MoD may halt surge in Commonwealth recruits to army

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by armchair_jihad, Apr 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

lol too funny, most of the Commonwealth troops in question are probably more British than the Brits!!
  3. Nobody thinks it may be time to lift the bar on non-Commonwealth troops?

Royal Basra Militia? Queens Kabul Guards?

Said with tongue in cheek but, just possibly, an option to reduce the numbers of deployed UK (and Commonwealth) troops. They may even have a better handle on how to handle things wrt local customs and sensitivities. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that the British Army has recruited local levies.

Or would it be considered colonisation by stealth?
  4. More to the point, if we cap commonwealth soldiers, we will simply have even lower recruiting and even worse manning issues.
  5. If the Army do limit Commonwealth recruiting, how will they beat the Navy at Twickers? :D
  6. Yeah, we'd be screwed without our beloved ringers.

Though, having said that, I noticed that the Matelots have been getting in on the act in the last 2 years and have been busy recruiting from the famous sea faring nation of Fiji too. 8O

At this rate they may even win a match soon.
  7. Saw him in action recently, he flies. Won them the match too (only against the French Navy, but still :D ).
  8. As long as they don't win on the 3rd I'll be happy. :D
  9. so true, and the UK forces get the best of the commonwealth soldiers. 8)

i can hardly be a colony of one. :p
  10. I wonder why recruiting from the Commonwealth is being capped? Are the Home Office becoming fed up with adverse newspaper reports containing the words 'Hero' and 'Deportation' in the same sentence? Is it the financial cost to the defence vote relating to DOMCOL?

I would love to know what is behind this. I do not think it has anything to do with the Armed forces 'Britishness' being diluted. I think it probably has more to do with politics and money!
  11. I think it is purely political. As has been said we can't be seen to employing 20% of our strength from ""Soldier of Fortune".

I would also say that despite my high opinion of alot of the Figians I have worked with. People I have spoken to on the subject generally have a negative opinion of them and especially if they are in large numbers at sub unit level... I suppose I have just been lucky.
  12. So let me get this straight, the Army has a recruitment and retention crisis, and the best solution is to cap one historical and plentiful source of recruitment?
  13. When they are very obvious Brown People yes. People are already starting to make jokes about the Royal Figians North of the border and the Royal Logistics Figians so I think they're getting nervous.

As I often say... Equal Oppurtunities - My Arrse!

Shocking aint it. Lets face it though, the recruitment and retention issues won't be solved until pay and conditions are sorted and the covenant is fixed!

I'd rejoin if the wages were decent and the New pension was scrapped in favour of the old!
  14. Yes, that's right, in one!
  15. Exactly. My first thought when I read the title of this Thread was "And replace them with who?" :roll: