MoD IGS account fun police strike.

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by General Melchett, Nov 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Recently had an email circular about the use of ebay via MoD IGS - Not to be used to bid on items, put up items for sale and the like. Not that anyone would actually do that.

It appears that ebay is now a BLOCKED site.

Bah Humbug to the fun police. :(

2. I would love to see the logic behind that. I suspect power trip, personal prejudice, misguided enthusiasm and dorks can be arranged into a single sentence.

3. Noted. An absolute pain in the arse, not sure what they aim to achieve. On the upside it will cut down some civil servants' lunch breaks to only two hours :roll:

4. This might be as a result of the recent mail crash that affected a major site. In the subsequent investigation, they established that a very high percentage of emails were to and from ebay, Hotmail etc.

So they banned it all (plus all the spam from China, Japan, Taiwan, America....doh!) whilst they sorted out the problem.

They also binned something like 300,000 emails!

Litotes

5. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Maybe Litotes, although hotmail and other email access was already blocked. Probably done to prevent the IGS from being used for personal gain.

6. I can understand that, General, and it will stop me wasting my time writing complete and utter ARRSE! :D

Litotes

7. Don't doubt the assumption but if this made sense E Bay would be out of business tomorrow.

Spam is a huge issue at the moment about 90% of all E Mail but it doesn't follow that banning a web site will reduce E Mail. Yes I concede that it will cut some.

8. How do the stores police trawl eGay for entrepreneuring storemen now?

9. Its not just ebay. All my World of Warcraft links are now blocked, including my guild site. I got the feeling they had been trawling my history files and favourites :D

10. All they have done is restrict access to the site during office hours, for those users who access it via IGS, e.g. DII users, in accordance with the AUP.

Basically, the MOD doesn't allow staffs, civilian or service, to use publically-funded services for personal gain.

Don't see what the problem is...

11. My Bold,

How will this affect our "Special" relationship with the US of A?

Are American exchange officers now "Persona non grata?"

12. From 1830 to 0630 we can use Ebay at my unit, dont know if thats MOD wide or just here.