MOD Mangers and Staff to go on strike

The end of a cushy number for some is it? used to pi*s me off no end in places like JHQ how civvy's used to say "You cant speak to me like that im the equivelant of a brigadier"! They all got payed sh*t loads, enjoyed all the tax free benefits, many didnt even pay for quarters and yet unlike soldiers, 99% will never go anywhere remotely dangerous! As for the ones in the UK, well lets not even go there. Hopefully the MOD will streamline many of the cushy positions and save a fortune and in turn save enough money to buy a few more Mastiff's or Bulldog's.
Fcuk 'em off and out source the MoD to India.

You may not understand 'em but they work their arrses off.
eveyuk said:
F'in mangers, what have they ever done for us?
Doubtless the cows will be angry.
lsquared said:
Will anyone notice?
Oooooooooooh, I sooo wanted to post that!

Only I would have put "How will they tell?"
Ok guys time for a bit of perspective here.

The MOD pay award was due back in August, but has yet to be implemented. The deal proposed involved the majority of staff moving up one point on the pay scale (2.5%), which was drawn up in 2002 and is not updated for inflation. Additionally there are growing concerns about widespread privatisation in the MOD and the impact on delivery to front line services.

I don't agree with them going on strike, nor do I condone their actions. It is unlikely that 6000 people will walk out, the majority of them will not bother - they're quoting membership figures again. I'd suggest though that if the Armed Forces had to wait at least 7 months for the award of their pay rise, then there would be some seriously hacked off people out there.

Bottom line as a MOD CS and reservist is that the majority of MOD are on your side - I always make the point when I breif the forces that the guys in the field are my teams No1 priority. Plenty of CS are doing operational tours, plenty more do lots to help you out where possible. I know there are jobsworths out there, but the forces are hardly immune from that too.

Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
jim30 said:
I know there are jobsworths out there, but the forces are hardly immune from that too.
I don't think it very worthy to bring mention of the RAF Police into this thread. :threaten:
A bit perspective!! I'll give you perspective - I have never encountered such a bunch of oxygen thieves in my life. With one exception (POLAD in Iraq), I have never met a MOD civil servant who worked more than a 30 hour week. Maybe the government has actually worked out that these f@ckers are drawing a year's pay for a week's work. Get real.
Curious - in my normal job I and my team average a 45 - 50 hour week - in Iraq I averaged a 100 hour week and that was pretty average. Suggest you're talking out your arrse.
There is no point trying to sell the "good civil servant" line to garner support from soldiers - we've all met OLADs, Civ Sec and the DPA too many times to be convinced!
Not so sir. It may be that I have never had the privilege of working anywhere near your sort of CS. As it is, my comment stands. I would not begrudge the POLAD in Iraq a 100% pay rise. The majority of CS I have encountered, I begrudge the fact that they get paid at all. The problem with the CS is that no distinction is drawn and thus there is no incentive to do any work at all.
"Our members feel that the offer is an insult to loyal, dedicated staff, who have been working hard to maintain and improve support to the front line while facing massive changes in the size and shape of the MoD civil service."
Oh, so the troops fighting with gear given to them by the MoD (Or rather; not given), who do not have the luxury of going on strike, are expected to believe that the civil cretins are as loyal?

I have never seen a civvie give his life in distant lands for this country... compare that loyalty!
SO3Paperclips wrote:

With one exception (POLAD in Iraq), I have never met a MOD civil servant who worked more than a 30 hour week.
Being fair the ones I worked with in the Balkans were cracking fun and did some stupid hours. Mind you if I'd had the opportunity for double time (or whatever it was) for Saturdays and Sundays I would've too, and bought a house on my return (or been able to cover the massive bar bills run up by the Civil Serpents) as they did.

Instead I was in green & did it for love Country, honour & glory etc (or that's what the recruiting posters said).
" have never seen a civvie give his life in distant lands for this country... compare that loyalty!" - So basically you're saying that despite hundreds (if not thousands) of Civil Servants volunteering to serve in operational theatres, some of whom have ended up in some decidely risky situations - often on the streets alongside their forces counterparts, the fact that none of them have been killed means that they lack loyalty? You total cnut.

There seems to be some kind of misconception here about what power CS really have. Contrary to popular belief you don't come across cabals of CS's trying to work out the next best way to screw brave Tommy Atkins on the front line. The majority of them work either in support roles - doing admin, paying bills etc, or in some form of technical or policy role. The decisions on kit issue, the decisions on weapons procurement are usually taken by military personnel working as desk officers. Put this way - roughly half (if not more) of main building is military personnel.

As for the pay - yes CS get additional cash for going to an operational theatre - but why? Basically because unlike the army, the CS is a job and not a lifestyle. CS are paid to work 38 hours a week in an office environment, hence when they go to theatre their financial package reflects the additional hours being worked and the more hazardous nature of the employment. Forces personnel are paid 24/7 irregardless of where they are and what they're doing. IIRC the current CS package works out at an extra £1750pcm - a lump sum which replaces the old COLA and hardship payments and up to £1500pcm as a flat rate overtime payment (although this is dependent on grade). Yes this is more than junior toms get - but the guys deploying are usually C2 and C1 grades - (SO2 / SO1 in signing off powers, but not rank equivalency) and their usual salary is about £22k - £30k pa - so these extra payments mean they're still earning slightly less than their forces equivalent over a 6 month tour.

Bear in mind though that CS are not well paid when in normal posts- well over 50% of the MOD is on under £20k per year. The financial package theyget in theatre is often the only chance they'll have to earn enough to fund a deposit - it certainly was for me. I'm not saying tours are recruited on the sleazy promise of "do 6 months, get loads of dosh", but I'd be lying if it isn't a factor for many of the applicants.
Flakeshag you quoted
"I have never seen a civvie give his life in distant lands for this country... compare that loyalty"

You probably haven't though have you.
First of all you probably quoted in the heat of the moment (Ihave done that as well... ooooh the flak, I am scarred)

Google this lot and weep especially Szarbo and Pendlebury (not to diminish the others. RIP)

The women who were killed at Natzweiler were Andrée Borrel, Vera Leigh, Diane Rowden, and Sonia Olschanezky. Those executed at Dachau were Noor Inayat Khan, Eliane Plewman, Yolande Beekman, and Madeleine Damerment. At Ravensbrück, Denise Bloch, Lilian Rolfe, Violette Szabo and Cicely Lefort were executed.
Also JDS Pendlebury (Battle for Crete 1941)

Also check out the battles of Malta, Falklands etc and all the others through history.

Although I bet between us we could think of a few that should be sacrificed for the common good.

All the best