MOD/Navy: Pers allowed / not allowed to sell stories.

BBC just annnounced that the MOD was giving permission for the former hostages to sell their stories. Dangerous precedent?

Link

Thread title edited twice to reflect current UK Government policy / denial /etc.

Bloody ridiculous!
2 sodding weeks, not a scratch, fed, watered, cigs, new suits.
Hero's my arse!
Gobshites for surrendering IMO.
The Marine Captain should be sacked.

Somewhat undignified to say the least. I cannot think of an occasion when this has been allowed in the past.

If any of them choose to do so I would suggest that a large donation to a military charity may be in order…

Steve_L said:
Bloody ridiculous!
2 sodding weeks, not a scratch, fed, watered, cigs, new suits.
Hero's my arse!
Gobshites for surrendering IMO.
The Marine Captain should be sacked.
Yep.

20 grand or a career? The femmage would get far more, keep her in fags and headscarves for a bit I guess. It'll sell some Scums and Daily Fascists, but who is really that interested? There can hardly be any morbid fascination, as they all came out unscathed. Royal Navy fishing smack captured is hardly a page turner.

BTDT

Old-Salt
I see no reason why they should not be allowed to sell their stories. I do, however, believe that they should be required to leave the service first.

I agree - I can't see how they can sell their stories and then carry on in uniform.

BTDT said:
I see no reason why they should not be allowed to sell their stories. I do, however, believe that they should be required to leave the service first.
Agreed

I hope someone is taking the pee about this. How can they justify this - if thats the case then Iranians can take em back - here's ur pressie back dinnerjacket

What is the world coming to? Just read the story and agree with all above - the 'Big Brother' generation finally merge with the military. I've signed off and although it's with regret, if this is the future of the military, I'm glad I'm off.

Hmm, an interesting little story.

I imagine that the Government has decided that it has lost the media battle against Iran and thinks that allowing 15 bodies open access to the media, all with the same story, will have more of an impact on world opinion than managing it from the centre - which will always be tainted by accusations of spin!

I cannot think of any alternative reason.

Depending on the deals, could we see personnel queuing up to be arrested by the Iranians so that they could subsequently sell their story?

Litotes

Guys,
If we contrast this with the boys & girls fighting and losing their limbs and lives in Basra it makes the whole saga a joke!
Would an ambushed Warrior crew surrender meakly to an insurgent mob out-numbering them?
I think not!

Absurd.

U-n-l-e-s-s it serves some FCO/MoD agenda we can only guess at . . . . .

It will be interesting to see who sells their story and what they say. If either officer talks, then they should be asked to resign. Totally agreed with Litoles and Steve L - an insult to all who serve and put their lives on the line - shows the MOD's hypocritical nature - non-disclosure for UKSF but these jolly matlots will be on the couch with Richard & Judy - shocking!!!

IMHO, This story just feeds fuel to the whole feeling of a big cover up going on, as if to have to make sure they are all going off the same hymn sheet.

15 stories saying the same thing, someone is bound to make theirs more dramatic than the others, which can do nothing but good for the Govt etc!!

I think the point has been lost in the media fog, that whatever is said now with these captives safely back on home soil, will have a dramatic effect on the next lot that go Tehran side!

The Ministry of Defence said their experiences amounted to "exceptional circumstances" that allowed its usual ban on such payments to be lifted.
What about the last lot?

The personnel later said they were blindfolded, bound and held in isolation during the 13 days.
Yet to me they seemed, well clothed, fed and without 13 days of fresh air and light, looked amazingly well and high spirited throughout their ordeal. Not one of them held their head low, looked pale, tired, dehydrated or showed any form of harrasment. If nothing else, surely some of them would have gone down with Tehran Tummy! (hinting that there may have been a weight loss somewhere!)

In a job where sky news is constantly on in the background when on shift, you tend to notice these things!

Queens birthday honours later, to liven up the troops perhaps!!

I'd like to read stories about Lynx and Apache crews and their lives and missions in Iraq and Afghanistan, but my pals aren't allowed to write them!!