade until he thought fit at knock off. Somtimes until 6 pm, simply because he could), so verbally abusive,and such poor man manager that he was universally hated and not one person shed a tear when instant karma kicked in and he was done for drink driving. Twice.
    In short, you remember these people and every little demeaning thing they did to you.

9. How right are you Speedy!

Excuse me. Really my comments were ironic.

Then my father was a cadet in Anti-aircraft High School (city of Gorkiy) then there was one very unpleasant sergeant. My father remembers him even after more than 50 year.

10. Apologies for pasting from the bullying post but:

What is bullying?
    Bullying is persistent unwelcome behaviour, mostly using unwarranted or invalid criticism, nit-picking, fault-finding, also exclusion, isolation, being singled out and treated differently, being shouted at, humiliated, excessive monitoring, having verbal and written warnings imposed, and much more. In the workplace, bullying usually focuses on distorted or fabricated allegations of underperformance. Click here for definitions of workplace bullying.

Why do people bully?
    The purpose of bullying is to hide inadequacy. Bullying has nothing to do with managing etc; good managers manage, bad managers bully. Management is managing; bullying is not managing. Therefore, anyone who chooses to bully is admitting their inadequacy, and the extent to which a person bullies is a measure of their inadequacy. Bullies project their inadequacy on to others:

a) to avoid facing up to their inadequacy and doing something about it;
    b) to avoid accepting responsibility for their behaviour and the effect it has on others, and,
    c) to reduce their fear of being seen for what they are, namely a weak, inadequate and often incompetent individuals, and,
    d) to divert attention away from their inadequacy - in an insecure or badly-managed workplace, this is how inadequate, incompetent and aggressive employees keep their jobs.

Bullying is an inefficient way of working, resulting in disenchantment, demoralisation, demotivation, disaffection, and alienation. Bullies run dysfunctional and inefficient organisations; staff turnover and sickness absence are high whilst morale, productivity and profitability are low. Prosperity is illusory and such organizations are a bad long-term investment. Projection and denial are hallmarks of the serial bully.

Bullying is present behind all forms of harassment, discrimination, prejudice, abuse, persecution, conflict and violence. When the bullying has a focus (eg race or gender) it is expressed as racial prejudice or harassment, or sexual discrimination and harassment, and so on. When the bullying lacks a focus (or the bully is aware of the Sex Discrimination Act or the Race Relations Act), it comes out as pure bullying; this is an opportunity to understand the behaviours which underlie almost all reprehensible behavior. I believe bullying is the single most important social issue of today.

Bullying...
    is a form of abuse, and bullies - and unenlightened employers - often go to great lengths to keep their targets quiet, using threats of disciplinary action, dismissal, and gagging clauses. What bullies fear most is exposure of their inadequacy and being called publicly to account for their behavior and its consequences. This makes sense when you remember that the purpose of bullying is to hide inadequacy, and people who bully to hide their inadequacy are often incompetent.

The prosecution rests its case!

11. My first SSM was a ranting bully, nicknamed the 'Screaming Skull'. Came across as the lads best friend, first names etc etc, but he was a complete backstabber. He rifted me one night cos I didn't get out of the guard box quick enough to open the camp gates at stupid o'clock in the morning. He went out and came back about an hour later - same sketch. He was into blanket punishments, and fukkked the singlies over when ever he could. He got promoted to RSM and got posted - passed his LE CB and was waiting to take up his comission when, he was done for a fraudulent MMA claim. Apparently at his new Unit he had cruicified one of the clerks in the RHQ.
    Said clerk knew that the RSM was taking an MT vehicle at weekends to go home, and claiming MMA to boot. RSM went in one day to get his money, the clerk asked him to reconsider, RSM 'How dare you question my intergrity.....rant rant'. Clerk hands it to RAO - RSM gets courtmartialed and bust to Siggy. Promoted quickly back to Sgt, oh how we laughed heartily when we heard. CNUT.

12. Most bullies are dishonest and a bit .... odd. Always worth a phone call to the anonymous fraud line if you are being bullied, they are usually fiddling their claims or fiddling with kids...

13. Agreed Speedy, I've been out for 20 odd years now and I can still remember his name, the bl00dy awfulness of it all and the inability to do anything about it. Unrelenting, day after day, digs etc. Know it sounds like whining now but, even my ex wife remembers and suggests that it changed me so much that there was an element to it in our breakup. Unfortunately we where in a small unit and kept coming into contact virtually until the end of my service. It is definately a dark side to army life for those unfortunate enough to suffer

14. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Worse on Ops.......its why obnoxious people get shot with 5.56mm in the back of the head :) The Yanks, on the other hand, appear to need little provocation to roll a grenade into their officers mess tent

<< sumbitch.....my bootlace WAS done up.....eat this, asshole >>

15. Looks more like Charles Clarke than Ricky Gervais to me.