MOD Forking Out Rent for Unoccupied Quarters

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DigitalGeek, Dec 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

I wish I had invested in Annington Homes a few years back. Talk about a self licking ice cream? Let's sell off property to a "private" enterprise, then rent it back off them. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater. :x
  2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

To leave them empty. You couldn't make it up.
    I suppose they are no good for asylum seeks as they are not up to standard!
  3. How sad I feel agreeing with you on that point. :(
  4. Anyone actually know where these 20% of unoccupied places are? Everywhere I've been posted to always seems to be full to the gills.
  5. We have a few empty at Pirbright all boarded up and used by the MOD Plod and Surrey const for their dog trg!!! The other month they found some squatters in there, removing all the copper,lead etc etc and flogging it. Now the best bit is MOD plod cannot touch them local bobbies neither down to council they say not our problem, DHE! STUMPED!! I cannot believe it. the said Poles ,latvians,lithuanians ,Ukrainians et al are all gettin up in the morning and coming to work on feckin camp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whats all this about.
  6. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

A couple of years ago Bulford certainly had a whole row unoccupied and I can see why since they were looked like they should have been condemned.

I should think that a fair proportion are empty for that very reason.

It's probably a combination of no money to repair them and MHS's intractability.

Not having a MQ available does not mean that they do not exist, just that ones fit for habitation even by long suffering soldiers are not available.
  7. I remember being told that there was no SFA available in Tidworth, when I pointed out that there were many empty houses on the patch the excuse given was 'they are reserved for a regiment coming in 18 months time'.
    Houses in Shipton Bellend stayed empty as there were no spare parts for the outdated heating systems and apparently there was no money to have the heating replaced.
    MOD wastes money, hardly news anymore is it?
  8. Over 100 empty in Colchester (no one wants to live in them) but would you beleive DE actually threatened us with legal action t kick us out when entitlement to MQ ended. Now tax payer has to foot the bill for heating through the winter as well as not getting rent oh and it will most likely get all the windows smashed as well.