MoD looking at cap on foreigners in armed forces

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by oldbaldy, May 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

The Herald
  2. But presumably not proud enough to give them citizenship, eh Bob?
  3. Great idea! Because we're just HEAVING with potential recruits from the UK... :roll:

Morons. :evil:
  4. Would this have a bearing on someone like me, I'm hoping to get into the RM?
  5. One name springs to mind, that sums up why this is wrong.

Pvt Johnson Beharry VC.

Many Commonwealth citizens have a higher regard for British Values and Britishness than UK residents. Recruit more, I say.
  6. I'm glad to hear it.

We can't have all our Commonwealth soldiers running around bareheaded, it just wouldn't look right.

I'll get my coat....
  7. With a recession just around the corner I wouldn't be so sure. Perhaps they are preempting it?
  8. Burgger you beat me to it. It might be worth paying attention to as news if anybody remotely believed Ainsworth knew what the feck he was talking about - or could identify his arrse from his elbow.

As immigrants, these are EXACTLY the type of people we want here; ambitious, giving more than a passing feck about societal values and probably of more value to the country per capita than 10 chavs/chavettes ever will be and.........

Cease Loading, End of Rant!
  9. So the choice is A)Live on benefits, at least until a new Tesco opens in you're street and you can get a job stacking shelves or B)Get shot at and possible lose limbs or, indeed, you're life in some Sandy sh1thole?

Somehow, I don't forsee a massive rush to the recruiting office... :roll:
  10. I am not sure why this is even an issue. The report cites shadowy 'senior officers' expressing unease at the numbers of foreigners in the british army and concerns about the 'britishness' of the british army.

What do they mean? Or is this just made up nonsense / or the idle gossip of people with too much time on their hands?

If there are communication issues, then simply raise entry standards for foreigners in the british army. Say they need GCSE/ 'O' Level english at grade C or above to join. Problem solved.
  11. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Could well be that the "senior officer" is the equivalent of Flag Officer Car Parks (RN).

And cutting down the numbers of foreign recruits is a bad idea in my opinion. The army rugby team is one of the best amature teams worldwide thanks to having a number of Fijians available to be props. Those big scary buggers can be a front row by themselves.
  12. Personally speaking, it pisses me off that we have to recruit so many foreign and commonwealth, but there isnt any other alternative seeing as it doesnt seem to be viewed as a first choice career option for great number of young brits.

I think its mint!! 8O :D
  13. [​IMG]
  14. services to reflect British "norms and values".
    so we all sit in our accommodation, collect ASBOs and our benefits money and put on 50lbs?
  15. Where i work rumour is it will be capped at 15%. Tis true they are worried that we are looking more like a Commenwealth force that a British Army.