MoD funding shortfall/ABC 17

Totally agree - the loss of goodwill from MOD CS who are totally fucked off with the way they are being treated is astounding. You have taken a stunningly loyal workforce, destroyed morale and made them feel like the woes of the military are purely due to the CS. I have never seen things so bad as they are now

It's OK, Land has come up with a cunning financial offset plan, it wants to offset costs for all the stuff it provides to the other two services, especially Dark Blue, against their respective budgets. Cue hoots of laughter from the light and dark blue financial head sheds.
I actual struggle to think of things LAND vice JFC provide us. We already pay for 29 and 24.

Hence the hoots of laughter.
To be fair, we had to prove to Centre why we couldn't pull any non-FLEET liability so as to solve our manning crisis. Including everything in JHC...

To be fair, we had to prove to Centre why we couldn't pull any non-FLEET liability so as to solve our manning crisis. Including everything in JHC...

It's smacks of the bright ideas club trying to come up with a way to balance their costs rather than actually work out what they need, what they can afford and what needs to be cut.

Totally agree - the loss of goodwill from MOD CS who are totally fucked off with the way they are being treated is astounding. You have taken a stunningly loyal workforce, destroyed morale and made them feel like the woes of the military are purely due to the CS. I have never seen things so bad as they are now
I can echo that sentiment for many of the civvy contractors.
Many of the CS MOD civvies are totally depressed along with a goodly number of external contractors like myself.
A lot of it is to do with "managing a declining estate" where essential stuff is not getting done whilst vanity projects are prioritised. So we will repaint the flagpole while the roof is leaking in the classroom block.

No details due to PERSEC (and it's my job)

I can echo that sentiment for many of the civvy contractors.
Many of the CS MOD civvies are totally depressed along with a goodly number of external contractors like myself.
A lot of it is to do with "managing a declining estate" where essential stuff is not getting done whilst vanity projects are prioritised. So we will repaint the flagpole while the roof is leaking in the classroom block.

No details due to PERSEC (and it's my job)

So it was you that repainted the anchor outside NCHQ ?

Article in JDW this week, noting that the SDSR15 CS manpower reduction plan has not only failed, but failed biblically. The reduction of 15000 heads has not been achieved. Indeed, there has been a small increase, which means the £9.5Bn savings predicated on that reduction will have to be found elsewhere.

Now personally, I think the CS reduction was half-witted populism based on a "MoD pen-pushers dining high on the hog while stitching up Our Boys" meme that bears little - if any - resemblance to reality. But it does not bode well for a budget that is already stretched - something which will not be obscured however many times the mantra "increasing defence budget/£178Bn Equipment Plan" is parroted by Fallon and the half-witted Harriet.
And yet still under recruited????

Then, along came 'Transformation' to further destroy any remaining goodwill and morale among the DE&S MoD Civ Servants :razz:

I'm not totally demoralised with being in MoD CS and am quite enjoying my own current dept (outside DE&S) but I know a fair few people who are getting ready to jump ship as DE&S becomes more like BAe/Babcock than BAe/Babcock :boogie:

Then, along came 'Transformation' to further destroy any remaining goodwill and morale among the DE&S MoD Civ Servants :razz:

I'm not totally demoralised with being in MoD CS and am quite enjoying my own current dept (outside DE&S) but I know a fair few people who are getting ready to jump ship as DE&S becomes more like BAe/Babcock than BAe/Babcock :boogie:
It's OK Grim, apparently the CS are 'valued' by the seniors.

When I hear stuff like that, it generally means something else is going to get 'modernised' or made 'fairer'.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

When I hear stuff like that, it generally means something else is going to get 'modernised' or made 'fairer'.

"Creating an organisation that is more fit for purpose and provides value for money and quality to the taxpayer" was the most voiced line at a recent briefing..........

Smelt like upcoming DE&S privatisation to me. Especially since the SDA stood up separately with all the sensitive bits under its care.

As in 'congratulations on your promotion, and to make things 'modernised and fairer and continue to compete with industry you get to work an extra hour a week and lose a day and a halfs annual leave'?

Strangely whenever seniors are asked which companies reduce annual leave for staff on promotion, no one ever answers...

Presumably this is why you are leaving...

As in 'congratulations on your promotion, and to make things 'modernised and fairer and continue to compete with industry you get to work an extra hour a week and lose a day and a halfs annual leave'?

Strangely whenever seniors are asked which companies reduce annual leave for staff on promotion, no one ever answers...
Indeed. It's strange how it goes quite when people ask about company cars, private healthcare and the chance for proper performance related pay/ bonuses. I'm also looking forward for a company credit card to be put behind the bar next time my team has after work drinks........what's that.........we only get the crap bits of a good modern employer......ah well

Presumably this is why you are leaving...
One of the reasons why several of my former colleagues have gone into industry. It seems the pay divide was there, its just that the dead hand of crap morale has given people a push to jump.

I'm planning my exit for 3 years time. I'd go sooner if it wern't for the quals I'm due and the cv-boosting project I'm currently assigned to

Last edited:
One of the reasons why several of my former colleagues have gone into industry. It seems the pay divide was there, its just that the dead hand of crap morale has given people a push to jump.

I'm planning my exit for 3 years time. I'd go sooner if it wern't for the quals I'm due and the cv-boosting project I'm currently assigned to

Not easy is it? I could go and get myself snapped up by Babcock or a multitude of other private sector defence firms... yet the quals the next few years will bring me are rather useful indeed.

Can they provide the levels of diet and sleep destroying stress and a suitably toxic blame and backstabbing culture us MoD CS' need though? ;-)

Not easy is it? I could go and get myself snapped up by Babcock or a multitude of other private sector defence firms... yet the quals the next few years will bring me are rather useful indeed.

Can they provide the levels of diet and sleep destroying stress and a suitably toxic blame and backstabbing culture us MoD CS' need though? ;-)
Probably not grim, whatever company you join, it won't be a 'brilliant' civil service

Last edited:

Dont worry, there is plenty of that in industry too. And if it's any consolation the overall renumeration package at many companies is going the same way, plus there is a much bigger chance of being made redundant. Tiny violins etc.