MoD jack again?

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Ventress, Dec 3, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

The father of Simon Jeans, a RLC soldiers killed in Split in 1996 is still fighting for justice from the Croatian Courts. Five local men have been jailed, but one faces a re-trial.

It was no suprise to see the MoD refused to give any financial support to the parents. They are financing their travel and interpreters etc, through local appeals in the local paper.

No suprises ther then.

2. good for retention ! NOT :roll:

3. Congratulations to Mr Terry Jeans on finally, as a result of his persistence, seeing one of his son's killers going to jail.

Pte Simon Jeans was a capable and well-liked member of the ARRC Sp Bn in Sarajevo during Op RESOLUTE, who died of head injuries inflicted by a gang of local thugs in Split.

Pompey News - Gosport father wins justice after 16-years as son's attacker is jailed

4. The MOD stopped funding trips for the father in 2000. They gave up and probably thought that all appeals were exhausted and weren't worth fighting any longer. But luckily, (well not so lucky for the thug who thought he had got away with it), Terry didn't give up and has pretty much lost everything in order to finally get justice.

Terry couldn't get financial support from agencies such as The Royal British Legion because, although Simon's wife had left him and run off with another man about 6 weeks before he died, they were still legally married and therefore any support that the RBL could contribute, would be to the wife who got everything anyway and hasn't lifted a finger to fight for justice.

This father has attended pretty much every hearing and court appearance alone and 2 days ago the local newspaper put me in contact with Terry. I have set up a group on facebook and all of us old people who worked with Jeansey back in the 90's are looking into a fund raiser. Not a fund raiser for Simon's memory, but a fund raiser to try and get a little something back for his dad who has lost everything fighting for this - his job, his home......... Even if we can raise enough to pay for a holiday for him as he hasn't had a break in over 16 years. The group was only set up 2 days ago so planning is in it's very early stages, but we are hoping the even will take place in October. If anyone is interested in coming along to this event and raising some money for a fantastic guy, then please post here and hopefully i will be able to figure out how to get back on and find your messages.

5. What a top bloke (the Father obviously).

Keep us posted on any further details, ie how to donate/help.

6. I am just waiting on some information back which I should receive next week and if all that turns out ok, then we will start planning and will incorparate the event with a get together with Terry as he is very keen to meet everyone, his army friends, work colleagues or just people who care and want to be a part of it.

7. "Terry couldn't get financial support from agencies such as The Royal British Legion because, although Simon's wife had left him and run off with another man about 6 weeks before he died, they were still legally married and therefore any support that the RBL could contribute, would be to the wife who got everything anyway and hasn't lifted a finger to fight for justice."

Something about that doesnt seem quite kosher.

8. Mariah, for what Terry has done for simon makes him an great guy. He shouldn't have had to fight for justice for his son by himself. To battle on for 16 years shows charactar. I am sorry that there is animosity between you, all families have their issues.

9. Are you for real?

10. The above notwithstanding - has the Corps Benevolence Fund been approached?

11. Queensman,

This is now a very long-going issue. I would be very surprised if the Corps funds (and most other sources of funding) have not already been tapped.

12. Thanks - I thought it probably had, but 'twas worth asking....

13. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

The wife, estranged or not is the next of kin. For TRBL to give assistance to the father would go against their Royal Charter & the same goes for most Service Benevolent Funds.

14. Mariah, firstly please do not refer to Simon's friends and colleagues as 'you people'. we're not your enemy and obviously don't know Simon's family situation. There are a lot of us who lost a really good friend when Simon died, so please don't make it sound like its 'us' against you. If there is a way for us to speak privately on here, I would be more then happy to do so. But i do really wish that you hadnt disclosed such personal information about my friend when your arguement is obviously with his father.

15. MFW, If you are serious, why are you telling us and not the police, or at the very least, the press.