MoD close to eliminating 'black hole' in budget

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dave8307, Feb 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't know if this is posted elsewhere on ARRSE, if so I apologise.

According to that earstwhile paper, The Independant, MOD is close to eliminating the black hole in the budget:

"An MoD spokesman said Defence Secretary Philip Hammond was increasingly confident that the ministry was "turning a corner" and will be able to invest in new equipment projects. He was unable to confirm reports that £2.1 billion has been earmarked for several major new spending projects."

However:
    According to the Daily Telegraph, these could include converting 22 RAF Merlin helicopters for movements over sea; a new fleet of advanced Type 26 frigates for the Royal Navy; an upgrade for Puma helicopters; and the extension of the array of armaments available to the Typhoon fighter jet.

My Bold....I've scanned the Telegraph and can find no article of this sort...

For the full story see here:

MoD close to eliminating 'black hole' in budget - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

2. Oh good it's that time where elections are a bit nearer. We could see some tax breaks in the budget.

3. Next fill in the "black hole" in morale. I can't think of a time in my 37 years plus in the Army where it has been lower.

4. It should read:
    MoD close to eliminating 'black hole' in budget by shitcanning most of it's capability.

I could eliminate my mortage by selling my house - but I would have no where to live!

If they have found an additional 2.1 Billion then they need to go and buy some P-8A Posidon's off the shelf very quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Or perhaps 'black' will just be re-defined as 'shades of grey'?

6. They are closing down the RAF?

7. Or alternatively 'Labour gave your money to the lazy, we've given it to our mates with loads of cash, cheers suckers'.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

No, binning the TA.

9. At last. The inadequate controls on expenditure, pathetic forecasting, wild optimism over costs, hidden project creep and overwhelming lack of awareness of what the nation state is supposed to deliver, all solved in very short order.

We are talking about Greece aren't we?

10. Funnily enough, I was discussing Government IT projects with someone this morning, and he said pretty much the same thing.

11. Thing is, there's no such thing as a Gunmint IT project. Actaully, they are all programmes of change.

Problem (for gunmint) is that change is complex, diffcult, time-consuming and requires good leadership, with vision and 100% commitment to success. Not exactly characteristics the establishment drills into its Sybil Serpents (or, on reflection, into its Generals, based on their long-term performance in Procurement, and/or their last decade or so of f#cking up in places dusty)

Far, far easier for politicos - of wotever stripe - to talk bollicks about big IT projects (NHS National Programme For IT is an excellent example).

When it all fails, they can blame the IT providers (who walk away smiling, having trousered a massive wedge), and avoid having to acknowledge that actually the failure is a failure of Strategic Leadership (direction setting/properly determining the limits of the possible, by politicos) and of Operational leadership (assiduously developing, rigorously assessing, and determinedly/intelligently implementing, viable plans to achieve the defined aim) within the various departments of state.

12. My bold. You didn't look very hard did you?

MoD balances books first time in four decades, Defence Secretary to announce - Telegraph

13. How sterotypically Yorkshire T'layburr were bad but T' ories were wurrse

14. I didn't say that as both are rotten to the core.

15. Good man! The SofS is my local MP and, whilst I may not agree with his politics (and I have made no secret of the fact on here that I vehemently dislike Cameron, Clegg and their Coalition), he strikes me as an honurable man attempting to do his best. Maybe being the 'spreadsheet king' is what the MoD actually needed - a SofS who could actually read the bottom line and decide on (a) how to balance the books and then (b) what the spending priorities are thereafter. He may well have done the Nation a greater service than we all reailse.

• Like Like x 1