MoD Khukri Procurement

Discussion in 'Gurkhas' started by Detonator, Sep 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Namaste,

Can anyone tell me who supplies the MoD/Brigade of Gurkhas with their khukris?

Are there any markings that would indicate whether they are genuine or not? Also, are the lads issued two, one for dress and one for, well, not dress?

Cheers.

2. They are normally made in Dharan and purchased on mass every two years by the contracting officer at HQ British Gurhas Nepal in Kathmandu.
    They are subject to competitive tender and sample kukhri are received and subjected to a number of tests - wieght, shape, size, type of bone handle and a chopping test on a standard piece of teak carried out by Gurkha Major BGN and a selected number of soldiers. Comparisons are made with a standard kukhri retained for this purpose.

They have no markings placed on them in Nepal, they may be marked/stamped Regimentally I do not know.

3. khukurihouseonline.com used to do it, not sure if they still have the contract

4. The place I saw them being made didn't have any power let alone a website, but that was 15 years ago. Fascinating process involving a piece of English railway line, a very hot fire, bellows, a large angvil and two guys with sledge hammers. More tricky than "when you nd your head, I'll hit it!" but not far off. It goes from raw material to almost finished in about 30 minutes - all by hand.

5. Cheers chaps, interesting stuff.

I'd heard they tended to be made out of old truck leaf springs!