MoD forced to pay for Des Brownes part-time Scottish job

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ukdaytona, Dec 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 'Part-time' Defence Secretary Des Browne's salary is paid for entirely by the Ministry of Defence even though he is also Scottish Secretary, it has emerged.

The Conservatives have demanded the Scotland Office pay part of his wages so that the full cost does not fall on the cash-strapped armed forces.

It comes after five former Army chiefs lined up to condemn the Prime Minister for 'insulting' the forces by cutting the defence budget and for giving Mr Browne two jobs.

In the Commons today, Tory leader David Cameron called on Gordon Brown to appoint a "full-time Defence Secretary", quoting a series of ex-defence chiefs who criticised the combination of the post with Scotland Secretary.
  2. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

An it now comes to pass that this was another Tory idea piched by Labour. However this time they are not shouting about it.
  3. It was a 2001 manifesto proposal from the Tories, but at the time we weren't involved in Iraq or Afghanistan!
  4. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Not sure were your coming from on this but how can someone who is responsable for a billion pound budget and several thousand folk can do it on a part time bases.

If Leader of the House is full time then boss of the MOD is.
  5. Dare I say it, but I think that the PM may have slightly 'misled the house' over the issue of combining the post of Scottish Secretary; the media seem to be implying that Brown hoped people would infer that they proposed amalgamating Sec of State for Defence with Scotland - which they certainly didn't.

If you look at: you'll see

(a) that the idea that separate cabinet posts for the devolved nations couldn't be justified came from a think tank, not the Tories

(b) that the Tories suggested combining the role of Sec of State for Wales with an unspecified cabinet position (in the story - see below for their idea that this would be with the Scottish Secretary)

and (c) that it wasn't only the Tories who thought about doing this:

In 2001, Hague (when Tory leader) proposed that the Welsh and Scottish Secretaries should be folded into one ministerial post - not that a government should give one minister two jobs.

Furthermore, the creation of the Department for Constitutional Affairs saw the incorporation of the Welsh and Scottish Offices into one department, but Blair kept the two separate ministerial roles - so there were three cabinet ministers for one department.

Brown's 'it was all the Tories' idea and that's why Swiss Des has two jobs' is, quite simply, spin of the first order, and someone in the media really ought to have spotted this...
  6. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

I'll never watch PMQ's again. Fancy telling porkies in the House :?
  7. I stopped watching PMQs because of Gordon's peculiar 'I'm about to lick a window' mouth movement he does when lying.

He does an awful lot of that mouth movement....
  8. 'Part-time' Defence Secretary Des Browne's salary is paid for entirely by the Ministry of Defence even though he is also Scottish Secretary, it has emerged.

Isn't everything in Scotland paid for by others!!
  9. The mouth movements he makes when attempting to breath are because the boffins who made the robot couldn't quite manage human-like expressions. :pirat: He dosn't lie - he just isn't programmed to tell the truth.

Perhaps we could ship him off to Belgium as they need a new PM and Des seems pretty good at double/triple hatting! :twisted: Maybe they could pay him with chocolate coins. If we are lucky he will take the rest of the Cabinet with him :)
  11. What I dont understand is which of his two jobs is part time?

If it is Scotland then that is surely insulting our Celtic brethen.

If Labour consider Def Min as part time then they really do want introducing to several large fir trees!
  12. Labour are made up of swine, they do not care less about the Forces, for the MOD to pay Browns part time job is a disgrace, we are in Great Danger with them in Control, they are Arrogant, Useless, and Traitors, I am not elouquent enough to express my feelings of outrage. A Soldier has died today, they are not fit to wipe his or any other Servicemans boots.
  13. Outstanding, apparently both are considered to be part time, but the idea of both departments paying 50% of the salary was seemingly too complex.

So not only will you be introducing NA to the fir trees, but there's a queue of Scots behind you who also want a go...
  14. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

As a Scot and a part-time Soldier I am doubly insulted. Mind you I do wonder why we need a Minister of State for Scotland - if this pillock can do it part time it can't be a very important or difficult job.

Unfortunately the job of MoD is important and difficult and it shows that the man i/c was not up to it when it had his undivided attention.

I'm afraid it also shows just how well regarded we are by my other fellow cuntryman the PM.
  15. Apologies, my point should have been that it was a stupid idea in 2001, current events make it an extremely stupid idea.