MoD hoped psychics could find enemy

Daily Telegraph
Link
The Ministry of Defence spent £18,000 on experiments to discover if psychic powers existed and whether they could put to military use, it was revealed yesterday.

Subjects were blindfolded and asked if they could "see" the contents of sealed brown envelopes containings pictures of random objects and public figures.

Defence experts tried to recruit 12 psychics who advertised their abilities on the internet, but when they refused they were forced to use "novice" volunteers. Commercial researchers were contracted at a cost of £18,000 to test if psychic ability existed, according to a classified report released under the Freedom of Information Act.
advertisement

More than a quarter – 28 per cent – of those tested managed a close guess at the contents of the envelopes, which included pictures of a knife, Mother Teresa and an "Asian individual". But most subjects were hopelessly off the mark. One fell asleep while he tried to focus on the envelope's contents.

A former Ministry of Defence employee who received a copy of the report has claimed that the timing of the study suggests security services wanted to "remotely view" hidden weapons caches in Iraq and find Osama bin Laden.

Nick Pope, who ran the MoD UFO research programme and worked at the ministry for 21 years, said: "It can only be speculation, but you don't employ that kind of time and effort to find money down the back of the sofa.

"You go to this trouble for high-value assets. We must be talking about bin Laden and weapons of mass destruction."
If it was true, it would have been on the history channel by now.

PassingBells said:
It's no longer "actions on", it's now "actions before"

Has anyone foreseen the enemy?

PB
The meaning of the GRIT acronym has also changed.

Guess
Range
Indication &
Target

(Of course, the American's have been using this system for some time.)

There used to be a NAAFI investigation branch bloke who claimed he could detect aura around people. The colour of this aura indicated their status - friendly, unfriendly, crook, goodie etc. This is very simplistic explanation but I and a number of other sybill agreed that he did have some way of detecting personality etc that we could not explain other than his claim re aura. I suppose if you go for that, it is not too big a leap to detecting an enemy. I know that when I look at B.Liar I can detect a cnut.

Is this a WAH?

Random_Task said:
Daily Telegraph
Link
The Ministry of Defence spent £18,000 on experiments to discover if psychic powers existed and whether they could put to military use, it was revealed yesterday.

Subjects were blindfolded and asked if they could "see" the contents of sealed brown envelopes containings pictures of random objects and public figures.

Defence experts tried to recruit 12 psychics who advertised their abilities on the internet, but when they refused they were forced to use "novice" volunteers. Commercial researchers were contracted at a cost of £18,000 to test if psychic ability existed, according to a classified report released under the Freedom of Information Act.advertisement

More than a quarter – 28 per cent – of those tested managed a close guess at the contents of the envelopes, which included pictures of a knife, Mother Teresa and an "Asian individual". But most subjects were hopelessly off the mark. One fell asleep while he tried to focus on the envelope's contents.

A former Ministry of Defence employee who received a copy of the report has claimed that the timing of the study suggests security services wanted to "remotely view" hidden weapons caches in Iraq and find Osama bin Laden.

Nick Pope, who ran the MoD UFO research programme and worked at the ministry for 21 years, said: "It can only be speculation, but you don't employ that kind of time and effort to find money down the back of the sofa.
"You go to this trouble for high-value assets. We must be talking about bin Laden and weapons of mass destruction."
Au contraire, the MOD spends this sort of money on changing the design of hand-towels in the ladies loos at Main Building.

Comfy office chair anyone?

There have been various books written over the years about remote viewing. The CIA and Stanford Research Institute spent about 20 years researching it from the early 70's onwards and most of the books and websites on this topic focus around this era. They managed to spend over $30 million (some say much more) on this so were not taking it lightly. Some detailed findings apparently remain classified, although over 90% has now been released. What has come out from those who took part is that there are definately some key individuals that that they found to be highly reliable in their abilities to 'see' things occurring that are in different places often thousands of miles away. However, the critics say that the general 15% success rate was not high enough, while statisticans view the 15% as being statistically significant so there is still controversy. From what I recall while it couldn't be taught, those that did have the ability could be made to improve with certain exercises. I guess the MOD thought they might have a bash at it.

That'll be 2 PARA, then.

Oh, Psych-ics, sorry...

maybe give them another £23000 AND THEY CAN MAGIC UP FRES :pissedoff: