MoD embarrassed by lewd comments in internet chatroom

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Blogg, Mar 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Who are these cads and bounders! Oh, it is just ARRSE.......

http://www.personneltoday.com/Articles/2007/03/06/39529/ministry-of-defence-embarrassed-by-lewd-comments-in-internet.html

Ministry of Defence embarrassed by lewd comments in internet chatroom

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has distanced itself from lewd comments on an internet forum for members of the Armed Forces.

The MoD insisted that graphic discussions on the British Army Rumour Service (ARRSE) website last week about how to treat women at training barracks were not its responsibility.

Under the heading 'Bringing ladies into barracks', one member wrote on the forum: "After a club on Friday night when I am absolutely plastered, do I take my nice lady friend round the back of the club or is it possible to bring her back to camp?"

Replies warned that "the crime is to get caught" and suggested bribing the guard on duty to turn a blind eye. One of the more printable comments read: "If you've got the balls, try to smuggle her in. Do the deed then kick her out without a word or a taxi, and preferably don't tell her where the main gate is."

Last month, the MoD reported to the Equal Opportunities Commission as part of a three-year plan to combat sexual harassment. In December, the Commons Defence Committee warned that sexual harassment had reached "alarming levels".

An MoD spokeswoman told Personnel Today: "Harassment of any kind is completely unacceptable in the Armed Forces.

"Our aim is to create an environment where inappropriate behaviour is challenged. ARRSE is a wholly independent chat forum with no connection to the MoD. Membership is open to anybody and is not exclusively for service personnel."

A statement on the ARRSE website said members should treat the forum as "an environment similar to a real-life Naafi bar".

Yes, a non story

2. And the MoD isn't ashamed of being a bloated job creation scheme for mongs?

3. My thoughts exactly! Of all the things MoD could be embarrassed about and they chose this... :roll:

4. Lewd Comments on the forums??? No never .

5. A non-story which actually enabled MoD to get one of it's recent and proper messages out again.

I am alarmed that this journalist sought to ignore the warnings on the Naafi Bar, seemingly with the intention of creating a petit-scandal in the HR world , but MoD responded well

That's the second time a journalist has lifted a story, from an area that is obviously there purely for sh*ts and giggles.

How lazy can you get?

6. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

How lazy do you want?

7. The MoD has set up a committee to look into it and to formulate an approach to dealing with such matters.

The committee will be staffed by a number of senior civil servants and the relavnt support staf and is expected to report in 2010.

8. As part of a democracy we haver the right to our own thoughts and a forum to place them - those within we know the score so worry not.

As it says on the NAAFI door if entering within causes offence - STAY OUT!

Those outside don't triffle in what you know nothing about and are not placed to comment because you have never chosen to serve as we have. Until you have made the same sacrific as we have, along side us, don't judge us by your own low morale standards!!

And have a nice day all :)

Cheers

9. Now that does concern me. Isn't there something more useful we could be getting for our taxes?

(Unless I've misunderstood something here. :oops: )

10. Well done Facey. Will there be a photo in the Angling Times? :D

11. MMMmmmm....

http://www.personneltoday.com/Articles/2007/03/14/39644/spokesman-for-the-british-army-rumour-service-website-admits-racism-and-sexism-are-still-big.html

"But in an e-mail to Personnel Today on behalf of the website, someone calling themselves 'Bad Commanding Officer' conceded that discrimination was a major problem in the Armed Forces.

"The Army is an organisation that recruits from some of the most deprived areas of our society," he said. "The young people who come from these backgrounds have often been failed by their parents, the educational system and society. I have no doubt that both sexism and racism remain significant issues, both in deprived areas of the country and in our Armed Forces."

12. Oh dear, these guys really aren't doing any homework. I would think that maybe one of our resident trolls has been on an e-mail frenzy?

13. What does lewd mean?

14. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer