MoD criticised over soldier death

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by devexwarrior, Mar 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Words fail..........

2. How many times are we going to hear a variation on this themem before something changes.

3. A few anomalies to clear up.

Is 'skidding' part of a scimitars CES? Is it G1098, is it supplied by the army at all or is it purchased locally?

Is a lance corporal of seven years service considered inadequate in His experience and training to direct and take part in the vehicles repairs - indeed, do the household cavalry promote inadequately trained soldiers?

According to Mick Smiths blog, . . . . the link, L/Cpl Tansey was in action when He died - was this taken into account in the inquest?

4. My thoughts for what it's worth..............

My bold: I disagree, each vehicle has a pretty comprehensive CES.
    Even if every veh had "Skidding" (Gun planks etc) would soldiers always use it before going under the vehicle?

Changing a Torsion bar is a difficult job, all dependant on the situation the vehicle is in and at which point the bar is snapped.

If they were issued where are 3 or 4 gun planks going to be stowed on a Scimitar?

What are the chances of Jacking Strut/Torsion Bar failure compared with the amount of time spent under the vehicle?

Is the Jacking Strut able to hold the weight of an operational Scimitar fully bombed up and equipped with MBP, extra armour and BAR Armour?

The torsion bars are not designed to cope with the extra weight mentioned above.

Torsion Bars can just snap, even while the vehicle is parked up.

A sad loss of a fine young soldier who was doing his best in the situatuion he was in at the time. Every equipment failure and breakdown on Ops is different. You instantly risk assess in your head and get on with it.

It was a tragic accident with sad consequences that happened during Operations.

RIP Sean.

5. Me and the CSM, A Coy, 3 PARA carried the stretcher onto the Chinook at Sangin, I remember the scream for a medic the day it happened, I was in the FSG tower, Sean was working in the tank park co-located with the Engineers, the Engineers used a J Cab to lift the Scimitar. What a sad waste when you survive what Sangin had to offer and died that way.

6. Good to see a coroner who has ignored Browne and Ainsworth's pitiable attempts at gagging and bullying.

7. Chatting to some of the HCR lads and Commanders, half the Scimitars were condemned during Telic 2003, but with the usual constraints were told they had to deploy with vehicles that were over due casting. The reality was on that day we had to have that vehicle fixed as one was stuck in a Wadi to the south of Sangin DC compound, the Taliban were constantly engaging it and trying to overun the position to get the Tank.

8. Well said that man, couldn't agree more.

9. I'll Seconded that and just add that Oxfordshire Assistant Deputy Coroner Andrew Walker should never have to buy his own drinks! If only there was a medal....

10. I would like to ask my questions again, because I think they go to the heart of this

Is 'skidding' part of a scimitars CES? Is it G1098, is it supplied by the army at all or is it purchased locally?

Is a lance corporal of seven years service considered inadequate in His experience and training to direct and take part in the vehicles repairs - indeed, do the household cavalry promote inadequately trained soldiers?

11. all planks, skidding etc etc is held either on a crane or in an iso for us!! no-one even thinks bout it for the fat badges!!

Too much kit and not enough space....

12. Unless things have changed mightily, the answer is no.
    Further,torsion bar changes were, and this was many moons ago you understand, the job of a Driver/mech or VM IIRC.

Problem is, that while I applaud the general principal of the coroners court, <cliche alert> when push comes to shove, the overiding desire of any RAC crewman is to get the vehicle back into action/on the road ASP. If we lacked that drive then the American (air?)crew syndrome takes over ie "Shit man, I just ride 'em"
    This sounds like one of those tragic times that ambition exceeded capability.

Note for those further up the thread.

"It's not a fcucking tank!"

13. I have never heard the term "skidding" before? It isn't part of the Scimitar CES. The only wooden "gun planks" I have ever used in the past have been taken from the LAD Samson or Foden. I have never chocked under a vehicle while I or someone else was under it.

I have seen various methods used to lift the vehicle when changing Torsion Bars from 2 x 10 Tonne Trolley Jacks to lifting the front of the veh using the Foden crane or suspending it on 3 or 4 Jacking Struts! (Not recommended)

Sven, you know that the HCR and every other Regt promotes soldiers who are adequately trained, please stop shit stirring, it achieves nothing.