MoD consider giving away HMS Victory!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by TheSpecialOne, Sep 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Ministry of Defence said the 18th century warship was expensive to maintain and that her funding was currently under review.

This could see her passed to a private firm or given to a charity to save cash. The MoD says increasing budgetary pressures mean it must review Victory's future like any other ship.

But a former Commanding Officer of Victory and ex-First Sea Lord said handing over the oldest commissioned warship in the world to a private company would make a mockery of Portsmouth's naval heritage.

Lt Cmdr Michael Cheshire, now retired, was Commanding Officer of Victory from 1992 to 1998 and was awarded an MBE for his services to the Royal Navy.

He said: 'If they sell her or give her away to charity it will be an absolute tragedy.

'This magnificent ship means so much to both naval people and the whole nation – selling it to a private firm would turn it into Disneyland and would be its ruin.

'I think Portsmouth would suffer as a city.

'HMS Victory is the core of the naval base, the core of Portsmouth, and to sell off this icon would indicate the decline of the Royal Navy.'

HMS Victory costs a minimum of £1.5m to maintain and run each year, but that figure can go up when major work is needed.

Up to half a million people visit her at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard annually, with entrance fees divided up and shared between all the major attractions.

The MoD said it was considering whether to hand Victory over to a private company, a charitable trust similar to the one that looks after the Mary Rose, another government department or keep the status quo.

A Ministry of Defence spokeswoman said the department was committed to keeping Victory in the best possible condition, adding that sticking with the current set-up was one of the options.

She also said that whatever happened, Victory would remain a commissioned warship.

http://www.modoracle.com/news/MOD-Consider-Giving-Away-HMS-Victory_16472.html

2. The Liabour Government know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

3. Surely the way things are going it's only a matter of time before Victory is called back to active duty, isn't it?

4. Or the RN flying a kite to remind the bean counters at the Treasury that their political Masters have to be elected and this would be political suicide for ZNL. Well done to the RN for flashing the Ace card.

5. Seconded.

Q. HMS Victory must surely generate enough revenue to cover it's costs?

6. If this had appeared in the Daily Hate I'd have dismissed it as shit stirring. But seeing as it is in Oracle (same journalistic standards as the Hate but slightly better connected) it's pretty alarming and very sad. If we can let Victory go, what's safe?

7. I have a clear picture in my head of a very exasperated camel with a beady glint in it's eye looking squarely at a ZANU Labourite who is poised to drop a load of straw on it's back.

How odd...

8. Have had the priviledge of being invited to the Seniors Mess on Victory and can understand the RN anger.

It is very special and to let this go would be the confirmation, if we needed one, that Liarbour have no understanding of being British.

9. I'd doubt it. Family Angular recently spent a day there; £50 for 4 of us, with a harbour tour, entry into the Mary Rose, HMS Warrior and the Victory, plus all the other museums and attractions. One of the best value days out we've had in a long time. Kept all of us interested from 10 till 4, and the youngest is only three.

See it now before it becomes 'HMS Victory sponsored by EDF' :x

10. A more appropriate sponsor:

[​IMG]

(For the youngster amongst you, they're sweets).

11. Better idea, let's sell off the Houses of Parliament. They cost a fortune to maintain. Make damn fine hotel if you ask me. Much better use for them.

12. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Could be worse: Imagine 'HMS Victory sponsored by EDS'

13. Luckily the Gov't uses an online petition system for us to register our contempt. Which they then ignore.

14. Whilst I can sympathise with our fish head friends - I'm afraid it probably goes no further than that. A couple of years ago my Regiment - an older beastie that the aforementioned ship - was consigned to the dustbin of history along with several others. So, my sympathies Horatio, you may be a little more PR friendly, but you are not the first...

15. I am sure it will be "donated" to some private company that has a few "directors" in the gubmint, then sold off elsewhere to make a fortune for the company.....