MOD invoice for the Iranian Embassy Siege.

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
Bear in mind, this is the age of the typewriter and the typing pool. The Civil Service used to be quite tolerant of minor errors, because the alternative would be to send it back to be retyped, which would take time. If it was going to a Minister, or out, to a Parliamentarian or member of the public, it would be appropriate to make manuscript amendments; this showed that you had bothered to proof read it and had sufficient pride and professionalism to spot and correct errors. You would only send it back to be retyped if there was a whole slew of mistakes, or significant extra language needed to be added in as an afterthought. The ladies of the typing pool could get quite shirty if too much was sent back for insufficient reason, and they had ways of punishing even the most gilded senior...

Note also that the letter is properly addressed to the recipient's surname, not his Christian name!
Not in contract’s branches. Tipex was a major expenditure item and contracts were forever being sent back to the typing pool for correction.
Thank F I never worked on a complex ship or fast jet one!

Slime

LE
No idea if it’s genuine, but the SAS had to buy extra kit once in London that they hadn’t brought with them. A notable purchase was extra climbing ropes. Notable as the ropes bought in London caused issues during the rescue.

No idea if it’s genuine, but the SAS had to buy extra kit once in London that they hadn’t brought with them. A notable purchase was extra climbing ropes. Notable as the ropes bought in London caused issues during the rescue.
Climbing ropes, not abseil ropes, would definitely cause problems.

Cromarty

War Hero

This is where people get confused. I didn't get tangled in the rope going down. You see, it was time for a brew so i stopped and got the hexi going. But i must have dropped one of the cubes and set fire to the place.

That's why so many were on the balcony, it was a biscuit resupply party.

If the boss had just waited 15 minutes it would have been fine.

Slime

LE
Very true, and I knew I was being lazy and imprecise when I typed the post, but couldn’t remember if they did buy specific climbing or abseiling kit.
Whatever they did buy wasn’t the exact stuff they wanted, hence the issues :)

Re returning the money for Shir 1:- Not that I know. As I wrote on another thread, the fellow who had the lead on that case died earlier this year, aged 75.
I had been a few years since I met him but he was still doing a day or 2 a month minding the fort. Unless you know different, because it would be nice to see it put to bed before I retire.

If I remember rightly the cash is in some form of bond

HMG has agreed to the refund and the money is lodged somewhere safely but sanctions (or some such) prevent it actually being paid to Iran

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
If I remember rightly the cash is in some form of bond

HMG has agreed to the refund and the money is lodged somewhere safely but sanctions (or some such) prevent it actually being paid to Iran
My failing memory says the money has been in escrow accounts, accruing interest (because we will owe the Iranian’s interest on their money) and had already been there for a long time in 1990.
I can’t remember the details why we can’t return the Shah’s money to the Mullah’s - maybe they made off with BP’s assets without compensation, or something?

JasonArgo

Clanker
My failing memory says the money has been in escrow accounts, accruing interest (because we will owe the Iranian’s interest on their money) and had already been there for a long time in 1990.
I can’t remember the details why we can’t return the Shah’s money to the Mullah’s - maybe they made off with BP’s assets without compensation, or something?

The UK government has acknowledged the debt it owes for not delivering the tanks.
But the USA will not allow the UK to pay the debt, as the USA has sanctions on Iran.

I think there is also the BP assets. That would be owed to the UK government, as I think the Iranians seized the assets before BP was privatised.

RTU'd

War Hero
I was 567th reserve on the day.
Ended up peeling spuds on another balcony with two toes tony & 3 finger fred.
Made worse knowing when the ACC cooked them they were going to burn them, again.

Didn't the UK government pay compensation to Iran for the damage done to their embassy as a result of the siege?
There are precedents under International Law for compensation being paid. The UK, as the Receiving State, is bound by treaty to protect diplomatic missions and their accredited staff.

chimera

LE

philc

LE
Meanwhile, on another balcony:

You do know this was an Israeli photographer and is a Zionist plot to bring down the whole Middle East.

Oh and 4th man was Avi on loan from Mossad that day, not the first Jew to **** up Iran or the last.

Not really, you can abseil on dynamic ropes fine. More concerned about core damage to rope giving it a shorter life.

There are precedents under International Law for compensation being paid. The UK, as the Receiving State, is bound by treaty to protect diplomatic missions and their accredited staff.
You mean the same treaty the Iranians abided with when they trashed our Embassy in 1979 as the 'little satan.' Uncle Sam being the 'big satan.' Hope HMG said that 'we have the cheque made out, we will hand it over when we receive yours.'

Latest Threads