MoD cant bank with me anymore

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by KhakiCrab, Apr 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I expect there as many barrack room accountants as there are barrack room lawyers on ARRSE.

    The Brave New JPA World appears to require that we lowly servants of the Crown loan the MoD money whenever we go anywhere where there is no military accommodation and so forth. By which I mean that we bung our HOTAC on our credit card and claim it back through JPA.

    How about when your credit card is bouncing off its limiter?
  2. mysteron

    mysteron LE Book Reviewer

    So, the expenses system is now just the same as every corporation in the world that pays one month in arrears?

    I work for a Fortune 100 company and it reported last year that it maintained over $26 Billion (yes Billion) in Cashflow throughout the year.

    I rack up about £200 - 600 per week in expenses and get it paid back about 3 - 6 weeks in arrears once I have claimed. My example is not earth shatteringly different to the rest of the world.

    The MoD is just catching up with normal business processes and those still serving or have no real experience of life on the outside are just beginning to realise how it all really works. The next round of Government cuts will only make you see how easy servants of the crown have had it until now. I learnt that lesson the hard way when I left.

    Welcome to the real world. Not fun is it?

    Oh and when you CC is on its limit.... then you can go through the painful process of asking for cash up front - or alternatively go the must less painful way of asking Mr Bank Manager to extend your CC and explain why. My CC that use exclusively for expenses has a £15k limit on it due to the volume it can get to. That is very depressing when it is getting close to bill time and they haven't coughed up yet.
  3. Same here. As a Home Office employee I have to do the same. However you can apply for an IMPREST account. They still use Carlson Wagonlit to book the rooms though. So you ring them, tell them were and when you want to stay. then you pay! The Govt then pay them for being a booking service - now that's a waste of money!
  4. seaweed

    seaweed LE Book Reviewer

    In my cushy afterlife we all had AmEx cards for which we were personally liable, but as long as one sent in one's expenses fairly promptly one got the money back in time to settle the AmEx, so no probs. Also by having the AmEx separate from my own cards I had a good readout of my expenses month to month from the AmEx statements.
  5. mysteron

    mysteron LE Book Reviewer

    Seaweed, we have that option if you want it.

    Since I am personally liable on Corporate AMEX, I might as well use my own credit card and take the benefits (HHonours, Airmiles & Cashback) that goes with it.

    If I were in the Army, I would do the same.
  6. Or if you are travelling a lot, then why not see if you can get a GPC card?
  7. JPA is no different from the previous system - get an cash advance to cover most of the cost.
  8. Or book into the closest Mess accommodation and save yourself the credit card Hassle and the army a fortune :D

    After all there are very few places that are more than 2 hours away from a Barracks and 2 hours is not an unreasonable commute time 8O

    It’s a brave new world of saving Tax payers money :D :D
  9. Nothing new here, during Kosovo I was at MOD in a hotel and was expected to pay about £3000 a month up-front for the hotel
  10. The best choice as no one takes AMEX .......... I suppose its one way of saving money !
  11. I wholeheartedly agree. JPA has the system to claim an advance and if you include anticipated food and incidentals you can cover the majority of costs.

    As much as people slate JPA I have never had a problem with claims. They have been paid in within a couple of working days of making them.
  12. I had a GPC card when I was working out of an RAF unit doing regular Aeromed shouts, but now I'm in a Tri-Service (for that read Army-in-charge) unit, whose attitude is largely 'Aeromed? Fcuk off!'

    Which is fine until it's their mucker or them that needs me to go get 'em.

  13. Stop schimfing and do your job. In the whole of Div HQ, the only person who gets a GPC card is the GOC (well, and his ADC). There are plenty of folk who do a lot of travelling, and they all manage nicely without one.

    And before you start, no, not all of the trips we make are planned for well in advance and can therefore be budgeted for.
  14. The taxman is gonna get ya!

    Airmiles and customer loyalty bonuses gained on re-imbursed expense accounts are going to be treated as Benifit in Kind for tax purposes.*

    Hope you kept all the reciepts for those free flights and toys?

    * well alright it was mooted that this was going to happen but I never heard any more about it.
  15. Alsacien

    Alsacien LE Moderator

    I charge out at Eur250 a day for food and accom in Europe, plus travel at cost (invoiced). That would mean Eur 8000 for a month somewhere in Europe with a flight.
    Timesheets (customer signed) and expenses back to me within 5 working days of the month end, back to the customer by the 15th, I get paid at month end, then pay out on the 15th.
    I offer advances if needed, but it is a bit of hassle if a self employed sub-contracted body goes diffy or sick.

    I get to keep everyones money for 2 weeks, I don't make anything on it, but it is a good cash flow cushion.