MOD have lost over 1000 laptops in 6 years...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...-departments-losing-a-computer-every-day.html

Government officials are losing computers at a rate of more than one every day, it has emerged.

By Jon Swaine
Last Updated: 7:52AM GMT 29 Dec 2008

More than 2,800 computers belonging to Whitehall departments have been mislaid or stolen since 2002, the equivalent of more than seven per week, new figures disclosed. The total included 1,774 laptops and 1,035 desktop systems.

The figures also showed that 676 mobile phones have been lost or stolen over the past seven years. Meanwhile, 202 hard drives and 195 memory sticks also went missing.

The Ministry of Defence were the most careless with its computers, the figures showed. About three computers were stolen every week from the department, including more than 1,000 laptops and 164 desktop systems.

The Department for Work and Pensions was also shown to have lost almost 1,100 computers.
a laptop lost or stolen every two days? that's quite a lot...

CRmeansCeilingReached said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/labour/4013138/Government-departments-losing-a-computer-every-day.html

Government officials are losing computers at a rate of more than one every day, it has emerged.

By Jon Swaine

More than 2,800 computers belonging to Whitehall departments have been mislaid or stolen since 2002, the equivalent of more than seven per week, new figures disclosed. The total included 1,774 laptops and 1,035 desktop systems.

The figures also showed that 676 mobile phones have been lost or stolen over the past seven years. Meanwhile, 202 hard drives and 195 memory sticks also went missing.

The Ministry of Defence were the most careless with its computers, the figures showed. About three computers were stolen every week from the department, including more than 1,000 laptops and 164 desktop systems.

The Department for Work and Pensions was also shown to have lost almost 1,100 computers.
Looking at the math its 1 or more per day ie 7 per week; 7 days in a week

Remembers two laptops being lifted out of a classroom, :oops: :oops:
Mind you the workies were in doing all the paintwork on the windows and doors :?

So no one considered putting valuable items away then? Would you have left a pile of cash out too?

I trust that where the loss was due to irresponsibility the person concerned was billed for a new one...

G

Goku

MOD take some advice…

Stolen laptops can be traced and recovered.
Hard disks can be remotely wiped.

Case Study – William Penn University
“We had a real problem with laptops not being returned to the College after students withdrew from their programs without graduating. Our investment in ComputraceComplete® is helping pay for itself by the incentive provided by the remote Data Delete function,” says Curtis Gomes, IT Supervisor, CWA, William Penn University. “We can perform any number of reports and operations remotely with ComputraceComplete, from deleting the My Documents folder to removing the operating system, which effectively disables the computer. We’ve only had to do this a few times, however, because word got out pretty quickly that we could do this, and now this particular problem has all but disappeared.”
http://www.absolute.com/laptop-security-solutions.asp

Sounds like a G1 / Crime Prevention matter to me.

Don't know why you are posting it here?

I'd hazard a guess that a lot of these are actually laptops that have been thrown out without being written off the books, when DII(F) came in with the new laptops a lot of the older laptops just went away into cupboads or to be wiped and destroyed.

Argee2007 said:
I'd hazard a guess that a lot of these are actually laptops that have been thrown out without being written off the books, when DII(F) came in with the new laptops a lot of the older laptops just went away into cupboads or to be wiped and destroyed.
I remember several laptops being reported as missing/stolen from my last place...turned up in a store cupboard a few months later :roll:

BIPOLAR77 said:
CRmeansCeilingReached said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/labour/4013138/Government-departments-losing-a-computer-every-day.html

By Jon Swaine

Looking at the math its 1 or more per day ie 7 per week; 7 days in a week
sorry to cause confusion, was referring to the title of the thread. 1000 laptops lost by MOD in 6 yrs (2190 days) = 1 every 2.19 days.

subby, check your PMs for the answer. i know these newfangled computer things weren't invented when you got out ;)

kes1 said:
Argee2007 said:
I remember several laptops being reported as missing/stolen from my last place...turned up in a store cupboard a few months later :roll:

Yeah, but it was the store cupboad in your house :lol:

We've still got a cupboad full of old laptops, nobody seems to want to throw laptops away so they tend to end up in a cupboard, unfortunately the minute the person who put them there leaves they are then 'missing'.

Argee2007 said:
kes1 said:
Argee2007 said:

Yeah, but it was the store cupboad in your house :lol:
They didn't trust me with laptops after the first two broke :oops:

Argee2007 said:
We've still got a cupboad full of old laptops, nobody seems to want to throw laptops away so they tend to end up in a cupboard, unfortunately the minute the person who put them there leaves they are then 'missing'.
I would imagine that the vast majority of those 1000 missing laptops are lying in cupboards, been handed over to other people without paperwork signing them over etc etc...rather than actually having been lost.

Yep, they are probably all in cupboards, laptops especially as they are seen as valuable for things like courses etc.

Desktops? What´s the betting they are now fulfilling other roles? BFG database in the BFG office? Stand alone in the Garages.

We aren´t called the borrowers for nothing!!!

Similar idea to the one above re tracking. We need to sort out our assett tracking capabilites, that and bill people the FULL amount for neglient losses.

Wouldn´t cost that much to have ALL desktops and laptops (not individually signed for) attached to the desks-walls. With only the "Computer manager" able to disconnect.

subbsonic said:
Sounds like a G1 / Crime Prevention matter to me.

Don't know why you are posting it here?
There will always be both G1 and G2 interest in these thefts. You will find in nearly every case that the theft or losses of these laptops are due to non-adherance to the Sy policy laid down in JSP 440 and unit SOPs etc. In cases where the items concerned contain PM material it does become a Sy issue for investigation for the MI.

This was always a problem and seems it still is. Until those who 'lose' them, usually (in my, obviously limited, experience) SO3 and above in the main, are brought to book ie pay for the loss of a laptop 'puter worth usually a grand plus rather than just say 'Never mind', then it'll keep happening. I wonder how many of these 'stolen' and 'lost' computers are still in said recipeints' possession or 'hiding'. If nothing is perceived as punishment except 'Oh well, shit happens. Never mind.' it will contiue. Made this point quite a lot in Germany and UK and commented quite forcibly in ASRs but hey, what do I know?

T

Tremaine

"Britain must rethink plans for a database holding details of every email, mobile phone and internet visit, Europe's human rights commissioner has said in an outspoken attack on the growth of surveillance societies. Thomas Hammarberg said that UK proposals for sweeping powers to collect and store data will increase the risk of the "violation of an individual's privacy".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uks-database-plan-condemned-by-europe-1218246.html

If they don't lose it all first, of course.

Tremaine said:
"Britain must rethink plans for a database holding details of every email, mobile phone and internet visit,
I am so going to prison 8O