MoD Combats Urban Myths About Defence And The Armed Forces

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MOD_Oracle, Nov 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't believe a word the MOD says, because it's controlled by a New Labour Government.

I am however heartened that they are worried enough to start issuing rebuttals. They must smell blood somewhere in the water.

Edited to add:

Have we always lived in this bizarre Alice-through-the-looking-glass world where there are two versions of "reality?" That is to say the world which officialdom paints versus the one we actually live in? Or has it accelerated to even more bizarre levels under this preposterous regime that a minority of us actually voted for? Just wait for the shiny-arses to start accusing any dissenters of having motives beyond that of simply telling the truth as they experience it. The bit about the 3 PARA case on that site is quite simply hilarious....the APA is independent of Lord Goldsmith's dpeartment? Sorry, I think I just wet myself.

V!

2. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

They forgot to counter some other statements: 'many service personnel could not vote in the general election due to MoD bungling' and 'Ministers state that waiting time for Iraq medal is 3 months'

3. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

A fascinating set of straw dolls which the MOD have efficiently set up and then knocked down.

4. There are lies, damn lies and statistics.

5. Who are these clowns trying to fool? while I see huge "positive" responces to Army surveys why is that not reflected here or elsewhere?

No smoke without fire, the MoD are running scared and as directed to by the politicos are trying to put a gloss over this governments disgraceful treatment and abuse of the Army.

Load of rubbish

6. msr

msr LE

d) introducing silver-lined anti-bacterial underwear

Has anyone actually been issued these?

msr

7. msr

msr LE

The Army is under strength

As at 01 July 2005 (the most recent available figures) the British Army is 97.5% manned against its target Full Time Trained Strength. Officer manning is at 98.2% of its target. Other ranks are at 97.3% against its target.

Clearly this does not apply to the TA.

msr

8. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Are they the ones supplimented with the two pencils, one for each nostril?

9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I am afraid that to be seen to react like this is obvious evidence of fear or weakness.

I notice nothing there about the Reserves - we obviously don't count, or there are no 'myths' about us worth rebutting. How about (as MSR noted) countering any suggestion that TA strengths are falling? Or that there are roughly 1/4 as many places available each year for TA Recruit Courses as there are people leaving? Or that, once demobilised, TA soldiers are unable to use the Defence Medical Services? Or that I still haven't got my bloody Telic Medal yet, over two years after having qualified?

Not that I'm bitter or anything....

How about a new thread - "Myths that we'd like to see rebutted?"
    I offer the first three of my questions above as a starter.

10. I don't usually go in for conspiracy theories, but does anyone else find the timing of this report and the Terror Bill vote more than just a little cosy?

On a slow news day this would have been picked up - but Mr Blair's kicking got the frontpages.

I'm also aware that many of the strawmen arguements that the MoD put up are effectively rebuttals to many threads in ARRSE!

So we have them rattled - time to press home the advantage.

11. Hmm, just to tackle the "using own kit" issue!

I don't know anyone who doesn't use some of their own kit! I think issue kit is generally good but could do better and everyone adds to it when they can. Even if its just having to sew elastic to webbing, replace torches with maglites or head mounted etc etc!

The issue kit is about good enough, just but most people adapt it to make it pore personal and "user friendly"?

12. Funny that, but instead of rebutting a number of these 'urban legends', they have actually just confirmed them to be true! :roll:

13. Yes, interesting that there is no rebuttal of the 6,000 understrength and haemoraging 500 troops per month 'claims'. One has to wonder whether this is simply on oversight. If indeed the Army is now 'One Army', then this is not an answer to the question which the MoD itself;

The statement is true, but it is carefully crafted to tell a truth rather than the truth in rebuttal of the 'urban myth'. The Regular British Army might well be manned to 97.5% of its 'target Full Time Trained Strength'. Back of a fag-packet maths will tell you that that is not the case for 'The British Army', which is, perhaps, a little bit relevant, even if one only considers that, as;

Defence Select Committee - Conclusion to First Report on SDR - 27 Jan 99

14. It also fails that the trained strength of the army has been steadily reduced in the death by a thousand cuts we have been suffering since "Options for Change/ SDR etc. Even if we were full strength, there are not enough regular troops to go round whatever the alleged percentage of manning, this is pure spin. Add to this the recent spate of defence jobs closure, defence contracts going overseas and we see a pattern emerging. Government policy is usually to deliberately run an industry into the ground prior to privatising it (Look at the rail industry). In this case replace privatisation with European Defence Force. It is only a matter of time before one of our lords and masters states that in the interest of efficiency it would be in our national interest to pool our defence with Europe. As for the kit issues, most of the kit they mention was stuff that soldiers were having to buy in the first place anyway. As for the 3 para issue, who the feck do they think they are kidding? The MOD should be forced to launch a public inquiry into the reasons for that case being proceeded with. Did the 10 million come from the defence budget? I gotta work now but in the immortal words of Arnie.....I'll be back!

ps. High morale?..... That's a good one!