MoD Issues Video Warnings that Careless Talk Costs Lives

From today's Telegraph:

The Ministry of Defence has issued "Careless talk costs lives"-style public information videos on YouTube, warning servicemen and women and their families of the security risks involved in using social networking websites.

In one, a mother learns from her son, an airman, that he is expecting a "VVIP" visit at his base. She writes on Facebook: "Mark is ok and enjoying his first week at FOB Jackson. Very excited by VVIP visit." Then the doorbell rings, and a figure in a balaclava, camouflage gear and crossed bandoliers comes in and drinks a cup of tea with her while looking at her son's baby photos. On-screen text warns: "It may not just be friends and family reading your status updates".

In another, two female sailors are seen disembarking. One posts on Twitter that they will be going to a local club, and then adds that she has been on a six-month tour on HMS Diamond. Once in the club, she checks in to Foursquare to give her location, before starting dancing. The same balaclava-clad figure is seen dancing with her, waving an AK-47 above his head in time to the music, while on-screen text says: "Is it just your mates who know where you've checked in?"

On its blog site, the MoD has issued an accompanying article about personal security online, saying "Social networking sites are great for keeping in touch with family and friends, and letting the world know what you’re up to", and emphasising that they "encourage the safe and responsible use of social networking sites." However, they also warn that there are people out there, ranging "from criminals looking for ways to con you or steal your identity, to those who may wish us harm", who will wish to misuse the information they post.

They say: "This is why you need to be aware of how much information there is online about you. Not just that which you’ve put there yourself, but also that which other people or organisations have put there. You need to be especially careful if you have identified yourself as being a member of the military or an MOD civilian.
"It can be simple to collate information from various sources in order to build up a picture of who a person is. Similarly it might only take one careless comment, or posting a picture without checking what’s in the background to put friends and colleagues at risk."

During the Second World War, propaganda campaigns on both sides of the Atlantic warned Allied personnel to be careful where they mentioned sensitive information. In Britain, the key slogan was "Careless talk costs lives"; famous cartoons by Fougasse showed British citizens talking quietly, not noticing caricatures of Hitler or Goebbels listening in. Another showed a soldier, an airman and a sailor at a party, clearly trying to impress a young woman, above the words "Keep mum - she's not so dumb!
In the US, the equivalent was "Loose lips sink ships"

[video=youtube;1UyWN0uREfk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyWN0uREfk[/video]​

I have to say that this campaign makes a pleasant change from previous attempts by the MoD to produce un-enforceable and unrealistic DINs.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Maybe ARRSE/RUM RATION/REAR PARTY could join in the campaign by making this thread a permanent feature in a prominent place on each site?

Mind you, having watched the video, and not having noticed MDN on the site lately, now I know what he has been up to :)

Maybe ARRSE/RUM RATION/REAR PARTY could join in the campaign by making this thread a permanent feature in a prominent place on each site?

Mind you, having watched the video, and not having noticed MDN on the site lately, now I know what he has been up to :)
It can't be MDN, the mother hasn't got a ball gag in and isn't being anally pleasured.

It can't be MDN, the mother hasn't got a ball gag in and isn't being anally pleasured.
She does seem to have a bit of a post-coital 'glow' about her though :)

Why the balaclava on the insurgent though? We've been fighting muslims for 10 years now so why not show a muslim. Oh that's right. That would be racist wouldn't it and the outrage bus would be overflowing.

Why the balaclava on the insurgent though? We've been fighting muslims for 10 years now so why not show a muslim. Oh that's right. That would be racist wouldn't it and the outrage bus would be overflowing.
You havnt been fighting Muslims, you have been fighting insurgents.

Because there are other threats? The Real IRA, for example.

The PSA with the two matelots at the club was confusing. Were they lezzers? :?

yeah let's divert a thread about PERSEC/OPSEC to another thread about muslims.

haven't had one of those for a while.

We've been fighting Muslims you dick. Unless the Iraqi and Afghan/Paki insurgents have switched to Christianity or become Mormons or Jehova's Witnesses. Have they?
"Sir, there's a couple of Jehovah's Insurgents out front, they want to know if your interested in discussing Jihad?"

"Tell them I'm busy"

"Terribly sorry, would you mind coming back another day, and make sure you close the ****ing gate this time"

P

pp0470

We've been fighting Muslims you dick. Unless the Iraqi and Afghan/Paki insurgents have switched to Christianity or become Mormons or Jehova's Witnesses. Have they?
Have we been fighting them because they are Muslims or because they are insurgents?

Because they are insurgents. Your 'but they were muslims boss' might stray a little from the party line.

Great campaign - balaclava's because they are anonymous and could be anyone underneath maybe?

Who carried out the last fatal attack on a UK base? And no, it wasn't the pizza delivery guy.

A

armadillo

I noticed on the site a reply to someone regarding PERSEC and OPSEC and the poor guy was flamed, he was only trying to do the OP a favor. We should be self policing a lot more, my ex before I met Mrs A was a Int Analysis and years before facebook she explain how an intelligence picture is made up from people letting slip the most banal of comments, proved she was right after all. Great adverts btw glad to see something sensible being done about it.

FFS the Insurgents also are killing Muslims, because the last I heard the ANA and Civilians are Muslims too, and they have been killed more in number than any Nato Nation.I was just pointing out the way you wrote the comment that could look abit misleading.I did not intend to cause offence but if you didnt know, to define a Muslim can be difficult, as Iraqi Muslims probably follow a different sect, than for instance a Muslim from Afghanistan.

Same can be said about Ireland, were you fighting the Irish or Christains?

I noticed on the site a reply to someone regarding PERSEC and OPSEC and the poor guy was flamed, he was only trying to do the OP a favor. We should be self policing a lot more, my ex before I met Mrs A was a Int Analysis and years before facebook she explain how an intelligence picture is made up from people letting slip the most banal of comments, proved she was right after all. Great adverts btw glad to see something sensible being done about it.
We had an insightful OPSec brief whilst on OPTAG, makes you stop and think, then I noticed on my FB a mate had just asked when I was off to " the Stan"! and he's forces as well.....