MOD/Navy: Pers allowed / not allowed to sell stories.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ABrighter2006, Apr 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC just annnounced that the MOD was giving permission for the former hostages to sell their stories. Dangerous precedent?

Thread title edited twice to reflect current UK Government policy / denial /etc.
  2. Bloody ridiculous!
    2 sodding weeks, not a scratch, fed, watered, cigs, new suits.
    Hero's my arse!
    Gobshites for surrendering IMO.
    The Marine Captain should be sacked.
  3. Somewhat undignified to say the least. I cannot think of an occasion when this has been allowed in the past.

If any of them choose to do so I would suggest that a large donation to a military charity may be in order…
  4. Yep.
  5. 20 grand or a career? The femmage would get far more, keep her in fags and headscarves for a bit I guess. It'll sell some Scums and Daily Fascists, but who is really that interested? There can hardly be any morbid fascination, as they all came out unscathed. Royal Navy fishing smack captured is hardly a page turner.
  6. I see no reason why they should not be allowed to sell their stories. I do, however, believe that they should be required to leave the service first.
  7. I agree - I can't see how they can sell their stories and then carry on in uniform.
  8. Agreed
  9. I hope someone is taking the pee about this. How can they justify this - if thats the case then Iranians can take em back - here's ur pressie back dinnerjacket
  10. What is the world coming to? Just read the story and agree with all above - the 'Big Brother' generation finally merge with the military. I've signed off and although it's with regret, if this is the future of the military, I'm glad I'm off.
  11. Hmm, an interesting little story.

I imagine that the Government has decided that it has lost the media battle against Iran and thinks that allowing 15 bodies open access to the media, all with the same story, will have more of an impact on world opinion than managing it from the centre - which will always be tainted by accusations of spin!

I cannot think of any alternative reason.

Depending on the deals, could we see personnel queuing up to be arrested by the Iranians so that they could subsequently sell their story?

12. MoD home goal once again
  13. Guys,
    If we contrast this with the boys & girls fighting and losing their limbs and lives in Basra it makes the whole saga a joke!
    Would an ambushed Warrior crew surrender meakly to an insurgent mob out-numbering them?
    I think not!
  14. MOD presumably holding onto the film rights though.
  15. Absurd.

U-n-l-e-s-s it serves some FCO/MoD agenda we can only guess at . . . . .